Tonight is the night the premiership window opened.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Salaries are hugely important in moulding a premiership winning roster.

DCE is a 700k halfback taking 1.2M out of the cap.
Marty Tapau is 500k prop reportedly being paid 850k next year.
Moses Suli at 550k was a very expensive back up
Siro at 600k also a very expensive back up.

Unfortunately between DCE and Marty we are paying 850k in overs IMO. This year we paid 1.15M to Suli and Siro as back ups. Thankfully we get some back with Foran probably one huge unders to be here relative to his 2021 form. I suspect he is here on 200k contract but probably worth 400-500k.

Given I expect Suli, Siro, Jorge, Funa, Gosiewski, and Sadly Keith Titmus wont be on contract next year and Dylan Walker probably gets downgraded about 200k per year as he is very unreliable, the club should have somewhere in the vicinity of 2.4M in the cap to spend. If I was Des i would use the 2.4M to
  • Upgrade Haumole and Schuey as they look like they are rep level backrowers (400k)
  • Upgrade Foran, Garrick and Sab who have been exceptional this year (300k)
  • Add Bullemor and Woods to the club (600k)
  • Promote 2 emerging players to the top 30 (300k)
  • Promote De Luis in top 30 as a great value back up (150k)
  • That should leave 1 spot in the roster with approx 650k to spend preferably for a right centre. (this price range is probably a Jimmy the Jet or Curtis Scott type, although I would love it if we could pick up Lomax or Best)
There is no way we will have 2.5 million to spend next year. We've given extensions to players already including Schuster, haumole, garrick, Harper, parker, Croker, Sipley and now potentially Walker. Taupaus contract is also backended for next year. Sironen was only on 400k, DCE is probs on a million after long service allowances off the cap. My calculations after releasing siro, suli, boyle, taufua, funa, gosiewski. That leaves 1 million, and that's being generous. Add the signings of Woods and bullemor and the possible extension of Saddler or De Luis that leaves around 200-400k I'd say

Last edited:
Speaking to people who know tolu he’s apparently “by no means a centre” as is too small, so we can probably wipe that one.

He’s a wing or fullback, nothing else they said.

If tolu is to get into the side it probably means Garrick to centre
This year the club described him as a fullback/centre. Hard to see why size is an issue, back in March he was said to be Age: 18 Height: 183cm Weight: 93kg (Which makes him taller than the likes of Dylan Walker, Jamie Lyon, Justin Olam, Steve Renouf)

By all reports Fainu’s “victim” said it wasn’t him so he’ll be off

Yes they can’t improve but there is less than a handful of hookers in the comp with a similar amount of talent as Fainu - which is why I’m happy to hold out for him

I am not worried if he innocent or guilty the fact he wont of played in 3 years is a massive setback to his development. Especially if there is only NRL again next season.

Bottom line for me is that we will have a better squad next year, and the current crop will be better for the finals experience.

As others have said I think that inexperience and tiredness were the two biggest things that let us down this year. Hopefully next year we get a better run of wins in the regular season so that Des can rest some players at the pointy end of the year. So far the clubs that have played best in the finals are those that rested guys in the final rounds of the season.

Assuming they’re looking to groom Humphreys with him on a development contract from 2022. Obviously will take some time to develop and no guarantee he’ll be the answer post DCE. Latu Fainu will take another year or two on top of that but will be something special if we can hold on to him.

You’re right though, the window for a premiership is at its best point over the next year or two!
I think developing Latu into a 7 is what we should do. Heard that Humphreys kid isn't really all that, genuine 7s are hard to find and mold into first grade. Schuster is playing first grade and is going to be the successor for Foran. Latu still has two years of development in lower leagues where maybe we can develop him with organization skills and composure to wear number 7 but still have his flashy ball-playing skills and running game.

Wish list:
The Cheese
Curtis Scott
Justin Olam
Victor Radley

And we win 3 premierships in the next 10 years....

Won’t happen but that’s what’s needed

And hard desicions need to be made to clear some “dead wood” to be able to buy those players

Cut:
Croker
Suli
Sironen
Fanu
Harper or Parker (1 to go)
Taufua
Gosiewski
De Luis
Boyle

Marty ( do not resign when his contract is up)

1-Turbo
2-Saab
3-Scott
4-Olam
5-Garrick
6-Foran
7-DCE
13-Radley
11-Hamouli
12-Shuster
8-Keppie
9-Smith
10-Jake
14- Walker (Fainu)
15- Paseka
16- Aloiai
17- Taupau

18- Sipley
19- Bullemore
20-Saddler
21-Davey

Last edited:
Just thought I’d put this out there as it’s my summation of us v Melbourne (top sides) and where we are missing.

I think we can win the comp in the next 2 years, that is realistically our window as Daly probably only has 2 more years of top footy in him. But to do so, these are the weaknesses we currently have and need to address moving forward:

We have a good middle, but no “great” premier front rower.

I’ve said it all year on hear and been blasted for it, but Marty doesnt step up and is not the premier front rower to win us the comp.

In reality we have 4 weaknesses, 2 of which will be solved next season (in no order):

1. Inexperience

- our forwards especially will be so much better from this year so i think that almost solves itself on the wide scale.

2. No great centre (weakness moving forward)

- all great teams have a point of attack outside of the spine; i.e Olam 2020-2021, Manu 2019 etc. Parker and Harper are good but one in the same - they should compete for the same spot and we should just back Suli (if he stays) to become that threat, he has it in him clearly.

3. No gun hooker

- Croker has been good but is not gun. Fainu is that gun

4. No premier front rower (NEEDS TO BE SOLVED)

- Marty isnt that. Aloiai probably isnt either but would be a very good second-best prop to start. We need someone who steps up, like say Tapine, or just bank on a young gun like Utoikamanu from Tigs.

If we solve (2) and (4) i think we can win the comp next year

The rest of our side is good enough (back 3, halves, back row, 14 and bench)
Inexperience will fix itself, I'm sure all our boys will learn and let this finals series sting them for redemption.

I still have belief in both Parker and Harper because they've both been consistent throughout the regular season, Harper had a poor finals series. But we do need to get Koula and Christian Tui ready to hopefully play some FG next season and make a name for themselves to put more competition on that position. That's another thing, if we have competition in certain positions, the players will rise to play good footy.

Agree with Crocker, he is a weak link in our spine just because he has not attacking game. Maybe another pre season on him working on that part of his game will do good for him, because Des and the coaching staff will know that's what he needs to match it with the other top 9s. If Fainu does come back, wrap up the comp, we are unbeatable

Marty does need to go, not that he's awful or anything, he's just not going to give the worth to his price tag at the age of 32 next year. 850k is too much. With Jake at 900k, we cannot have two forwards that have the combined price tag of 1.7 mill, that's just not good business. Keppie and Paseka are going to develop to be our premier front rowers, I know it for a fact. Aloiai will be a good bench impact player with Sipley. But Manly fans should get excited for Davey and Bullemore, they gonna add mobility and speed to our pack and both are great players, not plodders at all.

We are going in the right direction, and with the roster we have locked up for years, with things going our way injury and off-field wise, we will have our premiership window open for a while.

Can’t believe that people think Curtis Scott is the answer. He will always be a bottom 8 team centre.
He won a premiership... former Australian school boy captain.. can defend. Can attack and a very natural footballer.. he could be anything and someone like Des is exactly what this guy needs.. still young and raw .. his aggression is all about rugby league and that’s what’s needed

Salaries are hugely important in moulding a premiership winning roster.

DCE is a 700k halfback taking 1.2M out of the cap.
Marty Tapau is 500k prop reportedly being paid 850k next year.
Moses Suli at 550k was a very expensive back up
Siro at 600k also a very expensive back up.

Unfortunately between DCE and Marty we are paying 850k in overs IMO. This year we paid 1.15M to Suli and Siro as back ups. Thankfully we get some back with Foran probably one huge unders to be here relative to his 2021 form. I suspect he is here on 200k contract but probably worth 400-500k.

Given I expect Suli, Siro, Jorge, Funa, Gosiewski, and Sadly Keith Titmus wont be on contract next year and Dylan Walker probably gets downgraded about 200k per year as he is very unreliable, the club should have somewhere in the vicinity of 2.4M in the cap to spend. If I was Des i would use the 2.4M to
  • Upgrade Haumole and Schuey as they look like they are rep level backrowers (400k)
  • Upgrade Foran, Garrick and Sab who have been exceptional this year (300k)
  • Add Bullemor and Woods to the club (600k)
  • Promote 2 emerging players to the top 30 (300k)
  • Promote De Luis in top 30 as a great value back up (150k)
  • That should leave 1 spot in the roster with approx 650k to spend preferably for a right centre. (this price range is probably a Jimmy the Jet or Curtis Scott type, although I would love it if we could pick up Lomax or Best)
Are we sure Sironen was $600k? Ive never heard that. I have heard $450k

Also I think DCE at $700k is unders - theres 5-6 good 7s in todays game and we have one of them. I’d pay $900k for him. Again, thats $350k overs.

Taupau on $800k next year and thats well overs I agree

I think Daly has a big question coming: What does he want his legacy to be at Manly?

If he wins us a comp in the next 2 years he probably goes down as one of the best 7s to play for Manly, if not the best.

If he doesn’t, he probably just goes down as a really good player that was grossly overpaid.

Ball should be in his court to take a paycut - $850k is still a great wicket. We could use $350k-$400k to get a premier prop or centre... thats the difference IMO

Given Schuster is the long term replacement for Foran, I wonder if Croker could be the composed 7 we need when Daly retires? If Fainu comes back, we could have him and Lawton as the 9 rotation and Croker as the cool head in halves to steady the ship with Schuster the destroyer?

I think he could have it in him. He doesn’t seem to get flustered, has a decent kick on him and is certainly a top notch defender...he’d be 26 by that stage and very experienced...
Could potentially be a gap fill if we happen to have a few lean years in terms of developing a hb at the club. Whether he has the kicking game for it im not to sure.. more intended around his short kicking game. I'm hopeful humphreys will be ready by then

Edit.. In fact I reckon cust could probably have a better go at it if he is still with us

Yes I think this year is like 94 with bozo’s babes coming into first grade, with some old heads like cliffy, Des, tooves on board. Also like 2006. The elements are there.

He won a premiership... former Australian school boy captain.. can defend. Can attack and a very natural footballer.. he could be anything and someone like Des is exactly what this guy needs.. still young and raw .. his aggression is all about rugby league and that’s what’s needed
Ok I’m prepared for Des to look at him. Anyone know what is going on with Scott?

But the problem is, it is only brought up when players are down.
Look at Turbo, where is the talk about his salary gone now?

Parra don't have any million dollar players. Which is the counter to any salary argument
That's because its human nature to overlook problems when times are good. If Bellamy or Hasler just rested on their laurels after each win they wouldn't be successful for very long.

Parramatta have a very good roster that has beaten Melbourne and nearly rolled the Panthers last week despite a third string hooker, dodgy refereeing and a coach that is too often bereft of ideas.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4