Thoughts on NRL from an ex Broncos supporter

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

nightster

The older I get the better I was
Premium Member
Tipping Member
On the flight from Bis to Bangkok I sat next to an ex Broncos, as he put it fanatic. He said he (and a heap of his mates), stopped following the NRL, him, after the end of the 2016 season because Greenturd, the betting companies and the referees had f***ed the game he grew up loving.
It would be interesting to know (I don't know how), just how many fans had become so disenchanted that they didn't follow the game any more.

Yeah it must be real tough following the Broncos, with the unlimited cap, 7 day turn-arounds, basically the entire state to cherry pick juniors from, the Thoroughbreds, etc, etc

My heart bleeds.

you miss the point my friend even a Broncos supporter can see that the game is a pathetic representation of what it was and should be .... not talking about specific clubs

Sort of ironic coming from a supporter of one of the 'darling' clubs

Newcastle however - love them or hate them you have to commend their supporters, they have been bottom of the table for a few years (trying to recover from the mess bennett left them in), however their supporters turn up in big numbers every home game. Not sure by how many or if their supporter base has grown over the last few years

Sort of ironic coming from a supporter of one of the 'darling' clubs

Newcastle however - love them or hate them you have to commend their supporters, they have been bottom of the table for a few years (trying to recover from the mess bennett left them in), however their supporters turn up in big numbers every home game. Not sure by how many or if their supporter base has grown over the last few years

I think you missed my point too MissKate ... maybe I shouldn't have said he was a Donkies supporter but a fan of the game

No team gets the rub of the green more from the refs than the Broncos and this has continued under Greenturd

I get your point Nightster and it speaks volumes for the state of the game when even a favored club’s supporters have had a gutfull. It’s a common theme I hear from anyone I speak to about footy. And not just the old blokes.

No team gets the rub of the green more from the refs than the Broncos and this has continued under Greenturd

Yep ask West Tigers about a joke penalty early in the season than handed the Broncos a win.

On the flight from Bis to Bangkok I sat next to an ex Broncos, as he put it fanatic. He said he (and a heap of his mates), stopped following the NRL, him, after the end of the 2016 season because Greenturd, the betting companies and the referees had f***ed the game he grew up loving.
It would be interesting to know (I don't know how), just how many fans had become so disenchanted that they didn't follow the game any more.
Off to soi cowboy or Nana plaza mate?
Bacarra club is a beauty ;)

you miss the point my friend even a Broncos supporter can see that the game is a pathetic representation of what it was and should be .... not talking about specific clubs

No I did not miss the point, I just refuse to have a supporter of the Broncos tell us all how bad things are.
The Broncos are the main cause of the shtful state of the NRL.

Superleague won the war, no doubt about it, and we see the fruits of that victory every weekend (or Friday night).

So to summarise: Fk the Broncos, fk the Broncos supporters (past and present), and fk Superleague and what it has ultimately done to Rugby League.

We use to have a tipping comp at work until 2015 when there was no interest.
We hardly talk about NRL at all now during the week. Even the die hard rooster fan is hardly heard from.

I have not watched all Manly games this year for the fist time that I can remember.

If I do talk NRL with my mates, it's brief and usually includes some negative conversation about salary cap, bunker or the NRL ineptitude.

The game is dying on the vine.

Count me in, Im one of those fans

Count me in, Im one of those fans

Yeah, me too - and basically all of my family, with the exception of one brother who might as well jump ship to Melbourne, with the amount of drooling and arse-licking he does over those cheats (he has a long history of blindly jumping on bandwagons though, whether it’s religion, politics...currently it’s veganism and trying to make everyone watch confirmation bias Netflix docos).

There was a time when I used to watch most games each week, and go to every home game and whatever away games I could make it to. That tailed off to just watching Manly games, and going to the ones that fit in around whatever else I was doing (as opposed to shuffling the calendar around the games like we used to), to now I pretty much only watch bits and pieces of games if they’re on the TVs at work, or the pub, or wherever. I’ll watch the Manly games if I happen to be at home not doing anything else, but I don’t make any effort to stay home/get home for them like I used to.

It’s been a couple of seasons since I went to a live game, I’ve actually been to more basketball and even the odd Union match in the interim (hey, free tickets to the Bledisloe, who wouldn’t?!).

I used to be a bit of a footy encyclopaedia, I could name basically every player from every club, what positions they played etc. Wouldn’t even recognise half of them now.

I take your point Nightster ....

They are losing the traditional fan base and the rusted on and replacing them with numbers on a TV viewing meter. People that care for a spectacle .. not a sport. People that are watching their $10 at 2-1 running around the field ... not their heros. People that will drop the game as soon as a better spectacle comes along ...

And as Harvies mentioned .... I have no idea what good the Commission has ever done ...

I used to be a bit of a footy encyclopaedia, I could name basically every player from every club, what positions they played etc. Wouldn’t even recognise half of them now.

I know what you mean... but I’ve found a loophole in that clause: just throw any name and the appellation “you know, the big Islander bloke”... that covers roughly 75% of the NRL lol..

Members online

No members online now.
Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4