Tonights game plan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I'm no coach BUT this should be fairly simple.

They are going to have their big bruising forwards trying to punch holes through our middle, so our defence must be as brutal as legally possible.

We need to complete all (or as close to all) of our sets as possible.

Be patient, don't expect a try off every set.

Keep turning their big forwards around by kicking into their corners.

Don't panic if they score first, or even score again...their big forwards WILL get tired and this will be our time.

Our kicking game needs to be perfect, no kicking out on the full, go for a 40-20 if it pops up but otherwise just into the corners if long range and of short range dribble through for retention of the ball.

Use the KISS theory.

Do this and we will go a LONG LONG way towards an upset

The key is our defence close to our line. Their big forwards and backs will be very hard to keep out. So how do we ensure we're not often defending close to our line? NO PENALTIES. Play the game between their 20 and our 20, and then rely on our SUPERIOR HALVES to create the chances we need. We KNOW they will come at us hard for a period of 20 minutes - we need to ensure we don't let them get back-to-back tries when that happens - they're a MOMENTUM team.

Yeah sounds good, but do you think DCE has had issues kicking lately...... Don't seem to be kicking long as much, for an seems to be doing more.....

Our game plan (for mine) is WIN...lol.

Very much agree on the KISS-theory.

Bloody 9 outta' 10 "experts" have given Us no chance.

Suits me just fine; and saw Tooves say the same on Fox late last night.

"We don't even care about that, but the boys like it (being written-off) and with the finals here there's an extra spring in their steps at training, and around the place...That's infectious and with so much experience in the group they're nice-and-relaxed anyway".

I am para-phrasing Tooves "sound-byte" from memory there; but that was the gist of it.

Whatever blokes eventually run on, or injuries they run on with, I KNOW they'll give it 100% tonight. AND we've earned a 2nd-chance if we lose.

So I'm calm (for now!), and that's what I'm looking forward to tonight.

Won't be easy at all, but I bet the effort's massive (compared to last week) and if we can hold our own in the pigs, the class of Killer, Snake, Foz and Chez can hopefully lead the way on the score-board.

To me:

1) No leg up penalties. Like you've said cannot give them cheap possession near our line. Doesn't matter if they get a roll on 30 and 40m out from their own line, don't give penalties away.
2) Darting runs around the ruck. Foran and DCE need to keep pushing Killer, Matai and Snake back at the ruck to use their speed and footwork to tire out those big useless tossers
3) Use our bench in bursts. Get full value from them all. Have JSL, King whoever come on for 10-15mins where they just run into break walls and tackle themselves stupid.
4) Taufua, Killer, Hiku must make 'Matai' style runs to help our forwards out.
5) Build pressure. We haven't done that much. Get repeat sets. Tire them out. Points are great, but if we just keep them tackling that's a good thing.
6) Take no backward step. The Rabbitohs are bullies. Stick it back to them. Watmough, Matai need to launch themselves at them. Don't let them intimidate us.

Completions, no errors, tight defence...pretty simple hey. Takes a bit more than that to mastermind a coaching triumph. The players must want it bad...real bad. They are all first graders, but someone will want it more. The team that executes best will win!

I'm way more confident than I was before last years game against the Bunnies.
Hold onto to pill, go set for set with them and our class will get us over the line.
If we don't get at least 50% of the ball their forwards will roll over the top of us.
Manly by 8!!

ManlyArmy said:
Rule No1: Hold the ball and everything will fall into place.

This is key ( duh ).
Look at last weeks stats v the Cows, we had to make close on 100 tackles more than they did on the back of turning over the ball.
Defensively we were pretty good but eventually it tells.

If we can hold the ball it's stands to reason we'll get more penalties too - see Rule NO 1 above.
Need big games from the backrowers hitting them one or two off the ruck.

I think if things don't go right for Souths they will be the first to panic provided Manly get back to playing like we usually do & give them nothing. Playing well we have to much class for them, its as simple as that.

My opinion with Souths is, they don't have a plan B if there bash and crash doesn't work.

ManlyArmy said:
Rule No1: Hold the ball and everything will fall into place.

Bingo. Our completion rate has been inconsistent the last month. We won't win if we don't hold the ball. The other captain obvious statement is have a good kicking game, we need to find the grass and we need a committed kick chase. Do these two things and we will give ourselves every chance

I'm loathe to share my theory on a winning game plan lest Souths take note of it and adjust accordingly.

Let's just say that Souths' strength is also its weakness. I want to see angles being run by .. I'll stop there.

We definitely need to shepherd those underneath the bombs. It seemed noticeable agains the Cowboys (and in other games) that our chasers couldn't even get to their catchers but theirs were pouring through. Mind you the only team I can think of penalised for protecting the catcher all year was us.
We need a better kicking game then we have seen recently. DCE especially seems to have struggled a bit.

Yeah this game needs to be won on defense.

Hodges needs to control his opposite no.9 that will lessen the inpact of the burgess brigade forcing the ball out to reynolds and keary.

Guys like choc jsl and t red then pressure the halves all game forcing souffs to panic and keep relying on GI to pull a rabbit out of the hat.

im so nervous (and excited!) can't imagine how the players must be feeling in the lead up... Altho I guess our boys must be like "another year, another semi!, time to go a ripping and a tearing"
GO HARD, GO STRONG, GO FOR THE WIN! GO MANLY!!

Can't wait for the seriously big hits that will be coming from Matai on Burgess bros!!! Payback time - Hit em hard and legal Skivy!

DCE needs to stand up tonight. He has been by his high standards poor since origin.
He needs to run direct at line not crab sideways.

One thing to remember this morning is that these men have one common thread and that is their biggest passion in life – football. these guys are professional footballers and now its finals time the only thing on their minds is football, not contracts or ceo’s or boards just football this is what they have spent their life playing for, what they dreamt about as young boys, what inspires them, they are a real chance of winning the national comp, they know it as we know it and tonight we show the world, we are on our way to Homebush in October.
Palm on heart
GO MANLY !!

My opinion with Souths is, they don't have a plan B if there bash and crash doesn't work.
[/quote]

100% spot on ^^^

Bomack44 said:
DCE needs to stand up tonight. He has been by his high standards poor since origin.
He needs to run direct at line not crab sideways.

If the forwards do their job, DCE will stand up.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2