Thoughts on New Signings

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I'm just so stoked for the coming season.  Can't wait to see who runs out and where they play.  Bring it on.

Bailey early to mid season last year was one of the form 5/8s of the comp.

In true smith wanker style he was dropped to the bench when he signed with Manly. This lasted just 2 weeks before he was starting again. He was up against some of the countries best young talent as well so that is no mean feet.

My tip is Bailey to get a run at 5/8 with Lyon in the centres. If it doesnt click then swap back after a month or 2 and fill the centre spot with Nuemann or someone out of position.

The Wheel link said:
Injuries, rep commitments will be make the dilemma easy to solve

Spot on. We can't expect the same good run as last year. Multiple redundancies is clearly part of dessie's plan, at 5/8, centre, back row. Bailey and Killer should get gametime at 5/8. Personally, now that Lyon is confident next to orford I think he will be most valuable for us at 6.

I don't know the juniors resources, but I'm a bit concerned about the front row interchange; dessie has routinely run a bench with 2 battering rams. I don't see using cuthbertson as a front row interchange as the best use of him; creating stuff a bit wider is the X factor he offers.

As someone else mentioned, backup at 7 is also a bit of an issue. 

Excellent post IMT - this will be the big factor with which we have to deal. Key for us will be playing well enough to be in the top four and then having healthy and fresh troops in September.

Hodkinson was bought from Parra as the backup for Orford. While he is a bit of an unknown there are wraps on him and he will defintely offer more tham Robson.

Last year we lined up with 5 props against teams that had 3

it didnt male any real difference.

Having guys like cuthbo and hall in the team between them covers a prop position with far more skill

Ryan, Lyon did the bomb thing you talk about once in 2 years (56 games). I would hardly be counting my chickens on that and trust me i have seen Bailey come up with a game breaking play in far less games.

Point being, we chould play our best 17 players that we have for 2009. IMO Bailey to get a chance at 5/8, lyon at centre, should things fail we have a back up plan.

in terms of balance i feel this year is our best. Cant do much worse on prop depth with big George being injured last year to even up Bryants departure, only real loss is the beaver

Bradza link said:
Hodkinson was bought from Parra as the backup for Orford. While he is a bit of an unknown there are wraps on him and he will defintely offer more tham Robson.

Zorba offers more than Robson - Dreadful backup imo.

Speaking of George, is he MIA?

Nah, he's around. He training with the top squad. Looks about at his normal playing weight, I've gotta say I'm pretty proud of how he's come back from the injury. I honestly thought he might never play again, but at this rate he'll get a couple of games around Origin when Kite/Perry get Blues duty (surely at least one of them will get a run....)

Crusher’s verdict
sportRugby League27 Jan 09 @ 02:42pm by JOHN GRECO

HE’S one of the shrewdest judges when it comes to spotting rugby league talent, and Noel “Crusher” Cleal is convinced Manly’s 2009 recruits will help keep the club at the forefront of the NRL Premiership.

Cleal has been keeping a close eye on the Sea Eagles’ four major recruits as the club continues to step up its training ahead of their premiership defence.

Cleal believes Chris Bailey, Shane Rodney, Tony Williams and young Trent Hodkinson are ideal acquisitions for next season.

And it looks like the most interesting tussle will be in the forwards, with both Bailey and Rodney facing tough challenges to break into Manly’s imposing pack.

“We’ve got a lot of depth in the club, particularly in the back row,” Cleal said.

“I’m excited about what (Bailey’s) going to do under the coaching he’ll get here.

“I like his versatility. He’s got size, bulk, speed and good skills as well.

“His pre-season training has been really good ... he takes no short cuts.”

Neither does Rodney, who is attempting to resurrect his first-grade career after three seasons plagued by injury.

“Shane’s had a tough time but he’s shown good character to keep coming back,” Crusher said.

“He’s got that toughness about him and I see him playing the Willo (Luke Williamson) role because he can fill a number of positions.

“I don’t see why he can’t get back to the level that saw him play rep footy.”

There’s been a lot of excitement around the acquisition of Williams and Cleal believes the youngster, nicknamed “T-Rex”, will be a huge asset.

“It might take Tony a bit of time to find his feet but he’s got everything,” Cleal said.

“He’s only a pup but I think he’s going to be a real strike weapon.”

Cleal believes young halfback Trent Hodkinson can be a star of the future.

“He’ll blossom under Des (Hasler) and Dennis (Moore) and it won’t hurt getting pointers from Ox (Orford),” Cleal said.

I was well and truly sold on Lyon staying at 5/8, but gees its hard to ignore just how good a centre he was (is).

I'm absolutely torn to be honest. I'd love to see Lyon on one side and Matai on the other. Its a brutal combination.

BUT...

Lets not forget its taken Lyon and Orford probably 2 years to finally get it right as a combination. Do we risk that happening all over again by putting Bailey in at 5/8.

Who knows.. Either way we have a bloody dominant side this year and I wouldnt be surprised if we got to double figure rounds before we lose a game.

Good thread folks.
Glad to hear George Rose is back and looking fit. I still think the grunt-heavy bench is part of the recipe for success and dessie will stick to it.
Agree that the centres are a bit thin; this might push Lyon out there more than might otherwise be the plan.
Bring it on! but more than ever we have a big target painted on us this year.

How do yous figure we're thin in the centres?  Don't we have Killer, T Williams,  Bani, Matai and Neumann?  Then there's the other Williams wanting to play centre.  Rodney, Cuthbo? That seems like plenty to me. 

Good lord....I hope we don't see Cuthbo in the centres at any point this year. He's too big, no lateral movement. Imagine him against a guy with decent footwork like Jennings. He'd get burnt everytime the ball went to that side of the field!

I don't mind our centre depth though. Matai and Lyon will start the year, I'm fairly sure. That's a world class centre pairing. We can't expect to have internationals waiting in reserve grade as back-up - Neumann/Bani are excellent back-up.

Healthy problems to have with our depth. That said i just hope we come out off the starting blocks pretty quick as the new combination's could take time to form ? Des is a great coach and I'm sure he already has a plan in place to which path he will take first as far as new / combination's go.

DSM5 link said:
How do yous figure we're thin in the centres? 

Agreed. We nearly have as many back up centres as we do backrowers.

Lyon
Neumann
T Williams
D Williams
Bani if desperate

Centre is a very different game to wing defensively. Bell was very solid positionally without the ball. Lyon is a great defender but it remains to be seen if the others are up to the mark at the highest level.

Jamie Lyon is the best defender in the comp in my opinion.  Anyone who thinks differently is an idiot.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2