Time for a YART !!! Yaaaaay.....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
As far as I see it, there are two options only:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Jamie Lyon
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Luke Williamson

14. Travis Burns
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Adam Cuthbertson / Jason Wells

OR

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Travis Burns
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Steve Matai

14. Shayne Dunley
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Luke Williamson

I reckon look at the strength of the two benches to see which one is more appropriate.

Hopefully Dessie has a 3rd option because I am afraid that none of those 2 options will win us a premiership.

If you assume a side averages three of their starting 17 injured each week after around Round 10, those benches look VERY ugly to me.

At least there will be some versatility to cover things:

Burns: 5/8, hooker
Lyon:centre, 5/8
Matai: centre, lock
Beaver: Centre, 2nd row, lock
Hicks: Wing, centre
Monas: Hooker, half
Ballin: hooker, 2nd row?
Cuthbo: lock, 2nd row, front row
Robertson: wing, fullback

If you assume a side averages three of their starting 17 injured each week after around Round 10, those benches look VERY ugly to me.

Interesting theory Mata, but right on the money I'd say as well. Here's a team around State of Origin:-

01. Brett Stewart
02. Michael Robertson
03. Steve Matai
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Travis Burns
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Mark Bryant
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Luke Williamson

14. Shayne Dunley
15. George Rose
16. Glenn Hall
17. Jason Wells

I know that's tough on Belly, but due to injury, he finished the year a lot softer than he began, and I think this may work negatively in his favour. I also think that up for contention in SOO will be:-

Greg Inglis
Brent Tate
Justin Hodges
Karmicheal Hunt
Willie Tonga
Darius Boyd
Bille Slater
Steven Bell

and there may be one or two bolters. Steve Turner comes to mind.

Queensland's backline looks to be a cracker for the next decade - maybe the pendulum is swinging the way of the good guys again?

7. Thurston/Tim Smith/Prince
6. Lockyer/ Thurston

Centres: Hodges/Tonga/Inglis/Tate

Wing: Slater/Tate/Tuqiri/Sailor/Rogers

1. Hunt/Slater/Wesser

I totally agree gentlemen. As a N.S.Welshmen thru and thru , i think we are in the ****ta for the next few years. Not so much that we will have a bad team , but QLD would be near the best ever QLD side put together.

[quote author=tookey]
Hopefully Dessie has a 3rd option because I am afraid that none of those 2 options will win us a premiership.

Tooks - put up your side mate.
[/quote]

What I mean is that I hope that dessie still has a couple more offseason recruits up his sleeve to come. Our backs are fine but I worry about our pack.

Hopefully Jack halfasanga will prove to be a good buy like rose was last year. Someone like Charlie Tonga would have been useful because at least he is hard to stop and gets forward momentum. My side would be:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Steve Mattai
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Travis Burns
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Jason Wells

14. Matt Ballin
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Cuthbo/stewart/halfasanga

From what i have seen of wells he reminds me of a young Nick Kosef. Tall and rangy with good ball skills. Time for Dunley and willo to go.

Glen Stewart to fight for a spot on the bench because of his defensive work. He offers much more than Willo does now and Ballin instead of dunley.

[quote author=Ryan]
[quote author=tookey]

Tooks - put up your side mate.
[/quote]

What I mean is that I hope that dessie still has a couple more offseason recruits up his sleeve to come. Our backs are fine but I worry about our pack.

Hopefully Jack halfasanga will prove to be a good buy like rose was last year. Someone like Charlie Tonga would have been useful because at least he is hard to stop and gets forward momentum. My side would be:

01. Brett Stewart
02. Steve Mattai
03. Jamie Lyon
04. Steven Bell
05. Chris Hicks
06. Travis Burns
07. Matt Orford
08. Jason King
09. Michael Monaghan
10. Brent Kite
11. Anthony Watmough
12. Steve Menzies
13. Jason Wells

14. Matt Ballin
15. George Rose
16. Mark Bryant
17. Cuthbo/stewart/halfasanga

From what i have seen of wells he reminds me of a young Nick Kosef. Tall and rangy with good ball skills. Time for Dunley and willo to go.

Glen Stewart to fight for a spot on the bench because of his defensive work. He offers much more than Willo does now and Ballin instead of dunley.

[/quote]

SOLD !!! My friend - that is a great side, and it is a team that can age together, and would then give opportunity to players so that they can improve.

Can Dunley / Willow improve from where they are? No in my opinion.

I agree Dunely/Willo are past their use by dates - good as a back in P/L but as players who can make a difference/impact in NRL????

Tookey - not a fan of Steve matai? You have left him out althogether.

Look again wheel. I have Matai on the wing.

I am not convinced with his defence as a centre as too many times he goes in for the big hit and the opposition player just bounces off him and keeps running.

He would need to bulk up considerably to be a forward so next year I see him as a winger and then maybe a forward the year after.

On the wing he won't be exposed as much in defence and would be good at running the ball back from kicks. I reckon he could put on a couple of Mitch creary bell ringers each game as well.

A lot of oppostion centres would be looking over their shoulders every time they got the ball in case he lined them up for a big hit comming in from the wing.

Wheel - I also see your mate James B was in the paper over the weekend defending himself about being named in Jonestown. Tough old show down in struggle street.

Tookey great effort....love the team. Matai on the wing is a good "next year" option. Gives him a year to run like a Hoppa style player, try and build up some more muscle size, then the following year help out the forwards running from dummy half....
Glad you left Dunley and Williamson out..... that would have been the same boring crap we got this year. Time to give the PL's a go. Can always bring em back out of the retirement village later in the year if the plan doesn't work out.

Wheel - I also see your mate James B was in the paper over the weekend defending himself about being named in Jonestown. Tough old show down in struggle street.

I missed that tookey, was Manly Oval dressing room mentioned? 8D

[quote author=tookey]

I missed that tookey, was Manly Oval dressing room mentioned? 8D

[/quote]

I haven't read the book yet but JB was in the Sunday paper as saying that the comments about him in Jonestown are disgusting. Apparantly Masters refers to gossip involving a ball celebrating Manly's 1983 premiership win.

I have e-mailed the article to you.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4