Trial Thread - Manly V Tigers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
With 9 being our Achilles heel at the moment I can't understand why Hasler didn't give Birt a run much sooner than he did, it's our most crucial position, I can only think that he's already got Crocker pencilled in and isn't looking for anyone else to fill the 9 jumper
Perhaps he didn't want to risk putting him on so early when there was still a lot of sting in the Tigers defensive line. By putting him out there with ten to go he got to see enough of the kid to know he can do a job. That's pretty much all that game was.

Was an ugly game to watch, but I'm not reading too much into it. As mentioned elsewhere, we lost 56-10 in a trial in 2008. Not saying we will win the comp but Dessie's teams seem to always start slow.

Its a trial

Schiluster looked as good as anyone hoped.

Davey better than most thought

Harper more versatile than most thought

Not a lot else going on either way.

We have a tough first month so hope they are focused on that rather than a trial. Would make sense.
This would have to be the most unexpected post i have read on here in a while. What's next? Perhaps @Woodsie will declare he has ditched Darwinism, fake science, and started a conspiracy group to expose NASA.

On a positive note, this season we will have a way better kicking game. The Shoe is very skilful and the experienced Foran will also provide judicious kick options. This will take some pressure off DCE who was virtually our only player with a licence to kick last season.
The other positive is that we should have at least one winger this season who will take advantage of our kicks.
Apart from these positives the trial was another reminder of how slow and limited our outside backs are in putting fellow players into gaps. Apart from The Shoe, our skill level was nowhere near that of the Tigers' backs.
It's a reality check; prior to the trial we were all saying how well covered we were in all positions (except hooker). Now: not so much!

Perhaps he didn't want to risk putting him on so early when there was still a lot of sting in the Tigers defensive line. By putting him out there with ten to go he got to see enough of the kid to know he can do a job. That's pretty much all that game was.
I hope you're right mate, I would have liked to have seen a lot more of him after hearing about his speed etc, hopefully we'll get to see him as the season progresses

Des's thoughts on the trial

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler was mostly unfazed by Sunday's 52-18 trial defeat against the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval because he didn't use several stars.

Hasler kept captain Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Jake Trbojevic, Dylan Walker, Jason Saab and Lachlan Croker on ice while Tom Trbojevic is out until about round four due to a hamstring issue.

The Sea Eagles copped a bigger setback than the scoreline with hooker Cade Cust suffering a suspected broken thumb during a tackle on Luciano Leilua in the 25th minute.

It leaves Croker as the likely No.9 for the season-opener against the Roosters, with Hasler saying the utility was "fine" despite reports of a hamstring issue at training last week.

"It was a trial, so you can't take too much more out of that. I'm not making excuses – Wests would be very happy with what they got – but we came into the trial with seven players out. We rested them for different reasons," Hasler told reporters.

"We purely rested [Croker]. They've got to come back in. The only one out of that seven who won't come back in will be Tom.

"We wanted to look at a few of the players, particularly some of the younger players. There were a couple of players who I thought performed very well."

Cust was going for X-rays after the match with the results to be known on Monday. He could be sidelined for a month or more at worst.

Hasler gave particular praise to forward recruits Josh Aloiai, who faced his former team with heavy strapping on the knee he injured last year, and ex-Eel Andrew Davey.

"Aloiai – I thought he came on [from the bench] and made a difference, and I thought Davey in the second half was strong," Hasler said.

He added that Morgan Harper, who played at fullback in Tom Trbojevic's absence and pulled off one particularly noteworthy try-saving tackle, performed solidly.

"He did really well. We'll break it down tomorrow and see where we are at. He's a good footy player. It's a good option to fall back on," Hasler said.

Precocious 19-year-old five-eighth Josh Schuster was a shining light, setting up the opening try for Kaeo Weekes with a cross-field kick, putting Ben Trbojevic over with a sweet short ball and scoring himself.

"There were some aspects of [Schuster's] game that were really strong, and aspects that he's still working on. He's only young, so he'll continue to work on those aspects.

"But he's going to be a great player."

A bit tough on Schuster mate, he was a level above the rest. Silky passing and a great step. His short kicking will come. He has to be in the 17.

I agree about Davey, he looked good.

I am also surprised not many have mentioned Gossie. He looked really good and troubled the Tigers every time he touched the ball.
Yeah I didn’t mean to sound harsh on Schuster. I said he had a great game, but probably didn’t put it the right way. He’ll be a star in no time, im sure. I just think we should make sure he is guided into first grade at a steady pace this year. He was great vs Tigers and a shining light, but the commentators were a little too happy go lucky when calling him I thought. So long as he keeps working and improving he’ll be a key player in 2021.

DCE and Jake were our only significant regulars out, claiming the difference was any of these "stars":

Turbo - hamstrings reliable as Northern Beaches public transport
Foran - classy but 65 games in 5 years whilst being held together with duct tape
Walker - rocks and diamonds, even bigger liability off the field
Saab - unproven rookie
Cust - makeshift hooker that just picked up a hand injury
Croker - majority here wanted him gone until Cust went down yesterday

Is clearly ignoring the team attitude and structures in attack and defence on display today. There was no semblance of desire, fitness or set plays to indicate this year will have any kind of shake up to address and improve on the areas around our game and personnel that torpedoed 2020.

Add all this and the rest onto Des' religious beliefs preventing him from having ever being able to spot a talented hooker (of the footy variety) nor the ability to utilise interchanges effectively and the signs of another long season are getting more ominous by the day.

If we're relying on those guys and that kind of coaching to make or break our season, I'm worried.

Only a trial so not fussed on results but Schuster needs to get that rushed kick on early tackles crap out of his game..
Was my only issue with him in his NRL debut, and this game was only 10 minutes in when he rushed a kick on second tackle with nothing on that served no purpose other than hand over the ball... It must be a real issue for the kid as it's all I've seen him do in the games ive seen

Yeah I didn’t mean to sound harsh on Schuster. I said he had a great game, but probably didn’t put it the right way. He’ll be a star in no time, im sure. I just think we should make sure he is guided into first grade at a steady pace this year. He was great vs Tigers and a shining light, but the commentators were a little too happy go lucky when calling him I thought. So long as he keeps working and improving he’ll be a key player in 2021.
Schuster needs to play from round one.

Des's thoughts on the trial

Sea Eagles coach Des Hasler was mostly unfazed by Sunday's 52-18 trial defeat against the Wests Tigers at Leichhardt Oval because he didn't use several stars.

Hasler kept captain Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Jake Trbojevic, Dylan Walker, Jason Saab and Lachlan Croker on ice while Tom Trbojevic is out until about round four due to a hamstring issue.

The Sea Eagles copped a bigger setback than the scoreline with hooker Cade Cust suffering a suspected broken thumb during a tackle on Luciano Leilua in the 25th minute.

It leaves Croker as the likely No.9 for the season-opener against the Roosters, with Hasler saying the utility was "fine" despite reports of a hamstring issue at training last week.

"It was a trial, so you can't take too much more out of that. I'm not making excuses – Wests would be very happy with what they got – but we came into the trial with seven players out. We rested them for different reasons," Hasler told reporters.

"We purely rested [Croker]. They've got to come back in. The only one out of that seven who won't come back in will be Tom.

"We wanted to look at a few of the players, particularly some of the younger players. There were a couple of players who I thought performed very well."

Cust was going for X-rays after the match with the results to be known on Monday. He could be sidelined for a month or more at worst.

Hasler gave particular praise to forward recruits Josh Aloiai, who faced his former team with heavy strapping on the knee he injured last year, and ex-Eel Andrew Davey.

"Aloiai – I thought he came on [from the bench] and made a difference, and I thought Davey in the second half was strong," Hasler said.

He added that Morgan Harper, who played at fullback in Tom Trbojevic's absence and pulled off one particularly noteworthy try-saving tackle, performed solidly.

"He did really well. We'll break it down tomorrow and see where we are at. He's a good footy player. It's a good option to fall back on," Hasler said.

Precocious 19-year-old five-eighth Josh Schuster was a shining light, setting up the opening try for Kaeo Weekes with a cross-field kick, putting Ben Trbojevic over with a sweet short ball and scoring himself.

"There were some aspects of [Schuster's] game that were really strong, and aspects that he's still working on. He's only young, so he'll continue to work on those aspects.

"But he's going to be a great player."

So if the 7 players out were Trbojevic x2, DCE, Foran, Walker, Saab and Croker where is Haumole?

Then why put him on at all. He could’ve very easily got injured in the 10 minutes he was on the field. I’m sure Birt would’ve thought he’d get the gig, once Cust went. Not a bloody prop.
Because he still wants to give him a taste and see how he goes while still limiting his chance of injury.

Do you think Des is a moron? That he honesty thought “Gee, the game has sped up with six again so I’ll play a prop there - that will fool them”. Really?

I think it’s because you are a half and have a good understanding of what is needed there so you focus a little more on it, which is a good thing.

Nobody his age comes into grade the finished product. Given what you can expect from someone who hasn’t played a season of first grade yet, he did very well.

I did think that apart from Gossie and Davey, that all of our players looked to lack a little fitness. They seemed to be blowing harder than the tigers.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4