Tom Wright

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
You could find a couple of nice tries from Roy Bell and Joven Clarke as well, doesn’t mean they are champion league players

This lad lost me when he barely attempted to make a tackle and then didn’t bother chasing at all. Can’t blame the coach on that, that comes down to a players desire and ticker. He backed that up for me by taking the easy way out to go and catch a cold in a union backline

Let he who is without fault (sin) cast the first stone. I could find fault in every player on the field. My goodness, these forums are congested with such examples of players failing in some area. I've read many critical of Tom T's defence, of DCEs lack of effort of Taufua's failure under the high ball. If we dismiss players because of a few perceived failures, we wouldn't have a football team.

Not sure I mean baz started him at 6 v a rampant roosters team would have done wonders for confidence. Doubt we be looking at him given des let him go.

Not sure I mean baz started him at 6 v a rampant roosters team would have done wonders for confidence. Doubt we be looking at him given des let him go.

Again I dont think Des had anything to do with Wright leaving. I could be wrong and perhaps there is someone here who knows behind the scenes action. However you will note Wright was negotiating with the Brumbies at least several months before Des was hired back. At that stage Barrett still had over a year left on his contract and therefore was the only one with the right to release him (other than the owners). Wright left almost 2 months before Des was signed so officially he would have had no power to make such a decision.

Again I dont think Des had anything to do with Wright leaving. I could be wrong and perhaps there is someone here who knows behind the scenes action. However you will note Wright was negotiating with the Brumbies at least several months before Des was hired back. At that stage Barrett still had over a year left on his contract and therefore was the only one with the right to release him (other than the owners). Wright left almost 2 months before Des was signed so officially he would have had no power to make such a decision.
I seen him a bit in union seems bit more mature, we lacking attack currently so I not say no but I be doubtful the rah rahs would let him go.

A 5-second NRL highlight reel is not to be sneezed at. Certainly better than none at all :)
In 5 seconds he exploded from 40 metres out of the try line and left an entire opposing back line clutching at thin air, the passionate fans off their seats as well as the commentator having an orgasm describing that thrilling try .

The Incomparable Immortal discovered Wright and Trent the most uninspiring coach in our history could not get the best out of him as well as the rest of our playing group
And yes you are right Tom was negotiating with the Brumbies before Des came as Trent the super head coach in his own lunch time fell out with the Incomparable Immortal in his last year and went solo and he took our Great club so low as well and we were lucky to avoid the wooden.
What Siebold is doing with Broncos is the same affect Trent had on our Manly team .

I dont give a stuff how fast you are, if you cant tackle, you won't play much 1st grade.

Case in point, that Staines kid today for the Panthers.
His defensive reads and positioning was more impressive than falling over the line for 4 tries.

I dont give a stuff how fast you are, if you cant tackle, you won't play much 1st grade.

Case in point, that Staines kid today for the Panthers.
His defensive reads and positioning was more impressive than falling over the line for 4 tries.
You are 100% correct you do need to know how to defend to perform at NRL level
Defence can be taught as Des improved players like Parker
Blistering speed though can not be taught as it is a gift from your family DNA .

You are 100% correct you do need to know how to defend to perform at NRL level
Defence can be taught as Des improved players like Parker
Blistering speed though can not be taught as it is a gift from your family DNA .

Yeah great, but nothing I saw from Wright showed me that he was willing to put his body on the line defensively, in fact on at least 1 occasion, he showed a distinct unwillingness to take the physical hit in defence.

You can't teach tough.

Any way you dice it, even with the new touch footy game in 2020, defence wins comps.
Tigers '05 the only exception in living memory.

Yeah great, but nothing I saw from Wright showed me that he was willing to put his body on the line defensively, in fact on at least 1 occasion, he showed a distinct unwillingness to take the physical hit in defence.

You can't teach tough.

Any way you dice it, even with the new touch footy game in 2020, defence wins comps.
A good coach can teach / motivate and lift players spirits to play above their weight and play tough and resilient just like Des has to all our players . Under Trent we lost the Manly spirit and resilience and nearly won the spoon for the first time in our proud history
You are right ,Defence does win comps and with the exception of a few off games we have been resilient this year and we will show this resilience with a win against the Dragons today .

Sadly there are two major ingredients in the formula of success. Defence and attack. We need both as we are languishing without good attack at present. Wright has a ton of potential but we couldn’t identify talent in a beauty pageant.

You can't teach tough.

Id say 1 on 1 defense is MORE important in leauge 2020.

The difficulty of identifying the worth of a player in first grade often takes months, not two full games and a couple of short stints off the bench.

Bozo identifies a problem regarding Barrett's coaching skill and certainly there were several players who were early on identified with flawed tackling skill, not the least being Turbo ( check out the comments when he first played including his positional play).

Wright's tackling in the juniors did not seem to be questioned. His only noted flaw was at times lack of involvement, but then I guess someone with his attacking ability is always going to be the focus of heavy defence against him. It showed in the SG Ball finals, where Wright exploded in the semi but was quiet in the GF leaving it to Cust to run the show...and help them win.

Coming into first grade must be an intimidating experience and Wright was thrust into 5/8 after barely half a games worth of experience in firsts through a couple of short stints off the bench (one for 6 minutes). Its tougher, harder, faster, more tactical. Adapting obviously rarely comes instantly ( I recall Toovey being one of the few who was a stand out from the start. Took Lyons several years). No doubt Wright was struggling a little in taking his time to adapt and fit in, which is quite common (I recall Sterling's first few games were a real struggle for him). I think his initial problems were positional play, which affected his apparent defensive issues, though one on one he seemed to have no problem.

And Wright hardly had the best coaching support from one of the Dragon/Steeler coaching group, who are at best adequate (Barrett, Brown, McGregor).

Like I said, tough call expecting the kid to meet all first grade requirements immediately.

images (1).jpg

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4