Travis solution

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Dan

Kim Jong Dan
Staff member
Administrator
Tipping Member
Ok so I am thinking that with the current player roster and abundance of halves etc, our best option will be for us to start turning Travis burns into a Lock. I know he is small but he has the mongrel and he has the skills, just no tthe size.

thoughts?

A lock?

Are you serious? He is way to thin.

Maybe if we were to create a new position and scrap the lock? Just let him roam and inject when he wants to and tackle his heart out.

It would work considering we have a backrow that plays 80mins and 3 props on the bench.

Rather see Matai head that way. Monas is out of here shortly so leave Lyon at centre and Burns at 5/8. Ballin to start as hooker. Matai can reinvent himself or play PL.

If need be we could turn Burns into a utility bench player to cover halves and hooker, which would be a better option than back row.

I can agree with that. He needs to be a bit bigger... but he doesn't really have the attack of a half.

He has a decent kick on him and is a top defender.. with ball in hand all he basically does is run it himself so I see no problem with him putting on a little bulk and doing basically what he already does.. run hard with the ball and tackle hard.

If someone gets injured during the gane or is suspended/injured he can slot back into the 6 and push Lyon out to centre.

C & C, I'm a thousand % sure that Lyon will play 6 whenever he gets the chance.

Burns COULD as you say be a utility player but I don't think he would enjoy that too much.. I think his best bet to get game time is to head to lock.

Yeah, the main concern is that if Burns gets stuck on the bench he will most likely try and find a new team.

Im not sold on lyon at 5/8 yet so i wouldnt want burns to move out of that role too much. Most locks these days are in the brad clyde/Bk mould rather than a kosef/anasta type. Next year MM will be gone so that takes out 1 of the halves causing the issue.

This year when beaver is back surely he will slip back into lock as he played in round 1 (no matter what number he was wearing) and you couldnt drop stewy2 or choc. Which pushes willo to the bench or PL. So no room for travis there.

Our centre pairing should be bell and Lyon but we want to keep matai for when bell moves on and injuries/rep selection periods. So where do you fit him?

Lets face it when fully fit we have too many first graders that need to be there for one reason or another.

3 centres
4 halves/hookers
4 backrowers

Total 11 vying for 8 spots + 2 bench (1 utility and 1 backrow/back)

Someone has to be dropped if every player is available.

Ive said all along that I think Travis has the talent to play lock if over a few years he bulks up a bit, maintains his punishing defence. His passing game is a little lacking but he is a runner of the football with a good right foot step. he would make a great lock of the future. This would also suit Manly as Desmond loves Lyon at 5/8 it seems.

No way.

Our backrow is small enough as is, Burns would not be much more than 80kg. Not point in weakening our forwards just to accomodate him in the starting side.

He is tough and would hold his own but our go forward would suffer as a result.

i brought up this theory yesterday and Bysos intelligent argument was that I was on Drugs.

lol ummm ok

This was genuine though. I think Matai could be the better option in lock but over all I think Burns could work there too

His theory is just going around trying to piss everone off in an attempt to hide the fact that he doesn't have an opinion or an opinion that doesn't involve the players wearing assless leather pants.

No way.

Our backrow is small enough as is, Burns would not be much more than 80kg. Not point in weakening our forwards just to accomodate him in the starting side.

He is tough and would hold his own but our go forward would suffer as a result.

hey Garts, you need to read my post from yesterday.

I didnt suggest we play him at lock now, I simply said that OVER A FEW YEARS Travis has the talent and versatilty to possibly BULK UP a bit, and possibly switch to Hooker or Lock if that was required when it came down to squad personell. I never for one second suggested that Travis switch to lock now. This was based on Dessie seemingly having a liking to Killer at 5/8, thats all, I was just thinking how Travis cold get more game time, I also based this that in a couple of years we will be without Beaver and Willow.

Yeah, the main concern is that if Burns gets stuck on the bench he will most likely try and find a new team.
This is exactly what im worried about. I think he has the talent and toughness to be a part of a champion side, but mayby not the skills to handle 5/8.

a total champion of the Toovey mold

I love his mongrel and agro. Smaller than matai but doesnt need to rush out of the line and expose a weakness to put a hit on

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4