Thompson on racism

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

MuzztheEagle

Bencher
I've been really impressed by Thompson's comments off the field, especially since he arrived at Manly and this has been the best response to the GI/Penrith incident I have seen:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/9153d2354b783ee45a3eadbd60415ce9
Let's hope the NRL (for once) sees its role and responsibility in communities and looks to educate fans rather than responding with populist knee jerk reactions that don't benefit anyone.

I've been really impressed by Thompson's comments off the field, especially since he arrived at Manly and this has been the best response to the GI/Penrith incident I have seen:
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/9153d2354b783ee45a3eadbd60415ce9
Let's hope the NRL (for once) sees its role and responsibility in communities and looks to educate fans rather than responding with populist knee jerk reactions that don't benefit anyone.
Is there any chance to post article?

Manly forward Joel Thompson wants to take the two supporters sanctioned for abusing South Sydney Greg Inglis to an indigenous community.

He wants to give them some semblance of understanding of why their comments cut not just Inglis so deeply, but every indigenous footballer in the NRL.

He wants to make sure their abuse — Inglis was allegedly called a black dog while leaving the field over a week ago at Panthers Stadium — ends with them, and doesn’t become a generational problem for their children and their children’s children.

He says enlightenment rather than retribution is the key. “For those two guys, it’s disgraceful but I hope they get some education,” Thompson said. “I will take them out to do some community stuff with them. That would open their eyes up. It’s more ignorance and no education.

“It’s probably what they have been taught and the environment they have been in.

“I’m sure if they go out and learn about the (indigenous) culture, learn about the history behind it, I’m sure that will change their opinion.

“Hopefully that would be a ripple effect down to their kids, and then so on and so on.

“I was angry at the start but I just feel sorry for them now. Hopefully some education will mean they can put their hand up and say how bad it was. Try and improve what they did.

“(Former indigenous players) George Rose or Dean Widders, any of those blokes who work at the NRL, maybe take them out and do some camps. Do something with them.

“Give them some cultural training. Give them a chance to say sorry and learn.”

The two offenders were issued with breach notices earlier this week after an investigation involving the NRL, security officers and police. They are facing significant sanctions, although they will be given the opportunity to defend themselves.

Many want life bans to be brought against the pair responsible for comments which outraged rugby league fans across the game, regardless of their background.

Thompson would rather see them rehabilitated, just like so many players who do the wrong thing but then get an opportunity to prove they have changed their ways. “If they want to rehabilitate and they won’t do it again, do some volunteer stuff and still be involved in the game, I’m all for it (a lighter penalty),” Thompson said. “They stuffed up, everyone stuffs up. I’m a big believer in second chances. It’s absolutely disgraceful what happened but it would be good for them to go out and meet some people. Get some education around why what they said was wrong — change their opinions.

“I know ‘GI’ would have some good support around him. It’s not good what happened.

“The NRL is perfect for rehabilitation. Look at some of the cases there. It’s not just for players but fans as well.”

Meanwhile, Todd Carney is expected to hold further talks with the NRL integrity unit today as he edges towards a comeback with North Queensland.

Carney’s meeting with the integrity unit is a forerunner to talks with NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg, who has made it known he wants a face-to-face meeting with Carney before he will consider registering a contract for the former Canberra, Cronulla and Sydney Roosters bad boy.

Carney has spent recent years playing in Super League, having left the NRL following the infamous ‘bubbler’ incident but has an offer on the table from the Cowboys for this season.

He needs the NRL to rubberstamp his return before he can accept the deal.

Great bloke. Buys into our culture so quickly and he just continues to do all of this work for many communities. What a great character to have in our team! Keep it up Joel. Manly loves having you around.

Combine this with some of his other work (Mardi Gras as an example) and he continues to come across as an impressive human

Quickly becoming a favourite is Joel. Sharing the same name kind of helps too. Good read, such a shame that we still have this in society. I guess it will be always there, but i love his idea to re educate.

Quickly becoming a favourite is Joel. Sharing the same name kind of helps too. Good read, such a shame that we still have this in society. I guess it will be always there, but i love his idea to re educate.
Easy to see why the St Merge fans hated to see him go.

In my usual myopic Manly way, I had no idea who Joel Thompson was until he was a rumoured signing then I got reading. Everything I read about his off field stuff was dead impressive. He seems like he's lived it and learnt it.
What he says in the article about the next generation is so true. I'll never forget being at a Swans game (probably late 90s) when a guy in front of us kept yelling out the most racist stuff. The second worst thing about it was that his two young boys clearly idolised him and were so proud of every bit of hatred their old man spouted. The worst thing was that I said nothing.
Fast forward about 15 years and we're at a Manly game at Gosford. I hear the exact words yelled out that were yelled at Inglis a couple of seats up from me. I look up the row, the guy is with his wife and their two young boys, and he's wearing a Manly jumper! This time I don't stay silent and it was very simple. I said in a very calm voice "Hey mate," I pointed to my Manly jumper and continued "we don't do that stuff", and turned back to the game. He was quiet for the rest of the day.
Maybe I was lucky he didn't have a go at me but we shouldn't just leave it up to the indigenous people to speak out.
Joel could not be more right about cutting it off at the current generation.

Sounds like Joel is just the moral compass the young Islander kids at Manly need.:)

I never understood the colour, gender or sexual orientation divide.
If your born with it, why do people blame you :confused:

GI's diving antics are open season however >:)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8