Tonight is the night the premiership window opened.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just thought I’d put this out there as it’s my summation of us v Melbourne (top sides) and where we are missing.

I think we can win the comp in the next 2 years, that is realistically our window as Daly probably only has 2 more years of top footy in him. But to do so, these are the weaknesses we currently have and need to address moving forward:

We have a good middle, but no “great” premier front rower.

I’ve said it all year on hear and been blasted for it, but Marty doesnt step up and is not the premier front rower to win us the comp.

In reality we have 4 weaknesses, 2 of which will be solved next season (in no order):

1. Inexperience

- our forwards especially will be so much better from this year so i think that almost solves itself on the wide scale.

2. No great centre (weakness moving forward)

- all great teams have a point of attack outside of the spine; i.e Olam 2020-2021, Manu 2019 etc. Parker and Harper are good but one in the same - they should compete for the same spot and we should just back Suli (if he stays) to become that threat, he has it in him clearly.

3. No gun hooker

- Croker has been good but is not gun. Fainu is that gun

4. No premier front rower (NEEDS TO BE SOLVED)

- Marty isnt that. Aloiai probably isnt either but would be a very good second-best prop to start. We need someone who steps up, like say Tapine, or just bank on a young gun like Utoikamanu from Tigs.

If we solve (2) and (4) i think we can win the comp next year

The rest of our side is good enough (back 3, halves, back row, 14 and bench)

Hard to argue with any of that..

My thoughts are simple - AFB plays in 2021 we win the comp.

Dylan Walker could solve no 2, but he is a hell of bench player.

Crocker has come a long way, reminds me of Max Krilich all heart and would die for the team. I couldnt be bothered with Fainu that ship has likely sailed, footballers don't improve by not playing for 3 seasons.

Manase being available would be a huge bonus, gives that attacking option in the middle.

Walkers form in the middle has been very good, I think he is a better option then Jake there.

Jake to prop gets a whole offseason to be that premier front rower, supported by Tent and Keppie.

Centre is a spot where someone different could be given a chance, Tippytoes or I would like to think Jackson Ferris would be a good addition to the squad if Suli is off, Suli has so much ability it would be good if he could reach the peak of his powers at Manly.

Some big calls to be made with only 24 of the 30 contracted for 2022.

Hard to argue with any of that..

My thoughts are simple - AFB plays in 2021 we win the comp.

Dylan Walker could solve no 2, but he is a hell of bench player.

Crocker has come a long way, reminds me of Max Krilich all heart and would die for the team. I couldnt be bothered with Fainu that ship has likely sailed, footballers don't improve by not playing for 3 seasons.
By all reports Fainu’s “victim” said it wasn’t him so he’ll be off

Yes they can’t improve but there is less than a handful of hookers in the comp with a similar amount of talent as Fainu - which is why I’m happy to hold out for him

Manase being available would be a huge bonus, gives that attacking option in the middle.

Walkers form in the middle has been very good, I think he is a better option then Jake there.

Jake to prop gets a whole offseason to be that premier front rower, supported by Tent and Keppie.

Centre is a spot where someone different could be given a chance, Tippytoes or I would like to think Jackson Ferris would be a good addition to the squad if Suli is off, Suli has so much ability it would be good if he could reach the peak of his powers at Manly.

Some big calls to be made with only 24 of the 30 contracted for 2022.
Jake makes ~110m per game with a pretty low count for Post Contact Metres and really does not have the punch of a premier prop. He’s a premier 13 IMO and if you put him at 10 and compare him to what JFH, Welch, NAS, Tino, Haas, AFB offer... we’re back to square one.

Plus what is the lag time on him having to adapt from a 13 playing 80 mins per week with his game based around ball playing and defence, to a truck-it-up 40 min front rower... 2 years? No thanks. The transition wouldn’t be that easy for him as a simple fix over preseason i dont think

I also would prefer to work with Suli more .(Has that ship definitely sailed though )??

Suli has signed for the Dragons. Yes, we need a gun centre. Apart from that, maintain the squad with good youngsters coming through and get them signed to avoid a Redcliffe raid. We have the talent for a premiership window.

Last edited:
agree with Chip that the window won’t be open long with Daly and Foran ageing. In Schuster, we should have Foran covered but an elite 7 is tricky to buy or build.
Assuming they’re looking to groom Humphreys with him on a development contract from 2022. Obviously will take some time to develop and no guarantee he’ll be the answer post DCE. Latu Fainu will take another year or two on top of that but will be something special if we can hold on to him.

You’re right though, the window for a premiership is at its best point over the next year or two!

agree with Chip that the window won’t be open long with Daly and Foran ageing. In Schuster, we should have Foran covered but an elite 7 is tricky to buy or build.
The Storm are pretty good at building elite halves. But then again they are pretty good at everything.

Putting together a premiership-winning side is like a Rubik's Cube. It's like 2007 to 2008 when what we really needed was a block-of-concrete forward anchor for our pack and we got it from Newcastle (oh dear his name slips my memory now, which is bad because about 68% of my brain is occupied with Manly. Our forwards aren't there and Tapau is really a bench prop now. Paseka could develop into a premier forward and pack leader or I think has the potential to.but does he have the mongel? As always injuries have to be kind. I would like to see Davey back in our pack, as we need a Watmough equivalent who works all day and has impact. Schuster could be anything or he could always be a bit inbetween being a forward and a back. A bit like that backrower who played for Parra, the Warriors and us (you know who I mean was in the Warriors GF 11 GF side). Fainu back would help a lot to give us more threat from dummy half, perhaps Croker could start to do the heavy first 20 defending. DCE is who is his. He had a good end of season and his kicking really improved but he always tends to run hot or cold and will always go the off-the-cuff low perentage play (like that early blindside raid pushed into touch). We need an organsing pecentage play half to go with him and Foran did that job for us mostly for us this year but his now lack of pace (in both attack and defence) can be a problem. How methodical Souths were in that first half compared to us. Hit it up and put up the box kick for Saab or Tom to have us cornred 20m from our line. As has been noted we need more attack from our centres. Harper lost some edge as the year went by and in the finals his defence was exposed. Parker is a team man but could be the least threatening outside back in the NRL. Saab is still a work in progress. Walker is a good player (when he doesn't overplay his hand) but overpaid to be a super sub. Probably should still just go back to being a centre. I think we have a premiership window opening but how to get that those bloody Rubik's cube tiles aligning.

Last edited:
Koula is the answer to our centre issue. You think Saab is fast... And he hasn't decent build.

Woods coming in will be good. He does the basics and doesn't hide.

Hopefully Fainu is back at some point.

Walker and Koula in the centres would be amazing to see

Koula is the answer to our centre issue. You think Saab is fast... And he hasn't decent build.

Woods coming in will be good. He does the basics and doesn't hide.

Hopefully Fainu is back at some point.

Walker and Koula in the centres would be amazing to see

Tuipulotu is another that can possibly add a point of attack for us in the centres

In a couple of years we will have Keao Weekes for the centres. Really looking forward to see how he goes in 2022 in the Ball comp. A cross between Lyon and Innes. Hope he progresses.

Why do you say that? Surely we will only improve on this and be better for the humbling experience suffered against the big boys?

We will improve with another off season and should be looking at playing finals footy every year from here is what I was trying to say.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4