Thomson: My grand plan

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c_eagle

Reserve Grader
27/7/2003
By ADAM HAWSE

MANLY chairman Ian Thomson has outlined plans that the club believes will see the Sea Eagles as a premiership force by 2005.

Called the "Four Pillars of Success", it involves strengthening the football team, club finances, community involvement and the marketing of the Sea Eagles brand.

Thomson, angry at constant criticism from sections of the media that he is presiding over a bungling outfit, wants Manly fans to know the club is moving forward.

"The strategic plan we have in place is aimed at getting us back to being a rugby league power by 2005," said Thomson.

"Our plan we delivered to the football club members and sponsors is to be in a position to actually spend the entire salary cap next year.

"Once you start to spend the actual salary cap, then you should be able to put together a team that can make the eight.

"Once you make the eight in this competition, anyone is capable of winning it.

"That's the start. We don't want to be a flash in the pan.

"We want to build sustained success."

By the end of the third year of the plan, in '05, Manly expect to:

• Have the financial power to fill the $3.25m salary cap.

• Be a top-four team.

• Have the best community relations recognised by awards.

• Have the most powerful brand in the NRL and provide the most unique entertainment package on the peninsula.

By that stage the club will also have paid the 12 former Northern Eagles players — who were left out of pocket when the joint venture collapsed — their full entitlements.

Thomson knows fans are running out of patience with the former glamour club. "I understand their impatience," he said.

"The history of this club is dotted with successes.

"But the game has changed and there's a thing in place called the salary cap.

"When Manly last won the competition in 1996, I think there were 14 international players in that team, plus three Origin players.

"You can't build a team like that anymore and even if you could, you can't retain it because of the salary cap.

"The game has changed enormously and there has to be an acceptance by fans that you have to build a team for success.

"It's virtually impossible to buy in success for the short term. It's imperative Manly return as a force."

The Sea Eagles expect early this week to name Des Hasler as the team's coach for 2004.

Does anyone remember the plan in late 02 or early 03 to tie up Manly's "Magnificant Seven"

In Sam Murphy, Tony Jenson, Chad Randall, Jason King, Anthony Watmough, Aaron Cannings and Luke Dorn

geez didn't we dodge a bullet by not signing some of those guys up long term

jesus, how about that report!!! Nostra Bloody darmus or what!

could it be more accurate,,,, can someone do us a favour and get him to write one for 2006 and 2007!!!!

Does anyone remember the plan in late 02 or early 03 to tie up Manly's \"Magnificant Seven\"

In Sam Murphy, Tony Jenson, Chad Randall, Jason King, Anthony Watmough, Aaron Cannings and Luke Dorn

geez didn't we dodge a bullet by not signing some of those guys up long term

The most hilarious thing was reading articles from around July-August 03. Monaghan's signing was relegated to a few lines at the end of articles talking about the huge coup that the Ian Donelly signing was. I remember one Zorba article, "Melbourne had hand picked Ian Donelly to be the replacement for Robbie Kearns."

Well, Melbourne got Ian in the end and he can't even get into first grade. Meanwhile, Monaghan is on the Dally M shortlist.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2