Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
So you could say the same about players,no?

Great players are great because they are great offensively and defensively......of which T.Wright was not.

Great players are great because they are great offensively and defensively......of which T.Wright was not.
You are entitled to your opinion as that is what our forum is all about

A rookie playing only 5 games under a 2 time failed wooden spoon coach and
you have made your logical conclusion

Moot point. We don't have room in the cap. He wants to come back to the NRL and he is now a Wallaby and will cost a lot more than a kid from Joey's.

I know there were plenty of issues in his play - I wonder how some decent coaching may have seen him over come them?

If only people like you could comprehend the level of speed and skill and dedication required to succeed at a codes highest level

If only people like you could comprehend that a rookie playing only 5 games under a two time sacked incompetent failure head coach does not define or make or break a young players playing career
You just keep watching one half of what makes a competent footballer and ignore the rest...then you can kick back and ask yourself why our great club doesn’t ‘soar’ as you say it should.

Great teams are great because they are great defensively and offensively

Great teams are Great because they excel all over the field and all over their opponents
Agree, which is why Wright won’t excel at NRL level, because he is only an offensive player.

Don’t tell me all about his Rugby exploits...rugby? Bhahahaha

Tommy wasn't the greatest defender when he came to FG. He was ok but it took time for him to grow into the D roll. In fact it wasn't till Snake came back and worked with him that his D went to God like level. How old was he then? 23 or so.
Point being D can be taught. X factor can't.

Tommy wasn't the greatest defender when he came to FG. He was ok but it took time for him to grow into the D roll. In fact it wasn't till Snake came back and worked with him that his D went to God like level. How old was he then? 23 or so.
Point being D can be taught. X factor can't.

Tom's D is nowhere near Snakes "God Like level".

Tom's D is nowhere near Snakes "God Like level".
not so sure about that. Toms's D is right up there now. he's only 25 so has another 6 or 7 years to develop further.

Also which part of Snakes D are we talking? Given we have the hindsight of his entire career to look at are you saying Tommys D at the same point in both careers is substandard?

Hard to judge any player that played under Barrett. He took a decent team and made them bottom of the table. Every team he has coached has had the collective heart of the Grinch.

I said at the time of being coached by Barrett we played like 13 individuals out there and not as a team. I said the same thing to a Bulldogs supporting mate and in the end he agreed, Barrett can coach players but can't coach a team.

As such Id like to see Wright have a run, he was a solid talent but with a coach that can put some heart and team player into him.

The guy Penruff signed was Kent Lamber. He was sent home from an All Black tour of the UK after a night club incident. He was meant to form a powerhouse front row with Ron Clothier and the Poms Mike Stephenson and Bill Ashurst…
Snoz and Stephen Knight were great signings for us from Union.
They didn’t transfer to Manly-Warringah directly from rugby. Knight played first for Wests and then Balmain, then Manly.

O’Connor to St George, then Manly.

Seriously... the guy got dropped from the Top 17 after scoring 1 try and otherwise looking a bit at sea at NRL level. It's really not the end of the world for a young player (I suppose you could say similar things about Ethan Bullemor at the moment).

The difference is that... instead of sticking around and working on his shortcomings before getting another crack at an NRL start, Tom then quit both the club and rugby league altogether a few weeks later, in the middle of the season, while still under contract.

It ended up working out for him as later he debuted for the Wallabies... but I find the narrative that the then-coach (albeit, a substandard one) is solely to blame for him quitting, is just a quick and easy explanation for disgruntled fans looking for a scapegoat.

Last edited:
Seriously... the guy got dropped from the Top 17 after scoring 1 try and otherwise looking a bit at sea at NRL level. It's really not the end of the world for a young player (I suppose you could say similar things about Ethan Bullemor at the moment).

The difference is that... instead of sticking around and working on his shortcomings before getting another crack at an NRL start, Tom then quit both the club and rugby league altogether a few weeks later, in the middle of the season, while still under contract.

It ended up working out for him as 3 years later he debuted for the Wallabies... but I find the narrative that the then-coach (albeit, a substandard one) is solely to blame for him quitting, is just a quick and easy explanation for disgruntled fans looking for a scapegoat.

How about you actually use facts instead of bullschiit.

He did not quit mid season, he quit after the 2018 season ended.

Anyone could see he had attacking skills that were special, however Twent seemed unable to coach him in D as well as most of the team.

Who would blame him. He had a former 5/8th that couldn't coach. It was clear that he was not going to be coached or picked in 2019 after being ignored all of 2018.

Canberra rugby saw his potential, contacted him and the rest is history.

Watched Tom still attacking marvel in hand but again his defence let him down pretty soft try in let in on short side just before half time

I can't believe people are still burning a candle for The Great Wright Hope. Was always going to be a better rugby player than a league player from what I saw.

Does anyone seriously think we'd be better off over the last 3-4 years if he was still here ? Where exactly is he playing in our current side at full strength ?? Our main weakness in the backline is centre, and a centre he ain't.

How about you actually use facts instead of bullschiit.

He did not quit mid season, he quit after the 2018 season ended.

It's a moot point but he quit after our 2018 season ended, but during the finals series. He was still mid-contract when he left.

Anyone could see he had attacking skills that were special, however Twent seemed unable to coach him in D as well as most of the team.

Who would blame him. He had a former 5/8th that couldn't coach.

Barrett's overall coaching ability aside. A quick run or two doesn't instantly give a young player a free pass to take up a spot in the starting side every week.

Remember how Des kept the likes of Haumole, Schuster and Hopoate in reserve grade for most of 2020 while the NRL side was doing terribly? But of them, only Albert ended up leaving, and he's played 1 (?) NRL game since. ST was also imploding during that time and saying Des has lost the plot, but I think time has shown that there is a lesson in there somewhere.

Would Tom Wright have improved under Des? No doubt... but he made his own decision not to stick around, so it's really a pointless debate. We might as well have a discussion about what Brian Kelly would have amounted to if he stayed too.

It was clear that he was not going to be coached or picked in 2019 after being ignored all of 2018.

You present that like it is fact when it's entirely reasonable that he was just dropped on form. Also, the garden furniture press conference was in August, while Tom left in September. So I don't buy that the 2019 coach potentially still being Barrett was the reason Tom left.

Canberra rugby saw his potential, contacted him and the rest is history.

Indeed, so really not much point rehashing this topic every year.

I don’t wanna be a jerk but I seriously think the love in for Tom Wright is one of the most ridiculous things that pops up on this forum. The guy was a complete non-event and we don’t even need him now anyway. Who gives a **** what he is doing in rugby or what Barrett did or didn’t do...anyone would think it’s the equivalent of the Dogs letting Thurston walk...I was over the moon when Wright pissed off and left. I can’t stand those flashy players with no % or grit in their football. They never win you anything in this day and age.

Sometimes this place is hilarious,in the Schuster forum Des has no role for any issue,in this thread it is all Barretts' fault,hope he stays in union.

Sometimes this place is hilarious,in the Schuster forum Des has no role for any issue,in this thread it is all Barretts' fault,hope he stays in union .

Now that we are discussing union on here ,wonder how a fully fit Schuster will go in union at 10 , especially with the world cup coming here in 2027 .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4