Tough foward leader??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
The fowards who recently left were not just great players in Kite , Stewart & King but theres mountains of experience leaving with them....
Watmough has been outstanding as a leader, almost the positive legacy of the BK days, turning the pack into the most intense aggressive pack up until 2014....seems he could also be off to poorer pastures...
So who is left??
Ballin is an almighty workhorse, Starling a goer & Lawrence the mobile modern day front rower...but none have killer instinct.
Hasson, Lui & Jesse offer solid interchange but again lack intimidation.
Buhrer - mighty player but his game is based on class & mobilty, though credit to his improved toughness over the past year.
Trjobovic is the biggest hidden talent at the club & could well be a representative forward within 3 years & is most likely imo.
Mason - well ppl can judge him early, but theres no doubt his grunt is an ingredient these young forwards will thrive under. Even at only 70% of his ability due to age, the impact will be worthwhile.
Every top team has their key intimidators - Souths boast the Burgess Bros & Teo, Roosters have Hargreaves & the late SBW, Dogs have Graham & some other big fat rats, ....who will lift the Seaeagles pack as the dominant leader in the heat of battle in 2015??

I think also where we struggled a bit this year is that we didn't hunt in a pack. In previous years you could see the mentality of 'attacking them with our defence'. The commentators (especially Gould) would always talk about those 5-10mins periods where our defence would step it up a gear and just smash the opposition, sometimes limiting them to 20-30metres in a set. And we had a pack that was capable, Watmough, Gifty, Kingy, Georgey Rose....and then we also had Matai and Foran pulling off big hits at appropriate times.

I think there is no doubt we are missing that key aggressive forward. And I think BK showed us that that person doesn't need to be a front rower (although he was a lock and hence playing in the middle anyway) but just needs to inspire with their runs and hits.

The player I actually think that could be that person for us next year is JSL. I like what I've seen and a full year in 1st grade will only have made him better. He has that kamikaze attitude of running into the defensive line which serves him well.

Our pack at the moment is very workmanlike, Ballin, Starling, Lawrence, Horo, Symonds, Buhrer. All good players who try hard, but hardly instilling fear into opposing packs.

maxta said:
The fowards who recently left were not just great players in Kite , Stewart & King but theres mountains of experience leaving with them....
Watmough has been outstanding as a leader, almost the positive legacy of the BK days, turning the pack into the most intense aggressive pack up until 2014....seems he could also be off to poorer pastures...
So who is left??
Ballin is an almighty workhorse, Starling a goer & Lawrence the mobile modern day front rower...but none have killer instinct.
Hasson, Lui & Jesse offer solid interchange but again lack intimidation.
Buhrer - mighty player but his game is based on class & mobilty, though credit to his improved toughness over the past year.
Trjobovic is the biggest hidden talent at the club & could well be a representative forward within 3 years & is most likely imo.
Mason - well ppl can judge him early, but theres no doubt his grunt is an ingredient these young forwards will thrive under. Even at only 70% of his ability due to age, the impact will be worthwhile.
Every top team has their key intimidators - Souths boast the Burgess Bros & Teo, Roosters have Hargreaves & the late SBW, Dogs have Graham & some other big fat rats, ....who will lift the Seaeagles pack as the dominant leader in the heat of battle in 2015??
before people start judging Mason they should take a close look at them selves in the Mirror :)

JSL is a possible candidate, I agree.

BJ showed a bit of mongrel at times but not enough. Mason will certainly provided enough niggle for the whole pack (even if it is just hurling abuse from the sidelines).

Considering the age of JSL and Lui, the experience of last year, having to step up in the finals and now a campaign for Samoa will do them the world of good.

I cant wait to see our forwards next year after they have the experience and confidence of playing some international games. They'll fly out of the blocks next year and I seriously hope we get mason. He'll provide and show the pack how to become a mongrel on the field.

maxta said:

sorry to hear of his passing:(

Brookie said:
maxta said:

sorry to hear of his passing:(
Im not....but pretty sure would quickly be a fan favourite at Manly plus bring in more female supporters :p

JSL brought lots of aggression in attack, and Lui brought lots of aggression in defence last year; I hope they keep it up! Choc is obviously an aggressive player, and I think one big angry prop will be enough to swing the mongrel back in our favour against most sides next year. Don't forget Matai is always lurking on the edge too!

I actually rather liked Lui playing at lock, as he did a couple of times when Choc was out. Brought a big bopper into the ruck area, sort of like frank Paul nuasala over at the roosters. Having said that, he's still on the 'unsigned' list at the moment...

Starling went up in my book when he threw one against the dogs. Needed that sort of leadership earlier in the year before a finals game. Add a couple115+ kg forwards to make a dent first and give our young props confidence and look out. In the right circumstances.they can be much better next year.

Fair to say we started playing a whole lot better after that little scuffle, too...fired up the young guns, gave them a bit of self belief. Starling caught up with wingers in cover defence a few times too...he's got that ponderous sort of look about him but can really motor when he wants to. Still, I see him as a mark Bryant style of bench player more than an impact prop.

Be great to get Georgey Rose back. Partner him with Mason, then bring the Elephant Man off the bench. If nothing more, the cult following would be enormous!!

Yeah its a bit odd - we get rid of our best 'impact forward' in George Rose, lack impact for a year, then go looking for another one. And the one we have our eye on is even older, and possibly equally dubious when it comes to hard training/dieting. And the complaint was that George didn;t offer us enough minutes...but then we only use say, Hasson for about ten minutes a game in his place. Anyone recall George charging down that field goal in extra time back in '13, after we ran out of interchanges? I'd be all for giving him another year or two.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6