Trial V Roosters

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
In regards to the new loitering in the ruck law ..
Is it a penalty for anyone in the ruck or only if the referee deems them as in the line of a chaser?
If it is the latter,then it seems it is up to the refs discretion which allows for even more claims of bull**** calls and favouritism.
Brown did not obstruct anyone in the first half.
The first set of 6 in the second half Collins stood in the same spot and actually obstructed BenT and no call.....
Going to need DCE and others to chat to the refs every week during the games this year......

Heaps of good individual ability in the newer additions and that has to be a real positive .
Thought that Faulao defence was noteworthy as well and Talau looks competitive .
Going to be hard to leave Nathan Brown out of the 17 , whether he will be considered as a run on 13 , hard to say . much will probably depend on prop considerations and with Sipley in some doubt and Jake maybe definitely needed up front .
Brown would not look out of place as the 13 on yesterday "s effort however .
Shame that Lodge will not be available for a while as Paseka in particular and Toff and Bulemor offer plenty of important go forward and sustainable also importantly . and Alioia must be fit and available soon surely
Wakeman is a not bad all round footy player and good speed , not easy to tail and run down Keary . Kicking maybe not his real strong point but should be adequate over time .
Paulo probably favored to take one wing spot although Vaega certainly can make his presence felt on occasions and not slow by any means
.That is assuming Garrick will be a starting centre .
Burbo good involvement but maybe those one percenter efforts still to strive for ideally .
Not sure on the best back up for Croker , both Lawton and Humphries busy and keen , Gordie , well who knows .
Schuster will have to show some special touches and some level of durability to surely come into consideration for game one . Not being critical just some obvious reality .
No idea where Brad Parker will fit into the selection priorities , same with Arthur although he continues to show that he is a very tidy footy player .
Looks like Matterson down the pecking order a bit at present but sure will be able to offer something worthwhile over the season proper

Plus when you consider we bombed two dead set tries, that result could have been quite an achievement against an almost full strength Roosters. I was pretty impressed actually with our overall performance and with some individual performances. Nathan Brown I think just played himself into the 17 if not the 13 and Burbo picked up where he left off last week. I also thought Sips and Paseka had reasonable games and will only get better with match fitness. Bullemore impresses each time I see him play. Good position with our forward strength this year and I think this will lay the foundation for the best backline in the comp to blow opposition teams off the park!!
I wrote it in earlier posts on other threads Nathan Brown will be lock and first picked by mid season.. for round 1 he will be in the 17

In regards to the new loitering in the ruck law ..
Is it a penalty for anyone in the ruck or only if the referee deems them as in the line of a chaser?
If it is the latter,then it seems it is up to the refs discretion which allows for even more claims of bull**** calls and favouritism.
Brown did not obstruct anyone in the first half.
The first set of 6 in the second half Collins stood in the same spot and actually obstructed BenT and no call.....
Going to need DCE and others to chat to the refs every week during the games this year......
Another grey area for the refs to police, unless the powers to be make it black and white like the obstruction rule when a try is scored, if you're standing there like Brown, it's a no try even though no player was obstructed.

Solid hit out. A few of the young guys had a dig. Mostly steady as you goes approach. fair enough too
humpries looks a good player, same kind of mould as croker. We could do with a 9 that has that crisp long pass off the ruck. The extra time that buys forwards is gold

liked the energy of sykes. Dias went at his work with vigour. A few errors or overshoots but liked his approach . nathan brown was very busy. Loving the look of his efforts and what he brings to our 17

the outside backs all went pretty good overall. Respect for parker but glad he wont be needed out wide.

Lawman looks to behind the times at Manly. Maybe his game time and VC is about showcasing him and still trying to move him on
I would be against letting Lewman go and we look to pick up another prop..
I always liked Lawman but he had 3 in front of him now.

We need another prop incase injury and suspensions hit

I thought
Wakeham surprised me. He steered the team around well.

Brown is going to be sensation in the the A grade side.

Ray Ray prob our m.o.m for mine. 2 big errors were costly leaves a sour taste thats is 12 points difference. But well done Ray Ray he still showed more than anyone else on field. Two big bodied A grade Centre and Winger and he took it up to em and gave as good as he copped.

Faulalo. I'm Gunna say it now, he's too good for ressies. Just reads the game and has time.

Forwards disappointed. Condon ok. James just looked disinterested. Burbo positioning needs a little work.

Our one percenters were poor.

I keep telling my self it was mainly our 2s and their 1s.

But in all honesty I reckon rosters weren't going all out today. That was them playing 3/4. And getting the legs to roll over. I would have like to have seen us a little better in the forward than that today.

On to next week's trial. Trail:) trialling.
Wakeham surprised me. He steered the team around well.

Brown is going to be sensation in the the A grade side.

Ray Ray prob our m.o.m for mine. 2 big errors were costly leaves a sour taste thats is 12 points difference. But well done Ray Ray he still showed more than anyone else on field. Two big bodied A grade Centre and Winger and he took it up to em and gave as good as he copped.

Faulalo. I'm Gunna say it now, he's too good for ressies. Just reads the game and has time.

Forwards disappointed. Condon ok. James just looked disinterested. Burbo positioning needs a little work.

Our one percenters were poor.

I keep telling my self it was mainly our 2s and their 1s.

But in all honesty I reckon rosters weren't going all out today. That was them playing 3/4. And getting the legs to roll over. I would have like to have seen us a little better in the forward than that today.

On to next week's trial. Trail:) trialling.
I thought our one percent efforts were really good.
The held up try where we had about 5 guys scramble to hold the ball up encouraged me to think this manly mentality might be more than a catch phrase and the boys are buying in.

Absolutely exciting to have so many options. I'm literally clogged and unable to provide YARTS, because every time I think of one line-up, another alternative appears in my mind.

08. Matt Lodge
09. XXXXXXXX
10. Taniela Paseka
11. Haumole Olakau'atu
12. Josh Schuster
13. Jake Trbojevic

14. XXXXXXXXX
15. Josh Aloiai
16. Ethan Bullemor
17. Nathan Brown

Is the best I can come up with. That also means Trbojevic, Sipley, Woods, Waddell, Condon, Lawton and Fulton miss out !! I'm at a loss with how we approach the 9 and 14 (although, I'd love Arthur to be in the team SOMEWHERE - his form demands it - so possibly 14?)
Surely after the good service brown was giving as a link man today he will wear the 13. Live the idea of Jake in the front row and having lodge (when back) and Paseka fighting for the other spot. Will give us so much impact off the bench

I would be against letting Lewman go and we look to pick up another prop..
I always liked Lawman but he had 3 in front of him now.

We need another prop incase injury and suspensions hit
Rumoured in the off season he was free to go if he got a better deal

Roosters will be concerned that the manly reserves and flegg team members were still in the hunt after 75 minutes.

Easts realistically should have been 30 ahead by then, on paper.

If the manly backs could catch bombs there would have been an upset. Only beaten by errors.

After watching the replay this morning I was disappointed in the leadership (not skill) of Toff and Paseka.

Really shows the leadership of DCe Jakey and Tom challenging the team after mistakes. The fact that it was Toff and Paseka (and Woods) who were making the mistakes reinforces the recruitment of Lodge and Brown in the forwards.

I’d be going with Bullemor to replace Sips as he rarely disappoints.

I’ve got no idea for the 14 jersey but Humphreys and Jake Arthur would get it on form.

Who cares about the backs they are sweet as but Paulo is ahead of Rocks and Diamonte Ray Ray.

Round 1

1.Tom Trbojevic
2.Jason Saab
3.Reuben Garrick
4.Tolutau Koula
5.Joxson Paulo
6.Luke Brooks
7.Daly Cherry-Evans
8.Taniela Paseka
9.Lachlan Croker
10.Jake Trbojevic
11.Haumole Olakau'atu
12.Ben Trbojevic
13.Nathan Brown

14.Gordon Chan Kum Tong
15.Ethan Bullemor
16.Corey Waddell
17.Josh Aloiai

I know losing Sipley isn’t the best but might better for him in the long run, his had next to no pre season with a injured pec.

Roosters will be concerned that the manly reserves and flegg team members were still in the hunt after 75 minutes.

Easts realistically should have been 30 ahead by then, on paper.

If the manly backs could catch bombs there would have been an upset. Only beaten by errors.
Spot on and taking this (their form) into account, add their missing players (only JWH, Lenui, Smith) and our missing 8+ first-graders, I'd like to think that in round 2 we can turn yesterday's result around at Brookie.

Gents. We are getting carried away here with form and how we played for 65 mins.

It's a trial. Roosters won't give a toss about how Manly played.

It's good practice, however it's the premiership that matters.

We won the preseason comp last year and were useless in the premiership.

We have to walk the talk when the comp starts.

Last edited:
Gents. We are getting carried away here with form and how we played for 65 mins.

It's a trial. Roosters won't give a toss about how Manly played.

It's good practice, however it's the premiership that matters.

We won the preseason comp last year and were useless in the premiership.

We have to walk the talk when the comp starts.
Agree trial form mean little, but its the first televised Manly game of the year. Only natural we will disect and discuss.

I'm going to disagree with a few of you here and make the case for Jake starting at 13, even with Brown. You could see during, for example, the Panthers game early on, that his world-class defence isn't effectively utilised when he's at prop. The reason he can play there at NSW and international level is because the rest of the teams there can hold out their own in defence. In my opinion, Jake's defence is best utilised in the opening 20, at the lock position. I see it more likely for Brown to come off the bench, and force Jake up forward mid-game, similar to Dylan Walker. I think it's more likely to see this team come Vegas:

1. Turbo
2. Saab
3. Koula
4. Garrick
5. Paulo (Vaega offered both the most and least on Saturday, just not reliable enough)
6. Brooks
7. DCE
8. Paseka
9. Croker
10. Aloiai (minor injury from what I've heard)
11. Haumole (Haven't heard anything else about the hammy's so I'm assuming for now it's not true/important)
12. Ben Trbo
13. Jake
14. GCKT (I don't think Humphreys is quite there yet, give him more NSW cup for now, or 18th man)
15. Nathan Brown
16. Ethan Bullemor
17. Waddell/Schuster (second row replacement)
18. Brad Parker (probably best for injury cover at the moment)

mark my words, Brown will show you all his true colours this year. He can carry a footy but one of the reasons he was cut loose by Parra is his error rate. When the game is tight, he will dethrone Taupau for biggest liability is a Manly jumper in the last 20 years.

Wait for his fumble or hospital pass in a pressure situation and get back to me.

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8
8 4 4 -60 8