This is the good stuff Manly - Old boys unite !

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member

How cool that the Manly club has taken a direction bringing old legends back to mix with Todays team in 2023....​

This is a great move that has been missing along with many other great concepts from the club.​

I say a Massive congrats to the Manly club building together and this type of thing is what bonds players and helps the team understand the Manly culture !!

Former props reunite at Golden Eagles Barbecue​

AuthorWayne CousinsTimestampFri 24 Mar 2023, 01:01 PM

Share on social media​

It was an old front-rowers reunion at Manly Sea Eagles training today as part of the second Golden Eagles Barbecue.
The concept of the Golden Eagles Barbecue is to invite some former players from different positions to join the current Manly players and coaching staff for lunch the day before a game as part of the Sea Eagles Legacy Group through our Eagle Hearts program.
The inaugural lunch saw former full-backs Mike Eden, Shannon Nevin, Andrew King, and Brett Stewart attend the day before the round one win over the Bulldogs.
At today’s luncheon, former Manly players Peter Peters, Ian Thomson, Tony Mestrov, David Gillespie, Solomon Haumono, Mark Bryant, Jason King and Josh Starling attended. A number of ex-players were unable to make it due to work/travel commitments.

Our Props of Yesteryear​

Peter Peters #195​

Peters played 73 first grade games for the Sea Eagles after making his club debut in 1969.
A prop/second-rower, Peters played in Manly's 1973 premiership winning team alongside great mate and club Immortal, Bob Fulton. He was nick-named 'Zorba' for his Greek ancestry.
Flashback.....Peter Peters (far right)  sits next to his great mate Bob Fulton  in the 1973 Grand Final team photo
Flashback.....Peter Peters (far right) sits next to his great mate Bob Fulton in the 1973 Grand Final team photo©NRL Photos
Following his playing says, Peters became a rugby league journalist and football commentator with former referee Greg Hartley on the popular 'Hollywood and Zorba' show.
He later became a long serving Media Manager at Manly before retiring. 'Zorba' still does a rugby league segment on Sky Racing's 'Big Sports Weekend' show each Sunday.
Ian Thomson #254
A member of the 1978 premiership winning team that beat Cronulla in the famous 16-0 Grand Final Replay, Thomson played 113 games for the Sea Eagles after making his debut in 1977.
Thomson also represented NSW and played three Tests for Australia.
Ian Thomson
Ian Thomson©NRL Photos
In 1999, Thomson was chairman of the now defunct Northern Eagles NRL Club before serving as Manly CEO from 1999 to November 2003.
Thomson also served as Manly Leagues Club Chairman for six years from 2013-2019. Today, Thomson is the CEO of Forestville RSL Club.
Tony Mestrov #372
Mestrov played 17 first grade games for Manly in 1990 and 1992 before joining South Sydney for two years. He then enjoyed a successful playing career in the English Super League.
Tony Mestrov
Tony Mestrov
Today, Mestrov is the current Sea Eagles CEO. He is highly regarded as one of the strongest sports administrators in the country, having been the CEO of Greyhounds NSW for five years before starting at Manly late last year.
Ian Thomson (left)  and Jason King enjoy a laugh at the Golden Eagles Barbecue today
Ian Thomson (left) and Jason King enjoy a laugh at the Golden Eagles Barbecue today©Alfred Naupoto
David Gillespie #402
Nick-named ‘Cement’ for his bone crunching defence, Gillespie was a member of the 1996 Sea Eagles premiership winning team under Coach Bob Fulton.
David Gillespie
David Gillespie©NRL Photos
He played 92 first grade games for Manly, forming a great partnership with fellow hard hitting prop, Mark Carroll.
Gillespie has spent the past 20 years working on the wharfs and is currently employed by DP World Logistics company.
Solomon Haumono #406
A devastating back-rower, Haumono played 76 games for Manly from 1994-96 and in 2003-04.
A fan favourite, Haumono pulled off some of the biggest hits of the 90s and played in Manly’s 1995 Grand Final loss to Canterbury. He missed out on playing in the 1996 Grand Final win over St George.
Solomon Haumono
Solomon Haumono©NRL Photos
He later went on to become a heavyweight boxing champion.
Haumono and his wife, Margaret run the successful Redfern Youth Connect, which they co-founded over 10 years ago.
Jason King #454
A popular and respected clubman, King played 239 games for the Sea Eagles after making his first-grade debut in 2001.
He won premierships with Manly in 2008 and 2011, represented NSW in 2010-11, and was named the Dally M Captain of the Year in 2012.
Jason King
Jason King©NRL Photos
A Life Member of the Manly Warringah Sea Eagles Football Club, ‘Kingy’ was the Rugby League Players' Association Clubman of the Year in 2008.
King has spent the past eight years working at the NRL where he currently holds the role of Head of Integrity.
Mark Bryant #501
The chairman of the Golden Eagles, Bryant played in the historic 40-0 premiership winning victory in 2008 against the Melbourne Storm.
Bryant played 93 first grade games for Manly.
Mark Bryant
Mark Bryant©NRL Photos
A successful real estate agent on Sydney’s Northern Beaches, ‘Boxy’ remains heavily involved with the Sea Eagles through his dedicated work in organising social events and reunions for former players and officials through the Golden Eagles Club.
Josh Starling #561
An old school front-rower and respected clubman, Starling played 60 first grade games for Manly from 2014- 16 during a tough period for the club.
Today, Starling is a Youth Worker. He also coaches his son's U15s rugby league team in Kiama.

This is a fantastic story, and there needs to be more of it.

I wonder if Seibold is involved and learned from the absolute debacle at the Broncs over the last couple of years where they alienated former players to the point a lot of them just washed their hands of the club.

Love love love seeing this kind of thing!

Unfortunately Igor has lingering issues with the club and refuses to attend any functions.
Do you know what these issues are related to? 😕
My understanding is they stretch back to the days when Igor was on the Board. I believe that it revolves around his son Chad's sacking and the way it was handled by club legend Bozo. When it came time for the club to inform Bozo that his son was no longer of First Grade standard then Igor was only too happy to reciprocate. There has been bad blood ever since, and it was not helped by the club parting ways with Chad as assistant coach this year.
Frankly, I think for the sake of Igor that holding such a long-term grudge is unhealthy, to say the least. I know he would be welcome at any club-related activity.

Unfortunately Igor has lingering issues with the club and refuses to attend any functions.

My understanding is they stretch back to the days when Igor was on the Board. I believe that it revolves around his son Chad's sacking and the way it was handled by club legend Bozo. When it came time for the club to inform Bozo that his son was no longer of First Grade standard then Igor was only too happy to reciprocate. There has been bad blood ever since, and it was not helped by the club parting ways with Chad as assistant coach this year.
Frankly, I think for the sake of Igor that holding such a long-term grudge is unhealthy, to say the least. I know he would be welcome at any club-related activity.
Damn, thanks for the info. So this goes all the way back to 2005? If any bad blood was still present when Chad was working with Des, likely it’s opened up old wounds with his latest sacking. I agree - these grudges are not healthy. I hate reading these things when club legends opt out of these events. Matai is another more recent example. I liked Chad as a player but with the Orford signing and Monas moving to hooker with Dunley as the better backup, the club had no choice but to move him on when they did.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4