Thoughts on Game1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Now the emotion has died down a bit.....

Tom Trbojevic - One of our best. We all know his talent, but there is no substitute for experience. In that regard, as good as Tommy was, we missed Snake tonight.

Jorge Taufua - Ran hard but made some simple errors which proved costly. Pulled our only try out of nothing.

Jamie Lyon - Quiet game from the skipper. Still doesn't seem to have confidence of those inside him and comes in leaving the winger in no-mans-land. That conversion was sweet though.

Steve Matai - On report for nothing really, but his record will probably hurt him. Had a mixed night really.

Brayden Wiliame - Same old same old from Wiliame unfortunately.

Dylan Walker - There are good signs there and he surprised me with a decent kicking game close to the line. Obviously a work in progress at 5/8.

Daly Cherry-Evans - Still seemingly down on form from last year, but then like last year he didn't have much room to work in tonight. Needs to demand the ball in our attacking half more often. Long kicking game was off, as shown by failing to find touch from a penalty.

Jake Trbojevic - Clearly our best tonight. Ran hard all night and was faultless in defense (zero missed tackles).

Api Koroisau - Went ok and defended ok (39 tackles, 4 missed), but I felt that Parcell offered more in attack. Still, it was his first game of the year.

Nate Myles - Solid without being spectacular. Needs to run onto the ball and not receive it flat footed.

Lewis Brown - Can't fault his effort, but his air swing not only stopped Tommy cleaning up, but allowed Hopoate to score. Can't help but think he's better suited to a bench utility role than a starter.

Nathan Green - Spent most of the night hiding out in the three-quarters. Not good for a second rower playing 80 minutes. About the only time he was spotted all night was when Kasiano crashed through him to score.

Martin Taupau - Made 41 tackles which I think blunted his stamina and thus his running. Could be in trouble because of that shoulder charge.

Matt Parcell - Hindsight says he probably should have started the game. Not that Api was bad, but Matty sparked our attack when he came on.

Blake Leary - Played very well in limited minutes. Probably should have started instead of Green.

Darcy Lussick - Like Nate Myles, solid without the spectacular. Needs to throw his weight around a bit by running and tackling hard.

Siosaia Vave - Offered next to nothing. How did he get a start over BJ, Starling or T-Red?

Ok so the season has begun.
Game1-
We looked flat tonight and there is no spark.
Way too many errors and way too many penalties for both teams.
Not going to place blame , just observations.
Parcel is our first choice #9. Needs to be encouraged to boss the attack but.
Green could be ok but we need Symonds or Mateo as the are experienced as MANLY players.
Williame=not first grade yet. What a crap winning record, poor guy.
Quite impressed with Walker actually. He showed all the skills but isn't used to the 5/8 role in first grade so I think the future is bright with him.
Need either Lawrence or starling or both in the side as they have experience playing for us.
When Stewart is back our attack will be sharper, and buhuer will give us more zip in the forwards.
Conclusion-
Our attack lacked cohesion, direction and spark.
Errors, errors, errors! It's not how many but when they occur and they all occurred at the bestomenta for the opposition to capitalise.
Overall it looks like a work in progress which is fine but it can't be that way for too long.
So let's all be positive, hold hands, and sing Kum Ba Yah
Manly paid the price for poor preparation - I mean do we really count the 2nd grade team that played a trial V Cronulla ? And a training run with full contact V Ipswich as proper trials ?? The effort was fine really : no body gave up (6 all 2nd half ) poor execution and poor ball control . Vave was good off the bench , and surprisingly I was happy with what I seen from Lussick . Both starting back rowers I'm not convinced !!! We will be better for the run . Time for fine tuning .... It's fixable .( don't panic )

It wasn't much fun to watch, that's for sure.

I think I got caught up in the new recruitment hype and thought we'd come out all guns blazing. But tonight showed there's still a lot of building and work to be done on gelling as a team.

Some basic errors for sure. It's hard to see top grade professionals drop the footy when kids can catch them, but as they get to know each others game it'll get better.

I should have realised that snake would be out and in a team of mainly new faces....it's a big loss.

I was hoping a new coach would stop Lyon's defensive strategy of running in field fast leaving the winger marking 3 guys. I mean if Steve Waugh can take hooking out of his game surely Jamie can change his. Not the reason for the loss...but the reason for the last try.

so rusty as but we'll get better. Some real basic mistakes from Brown and Williame and a chunk of early penalties against us right on our try line didn't help.

On a side note: I find it ironic how many of us laugh and condescendingly scoff at various threads on parra's forum when they are annoyed at a loss and after one game the front page here is filled with threads about players never to play again, calls for coach sackings, and general sky falling.

Biggest disappointment after the loss.....Hearing a 'matai's a wanker' chant from the dog supporters in the crowd. Lift yer game manly crowd!

Hopefully a big improvement next week. :)

I was hoping a new coach would stop Lyon's defensive strategy of running in field fast leaving the winger marking 3 guys. I mean if Steve Waugh can take hooking out of his game surely Jamie can change his. Not the reason for the loss...but the reason for the last try.
haha classic!

We missed getting the NRL memo that it's now OK to strip the ball with two or more in the tackle. Hasler was certainly watching the season opener and certainly instructed his players to strip the ball against us.

Hasler 1 - Barrett 0

I hope that next time we need a replacement winger that LAVAKA gets a chance to prove himself .... we bought him how about using him Williame is not up to it

Hopefully if Snake is back next week then Wiliame won't be in the side. Tommy was good at FB last night, but right now we'd be much better off with him on the wing, Snake at the back and Wiliame permanently banished to NSW Cup.

Don't get me wrong there, I thought Tommy, other than a dropped ball in the first half and nearly fluffing a try with a horrible pass that Jorge somehow saved, was one of our best last night. But playing him on the wing and Snake at FB means no Wiliame.

Hell, I'd even consider Moltzen at FB with Tom on the wing if it meant no Wiliame.

I know Gutho didn't have a great game against Brisbane, but how he was pushed out of the club last year and not Wiliame is a mystery. I can only think that Gutho going freed up more money.

Overall it was our first true hitout. Dogs have a pack of hardedned vetrans , that have played togtethe for ages, have been trained hard by donny singe, and hasler knows the game plans, plus whoever thought Hoppa would be a flop , then you obviously dont rmember well , when Hoppa used to play full back for us back in the Toyota Cup days great player, Manly last night however was just a team trying to gel, the combinations will come , this year is a rebuild, its not a premiership year, give them till round 8 before the knives come out. Kinda reminded me of our team back in 2006. We'll be ok, just dont go thinking we are definate top 4 team, baby steps , im happy just to get into the 8 this year TBH. Only thing is, Lawrence , needs to come in. Williame should never play first grade ever again. As good as Turbo is, he isnt snake atm, he is at least 3 years away from his organisation levels

What Hopoate showed last night is that playing for Parra-doesn't-matta is the path to mediocrity. He's out of there now and back with Des and obviously enjoying his football again. And since Brett Morris is going to be out for about 4 months, he will probably keep the Dogs #1 jumper and not continually swap between fullback one week and centre the next.

Other than Jake and Blake Leary, all of our forwards last night (including those on the bench) were in their first game for Manly. The Dogs pack was virtually the same one they've had for 2-3 years.

Again Bozo said you win the game at the ruck . However we still don't have those big boppers like the dogs, cowboys, roosters, storm, broncos that hit the advantage line. Apart from Jake T they hardly caused a ripple. Lack of size is still going to hurt us.
Come on Manly.........

Take out the tries gifted to them and it's a much closer scoreline.

If Jorge had been able to gather and ground that ball early in the first half, it could have been a very different game.

Given up on the Sci-Fi for a while and reading fantasy fiction old mate?

thoughts
Api was pedestrian
Will_am_I_me was just plain S..T
Green is a nuffy
Brown is Dont know what ppl see in him
Lussick shouldve stayed a Parra
Walker looked lost
Taufua OMG rocks and diamonds more rocks last night

Jake was Awesome

I'm not getting carried away by the final score line.
Poor handling gifted 22 points to the opposition, better completion's and cleaning up in goal and it's a different ball game.
Green, Leary and brown out for Lawrence, starling and Mateo.
And adding snake for Williams, that's a full strength side imho.

Ok so the season has begun.
Game1-
We looked flat tonight and there is no spark.
Way too many errors and way too many penalties for both teams.
Not going to place blame , just observations.
Parcel is our first choice #9. Needs to be encouraged to boss the attack but.
Green could be ok but we need Symonds or Mateo as the are experienced as MANLY players.
Williame=not first grade yet. What a crap winning record, poor guy.
Quite impressed with Walker actually. He showed all the skills but isn't used to the 5/8 role in first grade so I think the future is bright with him.
Need either Lawrence or starling or both in the side as they have experience playing for us.
When Stewart is back our attack will be sharper, and buhuer will give us more zip in the forwards.
Conclusion-
Our attack lacked cohesion, direction and spark.
Errors, errors, errors! It's not how many but when they occur and they all occurred at the bestomenta for the opposition to capitalise.
Overall it looks like a work in progress which is fine but it can't be that way for too long.
So let's all be positive, hold hands, and sing Kum Ba Yah
I think we played well for our 1st game as a team against an experienced team & coach like Des and the puppies! but I do think we need to work on some things if we want to play September football!

1. Never play Williame again, even if we need to play 1 player down
2. Give Kapow the ball on the run! So much more devastating than when he recovers it flat footed
3. TB needs to trust in Tom T & Parcell, both held their own against a good team
4. Cherry needs to take control & leave Dwalkz to find himself as a playmaker
5. When in doubt give Lyon the ball early

For the people saying its a rebuilding year I don't believe it! We recruited well and once we start clicking we will be devastating! The premiership is not determined in round 1!

All good points above. Only early days. As the season rolls on trent will find the best 17. Still early days. Still some positives from last night. All of their points came from manly errors. Not cleaning up in goal twice!! Dropping ball on own goal line numerous times and jamie running in 15m was a brain snap.

Exactly.

What was pathetic in my eyes..........

Green 80 minutes.. 5 hit ups and 38 metres. 27 tackles.
Brown 80 minutes.. 7 hit ups and 54 metres. 41 tackles.
41 tackles is not involving themselves? Yes more runs / metres is important, but he seemed more enthusiastic than most defensively.

Now the emotion has died down a bit.....

Tom Trbojevic - One of our best. We all know his talent, but there is no substitute for experience. In that regard, as good as Tommy was, we missed Snake tonight.

Jorge Taufua - Ran hard but made some simple errors which proved costly. Pulled our only try out of nothing.

Jamie Lyon - Quiet game from the skipper. Still doesn't seem to have confidence of those inside him and comes in leaving the winger in no-mans-land. That conversion was sweet though.

Steve Matai - On report for nothing really, but his record will probably hurt him. Had a mixed night really.

Brayden Wiliame - Same old same old from Wiliame unfortunately.

Dylan Walker - There are good signs there and he surprised me with a decent kicking game close to the line. Obviously a work in progress at 5/8.

Daly Cherry-Evans - Still seemingly down on form from last year, but then like last year he didn't have much room to work in tonight. Needs to demand the ball in our attacking half more often. Long kicking game was off, as shown by failing to find touch from a penalty.

Jake Trbojevic - Clearly our best tonight. Ran hard all night and was faultless in defense (zero missed tackles).

Api Koroisau - Went ok and defended ok (39 tackles, 4 missed), but I felt that Parcell offered more in attack. Still, it was his first game of the year.

Nate Myles - Solid without being spectacular. Needs to run onto the ball and not receive it flat footed.

Lewis Brown - Can't fault his effort, but his air swing not only stopped Tommy cleaning up, but allowed Hopoate to score. Can't help but think he's better suited to a bench utility role than a starter.

Nathan Green - Spent most of the night hiding out in the three-quarters. Not good for a second rower playing 80 minutes. About the only time he was spotted all night was when Kasiano crashed through him to score.

Martin Taupau - Made 41 tackles which I think blunted his stamina and thus his running. Could be in trouble because of that shoulder charge.

Matt Parcell - Hindsight says he probably should have started the game. Not that Api was bad, but Matty sparked our attack when he came on.

Blake Leary - Played very well in limited minutes. Probably should have started instead of Green.

Darcy Lussick - Like Nate Myles, solid without the spectacular. Needs to throw his weight around a bit by running and tackling hard.

Siosaia Vave - Offered next to nothing. How did he get a start over BJ, Starling or T-Red?
I thought marty had a dolid game. He did so much work in the middle in defense and cleaning up missed tackles. He is a big worker but we need others like myles and brown to get in and do more tackling so marty can be fresh to run at full tilt when we get up close to an opponents try line. Think buhrer will help out when he returns and lawrence is a hard worker. Lussick is too lazy and green got tired

I didn't get to watch due to being out. Probably a good thing as it sounds like it was pretty bad.
Tbh I had a gut feeling this would happen.
Too much hype surrounding these boys who have not become a team yet.
Hopefully it won't take too long but it was never going to happen that our new team would be a finely tuned machine in round 1. It will take time.
The cows lost 3 in a row first up last year and their fourth by one point. Now they're Premiers.
Not saying we can win it this year. Who knows, we may become real contenders.
I'm happy that some of the early hype can settle down and hope that the team learns plenty from the loss and starts digging deep to improve, eventually leading to solid combinations and a high performing team.

Ands it's easy to dumb it down when you're the Dogs, you've had players playing together for three plus seasons together. And add Hoppa who just found 2011 form and hunger.
Exactly. It was a matter of one team knowing each other well and the other team having nearly all their forwards new. Once we start playing together more regularly and know each other's strengths we will start to jell better. Just be patient.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6