Thought's on todays game

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Thought's on todays game

I thought we missed the attitude / defence and structure that Burns gives to the team. I hope we sign him up to a good long deal.

I thought Lyon recognised Orford was having a bit of an off day, and lifted. Kind of took the game on his shoulders.

Hicks / Bell's combination seems to be back to what it was last year. Oustanding. Nothing better than seeing Bell in the open.

Monaghan had a fantastic game. Again. With Lyon, Burns and potentially Orford out in future years through rep footy and/or injury - Monnas will have a plethora of time in the 1/2's. I think it would be MUCH better to retain him, than him sign elsewhere (fingers crossed).

Ballin was the spark in attack that Manly needed to lift. Another Hookers try. He's our future in this position.

Defence around the ruck was a concern. But with a weeks rest with our City / Country lads, as well as Burns back, and the fact that the media will beat this game up this week against The Slime, I'm betting we tighten right up in defence again.

Matty Orford. We all need to remember how great a player he is and will be. He had an off day today - but they are rare for the little bloke. He's got another 2 odd weeks to show his wares. I want to give him time.

Brent Kite showed his leasership mentality in that 2nd 1/2. Brilliant performance. The same can be said for a Jason King that was backing up. A lot of other players that backed up had quite quiet games.

Choc surely has to be in the minds of SOO selectors. Have him in the chair right next to Burns Monday morning when signing their contracts.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While not our best effort in the 1st 1/2, we DID win the second 42-18. Not a bad display of attack.

We all also need to remember Matty will be filthy on himself, and Des will be having a word to him I'm sure. Lets support our captain. He'll have a blinder this week at Brookie I'm certain.

Cheers for your time lads. :lol2: :lol2: Top of the table !!!! :D :D :lol: :lol:

Thought's on todays game

well balanced perspective on everything mate, a bit more of that is required around the web sites at the moment.

Thought's on todays game

good post Ryan...

I dont think many people want Orford dropped.. just recognizing hes had a bad game like we do for all the players. He was very poor.. thats the end of it.. next week im sure he will be better.. he cant be much worse. Hes also got to work alot more on the defensive side of his game

Thought's on todays game

Your positivity is starting to outplay the negativity..Nice !!.Doesnt it feel better ??

Thought's on todays game

ORFORD REGRETS ERRORS - SMH

MATT Orford came down hard on himself over his performance for Manly against Canberra yesterday and was in no mood to talk about his chances of being picked to play for NSW in State of Origin I.

The fact that the Sea Eagles came from 12-0 down to win 46-30 was of no comfort to halfback Orford, who was annoyed about making several glaring errors.

They included being pulled up for a couple of forward passes and knocking the ball on, under no pressure, from a kick-off. Canberra scored a try from the resulting set off the dropped ball.

"It was a game I want to forget," Orford said. "A couple of forward passes and that dropped ball from the kick-off - that came at a crucial time."

Manly had scored 22 straight points to go from 18-6 down to 28-18 ahead before the drop. Canberra's subsequent converted try gave the Raiders new hope, at 28-24 down, but the Sea Eagles stepped up another gear from there to win.

"I'll try to find some positives but I'm a bit dirty on myself," Orford said. "There were positive parts of my game but I don't want to make errors like that."

Orford did help to set up a couple of second-half tries with kicks, but he was obviously looking for a lot more from himself.

The NSW team will be picked next Tuesday for the game against Queensland in Brisbane on May 23 and Orford is a prime contender for the Blues' No.7 jumper.

Orford said he wasn't thinking about representative selection. "Seriously, I have completely forgotten about it," he said. "I don't want to get caught up in any of the talk.

"I'm three games back [from a month out with injury] and I'm still not happy with where I am with my game.

"I want to play Origin, but right now I've got to get my game back to where I'd like it to be for Manly. If I'm playing good consistent footy, then rep selection will look after itself."

Meanwhile, Orford's Manly teammate Jamie Lyon, says it doesn't worry him whether he is picked at centre or five-eighth for NSW.

Lyon is a certain selection, it's just a matter of what position. He started at five-eighth for Manly yesterday and played most of the game there before going back to the centres when the back line was reshuffled due to an injury to Clint Halden.

"It doesn't worry me at all whether it's five-eighth or centre," Lyon said. "There are a few good players in the halves and the centres, so I don't know what the selectors might do."

Lyon is the regular goal kicker for Manly and he could be asked to take the kicks for NSW, depending on whether the selectors decide to include Bulldogs winger and ace goal kicker Hazem El Masri.

Asked if he would like that added responsibility, Lyon replied: "That would be OK if that's how it works out. There would probably be a bit of pressure, but there is a bit of pressure in every game."

Lyon is in his first year with Manly after returning to the NRL from rugby league in England. Yesterday's game was his best so far for the Sea Eagles.

MATCH FOCUS

VIDEO NASTY

Nasty for the Raiders but sweet for the Sea Eagles when the video ref ruled Michael Robertson had not put a foot out in scoring off Jamie Lyon's freakish tap-back. Manly were never headed from there.

THEY SAID IT

"We had a good first half, but in the second half we were poor and they were marching down the middle. At one stage, out of nine sets they had eight." Canberra coach Neil Henry on Manly's finish.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2