Trent Barrett as assistant coach?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
Trent Barrett is poised to make a dramatic mid-season switch from the Penrith Panthers to join the Manly Sea Eagles as assistant to beleaguered coach Geoff Toovey.

The news of Barrett's potential arrival at Brookvale could have ramifications on the future of departing star halfback Daly Cherry-Evans, who has signed a much publicised multi-million dollar four-year deal with the Gold Coast Titans, but has until round 13 to change his mind.

Fairfax Media understands the Sea Eagles have been in negotiations with Barrett for almost two months and are close to finalising a deal that would see the former Test five-eighth join the club as early as next month.

While Toovey still has another year to run on his contract at Manly, it is understood Barrett is being groomed to take over, possibly as early as next year if the struggling Sea Eagles fail to turn their season around.

The Sea Eagles have been working overtime trying to entice Cherry-Evans to stay at Manly and it is believed a new coach may help the club's cause.

While the Sea Eagles have moved swiftly to bolster their forward pack by signing international front rower Nate Myles for next year, it has also been noted that the Queenslander is close friends with Cherry-Evans and could be vital in convincing the halfback to stay in Sydney.

Fairfax Media understands that Cherry-Evans is keen to play behind an imposing forward pack, which is why he was initially keen to link with the Titans.

To that end, it is believed the Sea Eagles are interested in luring his former teammate Darcy Lussick back to the northern beaches from Parramatta to bolster their forward stocks and also provide Cherry-Evans with further incentive to renege on his lucrative deal with the TItans.

Barrett, who is regarded as one of the best young coaches in the game, had been promoted from Penrith's Holden Cup coach to Ivan Cleary's assistant this season.

The potential move coincides with the return of immortal Bob Fulton, who also has a strong relationship with Barrett during their time together at representative level.

Barrett had previously been linked to the North Queensland Cowboys and Wests Tigers head coaching positions.

Cherry-Evans, who has reportedly invested in real estate on the Gold Coast, has failed to silence the speculation about a potential backflip on his Titans deal.

Last week he told Fox Sports: "I guess it would be a curious situation to see what does eventuate if (Manly) do offer something".

"There is still two weeks left, so two more weeks of speculation. There is a rule in place which gives Manly every opportunity to do what they have to retain me.

"With the decision, I have nothing to change at the moment. I'm happy with my decision to go to the Gold Coast, and as we know there is a rule in place which allows Manly to have a go at retaining me."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...itch-to-manly-sea-eagles-20150525-gh9ee9.html

Just read that online.

Now Bozo has set his sights on terminating the little guy; dead man walking.
I accept our results are poor this year, but cannot accept 2V is solely to blame.

Anyways, but to the Cherry thread.

Just read that online.

Now Bozo has set his sights on terminating the little guy; dead man walking.
I accept our results are poor this year, but cannot accept 2V is solely to blame.

Anyways, but to the Cherry thread.

Whilst I agree and he has had the worst injury toll I can remember. However with that said, something is a little fishy with all of this and the constant rumours around Tooves.

I used to think the media were more or less constantly muck raking and often they are, however with quite a few things the early reports have actually been correct. If DCE stays then I would say this is true and that Tooves won't be our coach next season

Could prove to be a very smart move if Barrett does come our way

Have read things from people whose opinion I'd rate pretty highly on this topic saying Barrett will be an outstanding NRL coach in the near future

I hope tooves gets a rolled gold roll next year doing something at manly, but it won't be coach, I don't think.

I can't keep up, but seriously, do we really want this guy teaching our players to perform push-ups in their underwear?

blue-steel.jpg

As for Barrett being "regarded as one of the best young coaches in the game", who says? The same guy who rates Brad Arthur? Or maybe the PR guru who somehow ensured every mention of Todd Greenberg was followed by the words, "regarded as one of the best young administrators in rugby league."
What the hell has Barrett achieved? What's his connection to Manly? Why would we want him at our club?

Bozo says - he is the one pushing for Barrett

We need to get a kick start to 2015, so if TB is it, lets give it a go - I'm tired of our lackluster games @:cool:

If he comes as and assistant to Tooves for a year or 2 and then Tooves is happy to step out of the head coach role for a different role at the club then I'd be ok with it. Provided he is indeed as good as all these people seem to think.

Let's not forget Arko's comments about staying too long in a coaching role. If Tooves goes, I have faith in Bozo to ensure that he is looked after in another role with the club.

I can't keep up, but seriously, do we really want this guy teaching our players to perform push-ups in their underwear?

blue-steel.jpg

As for Barrett being "regarded as one of the best young coaches in the game", who says? The same guy who rates Brad Arthur? Or maybe the PR guru who somehow ensured every mention of Todd Greenberg was followed by the words, "regarded as one of the best young administrators in rugby league."
What the hell has Barrett achieved? What's his connection to Manly? Why would we want him at our club?

Phil Gould is 1 of them, 1 of the best rugby league brains in the business.

Has had some success at lower levels. Assistant at Penrith under Cleary and Gould so would have gained plenty of quality knowledge and seems to do a decent job with the country side

So Tooves is gone for next year just a matter of who replaces him. Can't see Barrett joining 2 be an assistant for any longer than this season.

Funny how the leaks seem 2 be reappearing

Last edited:
Phil Gould is 1 of them, 1 of the best rugby league brains in the business.

Has had some success at lower levels. Assistant at Penrith under Cleary and Gould so would have gained plenty of quality knowledge and seems to do a decent job with the country side

Has a good record coaching Country also.

I don't want to say that I told you so but in my post of 2 April 2015 I said:

Hello all fellow diehard Manly supporters. I am a life long Manly supporter who has followed this site with interest for many years, even when it was part of the club website - so go easy on me with my first post. I love 2V both as a player & coach. I have info that Trent Barrett will be the coach next year, or sooner if the wins dont come soon....Dont laugh...it will happen.

Sea Eagle 4 Life, Apr 2, 2015

So we're signing everyone close to Dce to try & entice him to stay.Why don't you stay as thousands of your other friends want you to stay.Us FAAAAANNS.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6