Trent Barrett

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Shut down JT and the Cows are rudderless. Shut down DCE and Manly will be rudderless. Barrett better find a Morgan, Maloney, Austin type.

The (when uninjured) structured left/right attack has been our most potent weapon the last few years.Very interested to see if the roving option will work with Dce.

Shut down JT and the Cows are rudderless. Shut down DCE and Manly will be rudderless. Barrett better find a Morgan, Maloney, Austin type.

Mate... You just said shut down JT and the cows are rudderless...so how would having a Morgan type help us?

Last edited:
I know a good running 5/8...

cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

(sorry that never gets old to me)

Not an impressive start from Barrett IMO.

FG coaches dont have informal talks about a job and then suddenly sign a contract in round 21.

The riff got rid of him half way through the season because he had already agreed to come to Manly and was actively trying to poach riff players. Tell the truth

Saying that DCE will have full control of the team next year is simply trying to deflect the pressure off him as a rookie coach onto DCE. If the team doesn't fire next year he will most likely blame DCE.

Rookie coach under immensure pressure to be sucessul from day one. Not sure he is going to handle it

He has a Grahm Lowe smell about him already

FG coaches dont have informal talks about a job and then suddenly sign a contract in round 21.

The riff got rid of him half way through the season because he had already agreed to come to Manly and was actively trying to poach riff players. Tell the truth

Saying that DCE will have full control of the team next year is simply trying to deflect the pressure off him as a rookie coach onto DCE. If the team doesn't fire next year he will most likely blame DCE.

Rookie coach under immensure pressure to be sucessul from day one. Not sure he is going to handle it

I'll offer a counterpoint to a few of the things you raised:

- Most head hunted people will get sounded out "informally" early on the piece to gauge interest, etc. They aren't officially hired until their employment contract is signed, much later down the track. This happened to me in my current role. Sounded out about 6 months before formally brought on. BUT - either way this is only really an issue if you want to perpetually relive the past. We as a collective fan base need to move on and focus on the future. What's done is done.

- He wants DCE to not be restricted to one side of the field. The Thurston stuff was more in regards to positional stuff.

- He also seemed to be aware of the pressure and did not shy from it. He knows he has to win and win early. He sounded up for it if anything.

To be fair to Barrett I am sure Penn and Kelly have instructed him not to tell the exact time that he signed his contract. If he did it would make management hated more than they already are.

Barrett hasn't addressed our major weakness for next year - lack of forwards who will make 100+ metres a game consistantly and who will dominate other forward packs.

Lussick, Myles and brown won't improve our pack and they are no better than Mason. Sao and Horo.

Barrett hasn't addressed our major weakness for next year - lack of forwards who will make 100+ metres a game consistantly and who will dominate other forward packs.

Lussick, Myles and brown won't improve our pack and they are no better than Mason. Sao and Horo.
Got to say I am disappointed Horo has gone. Very good for us in 2013 & 2015. Don't see why we needed Brown when we already have similar players in Buhrer and Leary. Where is our power running backrower??

Couldn't disagree with you more - way off the mark. Being upset at the Penns and Toovey's treatment is one thing, transferring that anger onto Barrett after a very impressive first interview is silly.

Wouldn't that be our chief recruiter - Bozo - who hasn't addressed that?
Unless you think Bozo is starting to suffer dementia that is one thing he would never, ever forget. Through his whole career he espoused the necessity of having forward muscle. I don't believe there is any dementia (so make of that what you will…) ;)

• 🤝
Reactions: Rex

He hasn't even officially started with the club and you are already saying he hasn't addressed our major weakness?? Seriously?? Bozo did the recruiting, sure Barrett would have had informal chats with some of them, and recommended the Penrith players, but he didn't miss the signing of Tom Burgess. He also can't arrange signings of top forwards that would address our issues if they are not off contract until end of 2016 (which is the case).

The guy hasn't even started and you are into him. If you were in a situation where you were getting hammered by someone for a job you hadn't even started yet - what would you think of that person?

Last edited:
Anyone who thinks Myles is not an upgrade over Mason is kidding themselves.

I thought Barrett was cautious and reserved and showed he has his own ideas but doesn't want to give too much away in his first public appearance. I thought he was also quite respectful of Tooves and the situation.

In regards to his DCE comments - I would rather nobody other than the players knew his game plan until round 1...

Interesting as well with his DCE/JT comments - Cartwright being the Cowboys assistant. Maybe some inside info on how they structure their attack. A Granville style speedy hooker. DCE at 7. Our pack is still nowhere near theirs though...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6