Toovey Happy to rest on scrappy win

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
The Sea Eagles' grinding victory against the Raiders on Saturday night wasn’t their prettiest but it ensures their position inside the top four for at least another fortnight as they head into the bye round.
Toovey labelled the win as “scrappy” but he was pleased with his side’s resilience and courage following their absorbing 90 minutes against Melbourne last Monday night.

You could argue that the performance was disjointed and lacked cohesion, but the result was just what Toovey ordered.

“I thought it was a pretty scrappy game tonight. There were a couple of nice plays from both sides but there were a lot of errors and we need to be better,” Toovey said.

“It’s just that time of the year I think, the boys are a bit tired maybe and we’re looking forward to the week off.

“It was tough, but in saying that it’s just that time of the year where lots of teams, including us, have got a few injuries and missing a few key players and the blokes who have backed up week after week are a little tired so I think the bye will do us a lot of good.

“We had a lot of rest during the week but it’s a tough competition played by some pretty tough players. I think it was one of those games where we just needed to scratch out a win and fortunately for us we managed to do that.

“We all know that we can defend well but we’d rather be scoring tries down at the other end. But as I said we were a bit flat today, bit tired, bit jaded maybe and the players are looking forward to this rest.

“We have to back up for another 15-16 rounds before semi finals. We’ll brush our selves off and get up ready for the next fortnight.”

On fulltime, big men Anthony Watmough and Dane Tilse were caught in a scuffle as the pair exchanged punches but it was merely harmless according to the Manly coach.

“It’s nothing. I think after the game they all shook hands and had a bit of a laugh about it,” Toovey said.

“There was no damage done to anyone, there’s a lot of testosterone out there and it’s a tough game played by some tough men and they all shook hands and they’ll have a beer after it.”

Co-captain and goal kicker Jamie Lyon had a hand in two of Manly’s tries but the 16-10 score line told a different story as he failed to convert a single try.

“The Asics weren’t working for me today and probably made the game a little bit close too. Definitely have to do some work in the next couple of weeks,” Lyon said.

This break will hopefully do us wonders.

The last 5 rds have given us plenty of practice for finals time.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2