Tony Williams DUI

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cletus

Reserve Grader
Just when he was going so well this year, **** it.

Manly winger Tony Williams is facing a fine and possible suspension after being caught drink-driving on Monday night.

Livid Sea Eagles CEO Graham Lowe labelled Williams' actions an act of 'absolute stupidity', especially coming the day the club invited the media to its training headquarters as players underwent a counter confrontation course.

The club will be under pressure to drop Williams for at least Monday's encounter with Melbourne at Etihad Stadium.

\"It's very regrettable, we're very ashamed of it and it's not something I find pleasant to tell you,\" he said.

\"He hasn't been suspended yet ... we haven't considered anything yet.\"

\"We've got a protocol we go through and we'll discuss the options then.\"

\"I think the old-fashioned values and old-fashioned methods of a kick in the arse is what's required when something like this happens.\"

\"It's absolutely inexcusable.\"

http://sportal.com.au/league-news-display/williams-in-trouble-89357

yeah a damn shame. Drink driving is just sheer stupidity though so I cant really feel sorry for him.

It even made the lunch-time news up here

Nothing to do with Manly.

It's a legal issue between the individual & the police.

The law is in place to deal with these issues & that's where it should end. I understand that it wont but I get sick of hearing about this stuff that is none of my business. If it's low range then I do feel sorry for him. If it's high range, the police will make enough of a misery of his life that the club wont need to act.

We'll probably suspend him for a week though Duff. Not sure what he blew but they said double the limit on the radio, don't know if he was on his Ps though. Hopefully he can stay off the drink for a while, could be good for him in the end.

Wake up Duff, they are role models whether they like it or not, as soon as they accept an NRL contract they are aware they are looked up to by kids everywhere.

if a teenager now sees this as ok because his hero does it is that alright, this stupid **** is bad enough when it is done by drunken idiots everywhere, when it is given cred by a public figure it is a lot worse.

Club has to drop him for at least a game otherwise Gallop will step in and take him out for four.  We can't say that being caught/charged or even fined is enough now, after what's happened last year for the code as a whole.

Very dumb move Tony, you're going well but not superstar outstanding yet.  

whare would be obvious replacement.the idea of slater and inglis working down williams side was a bit scary anyway given his indecision at times.maybe whare getting a chance on the big stage may prove a good thing going forward, just as bretts injury  at least allowed us to give TH and KF a go in the halves.he seemed very good positionally in 20s last week but that is light years from what he will face monday.

shame though,the big unit was showing some good signs in last couple of weeks.

anyone know if kite is fighting charge?

Damn. Its never a good time but considering we were just getting a flow on & we are leading into a difficult few weeks this is a disruption we didnt need. Especially if Kite is out. Damn !!!

susan ridgepipe link said:
whare would be obvious replacement.the idea of slater and inglis working down williams side was a bit scary anyway given his indecision at times.maybe whare getting a chance on the big stage may prove a good thing going forward, just as bretts injury  at least allowed us to give TH and KF a go in the halves.he seemed very good positionally in 20s last week but that is light years from what he will face monday.
shame though,the big unit was showing some good signs in last couple of weeks.

anyone know if kite is fighting charge?

And melbourne love to turn on a very fast shock & awe kick /chase into the corner early on in a game. Just like Ox & Robbo did early in the 2nd half in the 08 GF. Theyve done it to many times to count & are very good at it.

Fro link said:
Wake up Duff, they are role models whether they like it or not, as soon as they accept an NRL contract they are aware they are looked up to by kids everywhere.

if a teenager now sees this as ok because his hero does it is that alright, this stupid S**t is bad enough when it is done by drunken idiots everywhere, when it is given cred by a public figure it is a lot worse.

Wake up Fro.

People are accoutable for their own actions and the idea of "role models" is just a modern invention for the blame everyone else brigade.

He is accountable for what he did but not for some abstract concept of what effect he may have on someone he may or may not have met who may or may not exist.

Give a young bloke a break.

Agree with some points from both of you, but am with Duff on the role model thing

Role models imo are people you see most days and learn from growing up

I was as sports mad as you could get as a kid, Cliff Lyons, Chris Cairns, Matthew Ridge, Steve Menzies, Geoff Toovey etc were my biggest heroes in the world, but not once did I ever see them do something and think S**t, if he is doing that, I better head out and do the same

Duff link said:
[quote author=Fro link=topic=183001.msg258990#msg258990 date=1271135774]

if a teenager now sees this as ok because his hero does it is that alright, this stupid S**t is bad enough when it is done by drunken idiots everywhere, when it is given cred by a public figure it is a lot worse.

Wake up Fro.

People are accoutable for their own actions and the idea of "role models" is just a modern invention for the blame everyone else brigade.

He is accountable for what he did but not for some abstract concept of what effect he may have on someone he may or may not have met who may or may not exist.

Give a young bloke a break.
[/quote]

Nonsense

Everyone is responsible to the law, you, me and Tony Williams. We all suffer the same consequences for the same actions. That is until we accept a job for hundreds of thousands of dollars a year in part as a representative of a brand. At that point most of us would accept we had another responsibility beyond the law to our employer.

That is what some people don't seem to understand, these guys are responsible because they represent Manly, not just legally but also because what they do will result in it being harder for the club to appeal to a wide fan base.

Instead of 'Role model' read 'PR'.

Dumb move, 1 week suspension then bring him back.  I actually saw a few of the players at Cammeray last night having a beer, not sure if Tony was there.  

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7