Tooves Greatest team

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
EF56173A-982B-4BCA-8342-14F7ABE1C239.jpeg

He's had too many head knocks. Picking Stuart Davis and David Hosking is lunacy.
Both were reasonable first graders but nowhere near our best in their respective positions.
I'm happy with most of the rest of the selections as all were Manly greats.

Hosking the Mule - what a great character, but think this is more from Tooves heart than his head.
Maybe the players he liked being around on and off the field....
There is no debate with some selections like Fulton, Reilly, Menzies, Ward and Lyons with Roberts, O'Connor and Randall - the other positions very debatable, but after seeing Tooves the legend himself, piledriving 6'5 monsters that weighed 130kg into the Brookie turf, happy to respect his options.

A few surprising calls but can see what may have influenced some of Tooves selections . For instance Stuewy Davis would have got a sympathy preference after our Silver Tails poster Stewey Davis Socks wouldn "t return his footy socks . No doubt must be an avid Clint Eastwood fan to include The Mule , David Hosking , Probably too fearful of incurring the wrath of Terry Randall and being run over with his cement truck if not included , similarly risking the contempt of Silver Tails Poster The Better Robbo if he did not include his twin brother . Probably other selection factors as well but no investigation required .

For those of you who saw Michael O'Connor in his prime, was he an upgrade on Jamie Lyon? Killer is one of the best all-round footballers I have seen...

For those of you who saw Michael O'Connor in his prime, was he an upgrade on Jamie Lyon? Killer is one of the best all-round footballers I have seen...
Both great players . Snoz O ' Conner had terrific footwork and acceleration , excellent positional player , good short kicking game , solid enough defender , reliable goal kicker , international winger . Killer would have to be one of the best all round players i have seen play for Manly though , attack and defence of the highest order , inspirational and courageous on field leader very capable goal kicker . Really both in the top echelon of Manly "s best players

O'Connor was twinkle-toed magic, a Lamborghini compared to Lyons Mercedes. Both great players from different eras.

O'Connor represented in both codes, as cool as a cucumber when kicking for goal and a football head that always read the game. He was a bit prone to leg injury.

Jamie would be the tougher of the two, winning through sheer determination.

I can't pick between them.

You can't help but think politics ruled his selections unfortunately. No Watmough, Stewart brothers no mention either. Bozo is our greatest ever player and doesn't get the captaincy. We've had 4 x 2 x premiership winning coaches and he picks Alan Thompson? No Dessie. What's doing there? He gets a guernsey with the boots or the clipboard. It's a reflection on how he feels about things after he was shafted. I can understand holding a grudge, but he would've been better served doing a fairdinkum side.

My mates had a bit of a challenge the other day. Pick your best team from the year you were born onwards. This was my Manly team I was born in 1985.
manly.jpg

Feck It I'm doing my greatest team because.....well Im bored.

Im going to only go with players I've seen play (not video of etc). Now as I am mid 30s it was really only around 92-94 where I started following footy

1.Stewart
2.T Trbojevic
3.Innes
4.Lyon
5.Robertson
6.Lyons
7.Toovey
8.Carroll
9.Ballin
10.Roberts
11.Kennedy
12.Menzies
13.Kosef

14.DCE
15.J Trbojevic
16.Kite
17.G Stewart

Matai, Gartner, Ridge, Watmough, Orford, Tapau, King, Gillespie....God so many players missing out....screw it I'm going my second 17

1.Ridge
2.J Hopoate
3.Matai
4.Hill
5.S Bell
6.Foran
7.Orford
8.King
9.Sideris
10.Tapau
11.Watmough
12.Gartner
13.Cunningham

14.Hasler
15.Gillespie
16.AFB
17.Thompson

You can't help but think politics ruled his selections unfortunately. No Watmough, Stewart brothers no mention either. Bozo is our greatest ever player and doesn't get the captaincy. We've had 4 x 2 x premiership winning coaches and he picks Alan Thompson?

My mates had a bit of a challenge the other day. Pick your best team from the year you were born onwards. This was my Manly team I was born in 1985.

Not gunna lie, all I got from that was a reminder about how old I am.

lol

wah

Very tough split. To this day, O'Conner is one of the more graceful runners of the ball I've seen, he just seemed to float across the ground. As others have said though Killer was just a brilliant allround player. In my team I'd have to find a spot for both of them along with Fulton and Cliffy, so Snoz would get pushed to the wing.

Stuart Davis was once called as the 7 iron with ears by the Great Rex Mossop (I think it was Rex)...Russell Gartner any day over him

As you say, Lyon was a much, much more rounded footballer, as evidenced by his ballplaying days with us.

Snoz was great. Lyon was greater.

And Lyon never worked for SuperLeague.
My old man was so upset that Snoz worked for Super League - it's probably why I never looked into his career much!

In my household growing up, anyone associated with Super League were the lowest of the low ....

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8