Time for IC to step in

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

silvertail

Reserve Grader
My first post since GF.

Sick to death of the daily speculation of who we will lose next, just like the rest of you.

Enough is enough, and it's time for the Commission to step in. The Maloney and Scott affairs demonstrates that this is not limited to Manly.

The IC should immediately ban all player contract negotiations. The negotiation window should be limited to one month after the grand final. Very severe penalties should be imposed on players, officials, managers and clubs for non-compliance (eg deregistration and/or large fines).

Some sort of serious penalty should be imposed on journalists reporting on player negotiations outside of the negotiation window (eg banned from entering any NRL event).

Discuss.

RE: Time for IC step in

I don't see what the problem with the current system is ?? So what if a player signs for another club 12 months out from the start of a season. Is it the actually signing that annoys you, or that fact that it is leaked to the media ??

Look it's not just Manly, so I don't know why we are being so precious about it.

Homesick Taylor next big name on the move March 18, 2012

Some of the NRL's biggest names, including David Taylor, are on the verge of announcing their futures, writes Adrian Proszenko.

Marquee forward David Taylor is leaning towards leaving South Sydney as the NRL player market prepares to go into overdrive.

Taylor heads an impressive list of stars who are off contract or have their futures up in the air, including Daly Cherry-Evans, Kieran Foran, Cooper Cronk, Jared Waerea-Hargreaves, Michael Gordon, Brett Stewart, Michael Gordon, Darcy Lussick, Braith Anasta, Tim Moltzen and Sika Manu, as well as restless All Blacks centre Sonny Bill Williams.

Roosters-bound pivot James Maloney and Newcastle recruit Beau Scott are the first stars to flag their long-term intentions, but a raft of others are poised to announce moves in coming weeks.

As Mike Newton, the boss of the Players Agents Association, observed: ''Everyone is in a holding pattern. There's probably half a dozen blue-chip players on the market and as soon as one of them makes a move, the dominoes will fall pretty quickly. At this point there is plenty of rumour and innuendo but nobody has made a move. Things will start to pick up pace in the next seven days or so.''

Taylor has been agonising over whether to remain in South Sydney or to return home to Queensland. However, given his family ties, it's understood the 23-year-old is keen to shift back north.

The Maroons forward would be a major addition to the forward pack of all three Queensland sides. The ''Coal Train'' burst onto the scene for the Broncos in 2006 but has also fielded interest from Gold Coast and North Queensland. Should he make the move, it would be a massive blow to the Rabbitohs, who have assembled a formidable pack which also includes Sam Burgess, Roy Asotasi and Michael Crocker.

Taylor is just one of the big players poised to make a switch for 2013. Five years after his acrimonious split with Canterbury, Williams is set to return to the NRL, most likely at the Roosters. The move will cause a chain reaction in the playing ranks, given that veterans Anthony Minichiello and Anasta are uncontracted but keen to play on. Waerea-Hargreaves is another marquee Rooster weighing up his options, while The Sun-Herald has learned that Adrian Morley is a chance of returning to Bondi Junction.

Another rugby star, Wallabies five-eighth Quade Cooper, has been linked to the Roosters but officials have denied any interest.

The club most likely to be picked apart is Manly. The premiers have massive salary-cap issues for 2013 and a host of stars off contract. Their priority is retaining halves Cherry-Evans and Foran. Both are signed for 2013, although Foran has a get-out clause in his contract, while Cherry-Evans is secured on a deal below his market value. It will be impossible to keep them and also retain all their other free agents, including Steve Matai, Lussick and Stewart. Many of their bigger names are on heavily back-ended deals. ''It's obvious that success brings challenges when it comes to managing the salary cap,'' Manly boss David Perry said. ''We're working with all player managers currently to get the best possible outcome for all parties, but the reality is it's going to be hard to satisfy everybody. We've got to find a balance where we've got experience but we're looking towards the future as well. It means some hard decisions will have to be made and we're going through that process.''

Another club set to experience a turnover in personnel is Parramatta. Nathan Hindmarsh, Luke Burt, Fuifui Moimoi, Justin Poore, Ben Smith and Shane Shackleton are all free agents. Potentially all of them could be finishing at the club at the end of 2012.

''Obviously there is going to be some shuffling about, but who it is, I'm not sure at this point,'' Eels boss Bob Bentley said. ''[Recruitment boss] Pete Nolan, the coach and myself will sit down at the next opportunity we get and put that into play. We'll give some thought to what direction we want to give to it and make some decisions. It's still early days at this point.''

The Eels could be one of the big players in the market should they clear the decks. Which prompts the question - who will they go for? ''I had a look at a recent list of players coming off contract,'' Bentley said. ''A couple of names stood out but obviously you have to sit down and work out if you can afford them under the cap and if it's someone who'll fit in with what we're trying to build here.''

Newton, who is also Waerea-Hargreaves's manager, said his client's preference was to stay put, despite interest from union and five NRL clubs. ''Hopefully I can get that all done within the next seven to 10 days,'' he said. ''I'm putting my toe in the water with the interested parties but we won't be making any decisions until we sit down with the Roosters again.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/homesick-taylor-next-big-name-on-the-move-20120317-1vc4x.html#ixzz1pQlAFG00

I'll tell you wants wrong with the current situation. Everybody is discussing 2013 and speculating on 2014 when we should be concentrating on the matches this week.
We have leaches advising players and making ridiculous demands on clubs, and it's being played out in the media. These leaches are destabilising clubs, and fans, and it's interfering with the pleasure we should be getting from watching our team play.
If you can't see that the system needs fixing then you are a perfect candidate for being a video ref.

simple solution: get rid of player managers OR ban them from talking to the media

Yes, it's the signings AND Media coverage that annoys me. All fans shouldn't have to put up with this rubbish until after the grand final.

I'm with chip n chase on this, no problem with how it is.

I'm quite happy to watch the games and not get involved in this the sky is falling garbage

So say we do move it until the end of the season, it wouldn't change a thing at all with the guys being off contract for next year and all the people on here speculating about it all

If you want to stop players signing before a particular date, its pretty simple. A contract is a legal document which must be signed and dated. The NRL could just refuse to register any contract signed by a player with a new club before say, August 15, or whenever.

You can't stop them negotiating but that gives the current club an advantage in retaining them, as does the shorter time to arrange a relocation. Even if they agree to terms early with a new team, the current club still has time to try to change their mind.

No player is obligated to have a manager.

Those that do have one are also well within their rights to tell their manager what THEY want them to do, after all they are the client.

Sure the managers are money grubbing bottom feeders, but more fool the players for employing them and then letting them run the negotiation process how they see fit. The players are just as guilty as the manager if they aren't prepared to take responsibility for their own contracts and how they are negotiated.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4