Thoughts on our new players that played tonight?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The Who said:
David Gower just needs to get his foot closer to the ball. On turning pitches like Suncorp you need soft hands, and good technique. I'm sure he'll work this out in net sessions this coming week.

Gower looked a bit right arm ordinary and his position is certainly not in the slips with his hands.

Wish we had signed Ian Botham ad he would have added a lot more size and aggression to our pack.

That Gower guy has a weird flick pass. could have cost us dearly but if it comes out could be dangerous. I think we need innovative players.

All i was left wondering was if it was Rose injected into the game when the broncos were on their knees, he would've taken full advantage of it and we wouldve put 2-3 more tries on the board. Not going to pick on gower, he's obviously impressed in pre-season and earned a spot, but it seemed an odd choice when you have a more experienced (around these guys) bloke sitting it out. and im still not convinced in not making use of the bench as much as should, must be tough on a kid to sit around on alert for 70 or so mins, then get thrust in the game. but hey im not the coach. im surte there is some smart strategy behind it that'll pay off one day.

Buhrer really came into his own when the broncos were down, but i think he was that one step too tired by then to really break the line.

great performance all round. seemed to have that 'never clock off' vibe happening and we weren't all that far from digging the knife in and going on with the game, which has been a little lacking in the past.
good start!

agree about Rose, his attack and roll on would have been enormous in metres gained. Shame Tooves doesn'rt rate him anymore. George needs a fresh start.

Supernintendo Chalmers said:
All i was left wondering was if it was Rose injected into the game when the broncos were on their knees, he would've taken full advantage of it and we wouldve put 2-3 more tries on the board. Not going to pick on gower, he's obviously impressed in pre-season and earned a spot, but it seemed an odd choice when you have a more experienced (around these guys) bloke sitting it out. and im still not convinced in not making use of the bench as much as should, must be tough on a kid to sit around on alert for 70 or so mins, then get thrust in the game. but hey im not the coach. im surte there is some smart strategy behind it that'll pay off one day.

Buhrer really came into his own when the broncos were down, but i think he was that one step too tired by then to really break the line.

great performance all round. seemed to have that 'never clock off' vibe happening and we weren't all that far from digging the knife in and going on with the game, which has been a little lacking in the past.
good start!
Match fitness will come in a few rounds, Killer and Snake seemed a bit down on it as well

I thought we looked pretty fit actually, obviously there will always be some cobwebs this early, but i was pleasantly surprised. Lifted intensity when it was needed and held on when it was needed too.
Maybe i was just used to seeing buhrer being injected in with fresh legs last year and what impact that could've had last night if there was someone with spark (we all know george can turn that spark on) injected when they were down and out.
obviously our bench was bigger to combat brisbane's forward pack and with buhrer and ballin there was no need for a utility on bench, so that's where i thought George may have been a better option than Gower.
in the end.. we got a win, so all power to tooves, his plan obviously worked!

MPC75 said:
Horo ran some great decoy runs which lead to a couple of tries for us down the left side.

Finally someone mentions this. Horo contributed to two tries with excellent decoy runs. In past years we have tended to not 'sell' our decoys very well. It makes a big difference to the outcome when the defence is actually in two minds.

Berkeley_Eagle said:
and there is still the new blokes listed below

James Hassan
Kayne Lawton
Ligi Sao
Michael Chee Kam
Tom Symonds
Esi Tonga
Jacob Gagan
Jason Seage
Dane Chisholm

And the old blokes
King
Rose
Stewart

Bradza said:
MPC75 said:
Horo ran some great decoy runs which lead to a couple of tries for us down the left side.

Finally someone mentions this. Horo contributed to two tries with excellent decoy runs. In past years we have tended to not 'sell' our decoys very well. It makes a big difference to the outcome when the defence is actually in two minds.
I agree, our attack doesn't look predictable when the decoy runners are keeping the opposition in two minds.

I like what I saw last night and they can improve now that they've blown off the cobwebs and with the likes of Gift and King to come back I think we'll be on our way to the finals.

I know it's only the 1st game but the defence in the 1st 10-15 put a few of those donkeys on their arse.

One other thing which was notable was DCE's strength in both defence and attack.

RE: Your assessment of the debutants

mozgrame said:
Where are you Jethro??? ;)

@[mozgrame]

Why do you ask?

It's a shame George doesn't get a run regularly. He really does deserve a permanent bench spot. Why does Tooves not pick him?

Thought we hit the ground running, good ball movement, more team involvement (I thought last year we were waiting for individual brilliance) The left side attack looked much more balanced without T-Rex.
If Glenn's going to be missing for 5 more weeks...I'd like to see Symonds or Chee-Kam given the same opportunity as Gower....All in all I was really impressed, silly penalties were frustrating but it's early days.

Well done Tooves !

I thought Lawrence was fantastic, he hits the line hard and looks for offloads. Good hands too. Would like to see him start alongside Kite with King on the bench.

The left edge looked more dangerous than it has in a long time, maybe a combination of a fit Foran and Horo over T-Rex. T-Rex was destructive but predictable, Horo seems to run decoys that create space for Matai.

Gower won't make the 17 when other players are fit.

The forwards and bench will probably look like:

8. Kite
9. Ballin
10. Lawrence/King
11. Watmough
12. Horo
13. Stewart

14. King/Lawrence
15. Gulavao
16. Fa'aoso
17. Buhrer

Edit: I haven't looked at the stats but Matai also seemed to miss less tackles than he was last season, possibly because he's not trying to cover for T-Rex's ineptitude in defense.

there is nothing more demoralising then a forward that takes the ball up and gets driven back . Fa'aoso and Lawrence never take a step back and they are dynamic. Horo is strong and agile and runs good lines .Gower seems to be a solid player and young Jesse Sene-Lefao showed he has potential in the sort time he was on the field
Bench for next week
King
Fa;aoso
Gulavao
Symonds the red headed Beaver

firechild said:
Edit: I haven't looked at the stats but Matai also seemed to miss less tackles than he was last season, possibly because he's not trying to cover for T-Rex's ineptitude in defense.

Not to knock his match, but Matai did miss a crucial hit on Prince which led to the Maranta try. He read it right but bumped off too easily.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4