Thoughts from Cowboys match

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

johnperi01

Reserve Grader
I just watched the replay of the match and aside from the DCE stuff up which ended up costing us the game, I thought he had one of his better games.
Manly was by far the better team overall, and if the bunker did their job, there would never have been a grandstand finish. How do you get the benefit of the ball travelling 10 metres, when you are called offside by the ref and then confirmed by the bunker?
TBH, we looked more like the team running 3rd and the Cowboys 9th.
I have been critical of our play this year, but we have been robbed against 2 of the top teams in the last month. Given the tight nature of positions 7 and 8, it is likely we won’t make the semis now because of those crucial 4 points.
Last year we we’re everyone’s 2nd team, but without Turbo, the NRL is not interested in us making the 8, and is giving teams like Parra and the Cowboys every opportunity.
I have stopped watching the games live now after the Parra debacle, because it is too stressful watching our victories stolen from us.
I acknowledge we were never going to win the comp this year, but it would still be good to make the semis and give the younger players a taste of big time football.

I just watched the replay of the match and aside from the DCE stuff up which ended up costing us the game, I thought he had one of his better games.
Manly was by far the better team overall, and if the bunker did their job, there would never have been a grandstand finish. How do you get the benefit of the ball travelling 10 metres, when you are called offside by the ref and then confirmed by the bunker?
TBH, we looked more like the team running 3rd and the Cowboys 9th.
I have been critical of our play this year, but we have been robbed against 2 of the top teams in the last month. Given the tight nature of positions 7 and 8, it is likely we won’t make the semis now because of those crucial 4 points.
Last year we we’re everyone’s 2nd team, but without Turbo, the NRL is not interested in us making the 8, and is giving teams like Parra and the Cowboys every opportunity.
I have stopped watching the games live now after the Parra debacle, because it is too stressful watching our victories stolen from us.
I acknowledge we were never going to win the comp this year, but it would still be good to make the semis and give the younger players a taste of big time football.
We are still very much a chance of playing in the semis this year, win 5 of our last 9 and we should scrap in on 26 points, play like we did against the slime and the cows and we should achieve that off the back of a pretty favourable draw, all we need is the boys to adopt that us against the world mentality, back to everyone hates Manly, go out and stick it to the lot of them, where not done with yet.

The cows game was by far our best performance of 2022. Well for 70 mins.

In truth the last 5-10 mins of every half is a concern in 22 Fitness, just mental weakness at times.

Don't give up just because Turbos out though.

Garrick went fine against the cows. We ain't loosing games because of our fullback.

Just may be not having the games best player out on the field, forces this team to be more than a one man band.

We beat ourselves more so then the Cows beat us.

We just need to fix us and this team can can cause some damage in 22 yet.

Garrick went fine against the cows. We ain't loosing games because of our fullback.

Just may be not having the games best player out on the field, forces this team to be more than a one man band.
This isn’t meant to be a slight on Turbo - he’s clearly a gun and I can’t wait to see him back on the field - but in 22 we have actually played better without him than with him imo.

I was out and recorded it but just can't bring myself to even watch the first 70 minutes knowing what transpired in the last 10.

I'm not in the habit of bagging DCE but you'd think icing a game would be something that a veteran captain and halfback would take on. Sometimes he just frustrates the crap out of me. If anyone can explain why he felt the need to crab across field and get caught as he tried to pass, I'd love to hear it. We were in front. We didn't need to score. All we needed were repeat sets and yet....brain snap.

The cows game was by far our best performance of 2022. Well for 70 mins.

In truth the last 5-10 mins of every half is a concern in 22 Fitness, just mental weakness at times.

Don't give up just because Turbos out though.

We beat ourselves more so then the Cows beat us.

We just need to fix us and this team can can cause some damage in 22 yet.
Actually, I’m beginning to argue that we ARE losing games because of Turbo. Basically, because he ain’t on the field and chewing up huge cap space that could be spent more frugally to strengthen weaknesses in the team. No personal blight on Turbo.

This isn’t meant to be a slight on Turbo - he’s clearly a gun and I can’t wait to see him back on the field - but in 22 we have actually played better without him than with him imo.
If we could play like this with Turbo on the field we'd be top 4 without a doubt imo, too many of them clock off when Turbo is out there expecting him to create the opportunities

How many years has Turbo been with us? How many of those years have we looked a genuine threat? How many of those years has his injuries derailed out season?

Last edited:
A fit, full strength, mentally strong Manly is right up there with Panthers & Storm in 2022. In brackets 2023.......
Tom
Saab (Vaega)
Koula
Tuipulotu
Garrick
Foran (Schuster)
DCE
Aloiai
Croker (Fainu)
Sipley
Ola'kauatu
Schuster (Tuilagi)
Jake
Res: Walker (Croker), Paseka, Marty (Bullemore), Keppie

That team is good enough to beat any team!

How many years has Turbo been with us? How many of those years have we looked a genuine threat? How many of those years has his injuries detailed out season?
He has only averaged 16 games per season since his FG debut in 2015. Even if you took out 2015’s nine appearances when he was flitting between the lower grades and firsts, he has still averaged only 17 games per year.

Purely theoretical, however if he was being paid commensurate with games played for Manly, he should be on about $350k less per year than he is now.

A fit, full strength, mentally strong Manly is right up there with Panthers & Storm in 2022. In brackets 2023.......
Tom
Saab (Vaega)
Koula
Tuipulotu
Garrick
Foran (Schuster)
DCE
Aloiai
Croker (Fainu)
Sipley
Ola'kauatu
Schuster (Tuilagi)
Jake
Res: Walker (Croker), Paseka, Marty (Bullemore), Keppie

That team is good enough to beat any team!
Won't compete week in week out with those centres and one winger in particular.

We are still very much a chance of playing in the semis this year, win 5 of our last 9 and we should scrap in on 26 points, play like we did against the slime and the cows and we should achieve that off the back of a pretty favourable draw, all we need is the boys to adopt that us against the world mentality, back to everyone hates Manly, go out and stick it to the lot of them, where not done with yet.
I 'd be more inclined to suggest 6 out of 9 wins for better semi prospects but if not able to get the better of the Storm then a bit more problematic . Not sure of Souths , Dragons, Roosters or Raiders for that matter remaining draw but obviously still have to play the Dragons , . that could be a defining game as well . Maybe Manly is due for some better fortune , somehow find a way to beat the Storm [ can be a funny game sometime] then the bye , then more then within reach for a final 's spot . Just adds to the frustration again that compared to some of the sides currently in the top 8 . Manly are more then comparable but guess that the same analogy can be applied to say the Roosters as well . As others have mentioned , really just a week by week proposition now , team just has to be up for every remaining game as they were against the Cows but finish just as purposeful as they started against the Cows for instance .

If we make the 8 i will be really stoked , taking into account some of the adversity and garbage from the match officials Manly have had to contend with this season . Team has already shown they can match it with the likes of Eels and Cows, commendable efforts against Souths and eventually the Sharks . A few really poor efforts and would still do it tough against the Panthers and maybe the Storm but if playing well enough at the end to make the play offs and in good enough shape , could still be competitive

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4