Tom Trbojevic Says no to Hasler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
DES Hasler has never been an easy man to say no to, especially when you’ve idolised him from the stands as he delivered your local club multiple premierships.

But somehow Tom Trbojevic found a way to knock back Hasler’s approach late last year to join him at the Bulldogs to chase his NRL dream with the Sea Eagles.

While Trbojevic was humbled by ​Hasler’s offer, the 18-year-old fullback’s deep desire to don the maroon and white in the NRL won out in the end​, and was the reason he re-signed with Manly until the end of 2016.

Now the Mona Vale Raiders junior, dubbed a future Kangaroo by former international Matthew Johns, has his sights firmly set on fulfilling his first grade goals.

“Des contacted me through my agent (Paul Sutton) and there was a bit of interest, but I never really wanted to leave the Manly club,” Trbojevic told The Daily Telegraph.

“I really enjoy it here, it’s close to home and I love the beaches. I was born in Mona Vale, raised in Mona Vale and played juniors for Mona Vale, so that’s where I want to be.

“But it was definitely flattering with the money being offered and the fact it was Des. It did enter my mind to think about going, but I just couldn’t leave Manly.

“I really look up to players like Jamie Lyon, how he carries himself on-and-off the field.

“Also players like Kieran Foran, who is just a great person off the field and on the field he is a competitor.

“That’s something that I want to base my game on.”

Manly may have lost Narrabeen​ boy ​Anthony Watmough to archrivals Parramatta, but in Trbojevic there’s another Northern Beaches local set to star for the famous club.

He dominated his maiden season in the NYC ranks last year, scoring a record 20 tries in just 17 games to earn the club’s under 20s Player of the Year honours.

Trbojevic has stepped up to the senior squad this summer and received the ultimate initiation and education during a chilly hike up Mt Kosciuszko last week.

“I’ve never been so cold, it was ridiculous,” he said with a smile.

“At one stage I tried to talk, but I couldn’t speak. My face was cold and the rain was coming in sideways ... I never want to go up there again.

“But I learnt a lot from the senior players like Willie Mason and Matt Ballin, who were my two team leaders.

“They never stopped talking and they were the motivators who got us through it. There were times when I was thinking, ‘why am I doing this?’, but those senior guys helped me push on.

“We had a briefing at the end and David Williams said, ‘I know it was tough out there, but I knew we’d get through because that’s what our culture is all about’.

“That was definitely inspiring and a big reason why the club is so successful.”

Trbojevic also represented NSW under 18s this season — alongside Newcastle rookie sensation Sione Mata’utia.

He said Mata’utia’s rise to the NRL and Test ranks has motivated him to follow in his footsteps in 2015.

“I got the chance to play alongside Sione for the NSW 18s,” said Trbojevic, whose older brother Jake has played a handful of top grade games at Manly.

“He has obviously worked really hard on his game and he has got to a very high level.

“It’s really evident in the way that he holds himself. He is very humble and a competitor, so that’s something I’d like to aspire towards.

“The coaching staff has told me to keep working hard and that’s what I’ll do.”

Des is desperate for a fullback. Perrett and even Brett Morris are ok as fill-ins, but they're wingers, not fullbacks.

He couldn't get Snake.

Turbo Tom has turned him down.

Who's he going to target next? Peta? Gutho?

“We had a briefing at the end and David Williams said, ‘I know it was tough out there, but I knew we’d get through because that’s what our culture is all about’.

Glad Tom's staying and extra glad we still have The Wolfman.

Great story. Dead-set...is there anyone..anyone that thinks Foran is a diick?:p
He's has to be one of the most respected blokes in the NRL. If he doesn't end up our CEO when he finishes playing, I hope he takes on the NRL CEO job. He reminds me a lot of Ken Arthurson.

HoldenV8 said:
Des is desperate for a fullback. Perrett and even Brett Morris are ok as fill-ins, but they're wingers, not fullbacks.

He couldn't get Snake.

Turbo Tom has turned him down.

Who's he going to target next? Peta? Gutho?

He has already had a try at getting Gutherson.

ha$$ler is a POS!!!!! He has utterly destroyed his Manly Legacy.

Awesome post BE. Deserved a triple like and some icecream.
Shows how Hasler's changed in that dogs environment. At Manly he bought In couple of key players players and built a team to win premierships.
At dogs he's trying to buy everyone from everywhere.
Good on you Tom.T. Only 18 and you're already a Manly man.

There is also a story in the Tele about BJ meeting a lion cub. Not sure what to make of all this um... positive (is that the right word? I'm not totally sure because I'm so used to the Telecrap dumping on Manly) press...

Loobs said:
There is also a story in the Tele about BJ meeting a lion cub. Not sure what to make of all this um... positive (is that the right word? I'm not totally sure because I'm so used to the Telecrap dumping on Manly) press...
.....wait till tomorrow, the headline will be "Manly player seeks release to join Brisbane AFL team"

Another DESpicable act by someone we all once admired.
There are dozens of promising non-Sea Eagles players who the "prick-with-hair' could target; why he chooses to dig the knife into Manly even deeper than he already has sickens me.
Great news that Tom Turbojet is staying true to his upbringing. He will be a star.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6