This is how bad the refereeing is

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Also, the reason I went to look at the rules book was because Wendell raised the point that Souths's should have been penalised for their last kickoff that they ultimately regathered and scored the winner.

Well, bugger me if he isn't right

Offences incurring penalties - kicker
6. A player who kicks off or drops-out shall be penalised if he:– (a) advances in front of the appropriate line before kicking the ball.

Reynolds did that but the refs don't even know the rules so nothing to see here.

So the head of referees Annesley said today that he is unsure if the refs got the call right on Rogers last pass that was ruled forward. Well the refs made a decision that he doesn’t know if it was the right one ?

This is in the notes of the ARL rule book ( that the NRL use )

Section 10 - Forward Pass

Direction of Pass 1. The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player makes a high, lobbed pass.

Correct ... Which is why watching the hands of a passer is important ....

What makes me grateful that none of these muppets commentating were ever my Physics teachers is when a paymaker is running across field (or even standing still) ... and they say the ball floated forward ... FMD they are Punchies ...

Also, the reason I went to look at the rules book was because Wendell raised the point that Souths's should have been penalised for their last kickoff that they ultimately regathered and scored the winner.

Well, bugger me if he isn't right

Offences incurring penalties - kicker
6. A player who kicks off or drops-out shall be penalised if he:– (a) advances in front of the appropriate line before kicking the ball.

Reynolds did that but the refs don't even know the rules so nothing to see here.

They did a crack down on that one a few years back. The usual suspects complained but the nrl was "It's a line on the ground, kick behind it FFS!" And that brought most in line.

Voss is right when he says the refs and the nrl want some things to be inch perfect, but when a penalty is given they allow the player kicking for touch to run forward about 2 or more metres off the penalty spot without worrying about it.

This is in the notes of the ARL rule book ( that the NRL use )

Section 10 - Forward Pass

Direction of Pass 1. The direction of a pass is relative to the player making it and not to the actual path relative to the ground. A player running towards his opponents’ goal line may throw the ball towards a colleague who is behind him but because of the thrower’s own momentum the ball travels forward relative to the ground. This is not a forward pass as the thrower has not passed the ball forward in relation to himself. This is particularly noticeable when a running player makes a high, lobbed pass.

Correct T Shek's pass was not forward

Maybe it time for more technology to adjudicate what direction the player passing the ball's hands move .... overhead drone footage ???
... I'm an old bastard but some of you smart young techies might know how this could be accurately achieved

I maintain that all referees are biased, some unintentionally, because they grew up playing and supporting RL in a particular area, ergo a particular team. As impartial as you try to be your inbuilt default psychology will always favour the club you grew up supporting.
That's why I tried to investigate the backgrounds of the two refs who got dropped for their biased performance against the Worriers against Doesn'tmatta - Chris Sutton and Chris Buttler. I found nothing recorded about where they grew up or where they started their refereeing career. Strange. Why are their early lives not recorded. Is the NRL trying to hide something?
However, I did find out that Ashley Klein and Graham Annasley were both Parramatta Junior referees . . . Ummn
I'm just wondering if any of you know the junior refereeing associations of the current crop of whistle blowers?
I think it would be a good indication of why certain clubs receive more penalties than their opponents.
As the season wears on the importance of penalties in RL is growing out of all proportion. The NRL must reduce the advantage a penalty provides. So many penalties are wrong yet the consequences are dire.
So, no extra kick for touch; just another set of six tackles from the infringement. If a team systematically gives away penalties then the ref has the power to invoke the sin bin.

As the season wears on the importance of penalties in RL is growing out of all proportion. The NRL must reduce the advantage a penalty provides. So many penalties are wrong yet the consequences are dire.
True enough, but hasn't it ever been thus?
Surely you remember the old scrum penalty rort? No-one at the ground had any idea what the penalties were for so they could pretty much penalise at will!!

Not sure why the NRL are taking such action after the Parra / Warriors game.

They must have missed our game vs Souths a few weeks ago.

Both games are great examples of only 1 side being refereed.

Maybe 1 in 20 RL supporters like Manly. Makes sense that the about the same average of match officials do.

It's always been that way in my living memory.

They talkin bout the refs on 360 now. And they keep showing the storms forward pass againts us. Fair dinkum. They not talkin bout it,just showing it. Fmd.

I maintain that all referees are biased, some unintentionally, because they grew up playing and supporting RL in a particular area, ergo a particular team. As impartial as you try to be your inbuilt default psychology will always favour the club you grew up supporting.
That's why I tried to investigate the backgrounds of the two refs who got dropped for their biased performance against the Worriers against Doesn'tmatta - Chris Sutton and Chris Buttler. I found nothing recorded about where they grew up or where they started their refereeing career. Strange. Why are their early lives not recorded. Is the NRL trying to hide something?

@Mark from Brisbane was around the Sutton cartel when they were growing up. He has an opinion on the cartel from way back then.

Edit, you have to click on the maroon below to reveal the spoiler ffs, Luddites!

They were assholes then, and bigger ones now.

Last edited:
However, I did find out that Ashley Klein and Graham Annasley were both Parramatta Junior referees . . . Ummn
I'm just wondering if any of you know the junior refereeing associations of the current crop of whistle blowers?
I think it would be a good indication of why certain clubs receive more penalties than their opponents.
So, no extra kick for touch; just another set of six tackles from the infringement. If a team systematically gives away penalties then the ref has the power to invoke the sin bin.
G'day all,I can tell you that Horsehead reffed in the Cronulla Junior League and was always a show pony. I umpired him at cricket one day and it was hilarious to listen to his teammates giving it to him as he ponced about.
cheers mike

Well, last year all the refs missed an obvious penalty in the Rams v Saints game. Just a terrible call, and now there's a lawsuit against them.

Go for it warriors!!!!

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/07/29/Roger-Goodell-three-officials-NFC-title-no-call-rams-saints

NEW ORLEANS — A Louisiana judge ordered that NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and three officials from January's NFC title game be questioned under oath in September about the infamous "no-call" that helped the Los Angeles Rams beat the New Orleans Saints in January's NFC title game, a lawyer said Monday.

LeMon's lawsuit seeks $75,000 in damages—to be donated to charity—over the failure to flag a pass interference or roughness penalty against Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman for his helmet-to-helmet hit on receiver Tommylee Lewis well before a pass arrived. The no-call came at a crucial point in the game against the New Orleans Saints. The Rams won and advanced to the Super Bowl.

Other suits dealing with the blown call have wound up in federal court, where they have failed.

LeMon, whose lawsuit alleges fraud by NFL officials, has crafted his lawsuit to avoid having it taken over by a federal court, in part by keeping the damages sought low.

I watched this match.

The refs cheated, its that simple.

I have said it before and will say it again.

Its in everyone's best interests if Parramatta play finals footy, and not just for 1 week, at least 2 and 3 if possible.

That great new stadium, the model coach and the people from west must have a team.

See for yourselves in round 26.
I also watched that game it was clear cut cheating no question. All four refs from that game have been dropped and the TAB refunded 44k so.. it was too obvious they just let things go and manipulated the game so the eels would win simple as that! The warriors deserved that win they earnt it... even gutho said they didn't deserve to win. 2 times the warriors player stripped the ball and it was legal only for the ref to penalize them. Then the eels strip the ball with 3 in the tackle and all good. A blatant knock on from parry just let got. Sheck beautiful pass to seal the game called forward BS! Only 2 penalties given to the warriors all game. Pure cheating like us against souffs.. oh and the 2013 gf

Annesley has demoted the four on-field officials from the Worriers V Doesn'tmatta match. He's virtually conceded that there were major errors made, almost all of which disadvantaged the Worriers.
However, no 'journalist' asked: How can a referee have such a lopsided penalty count (9-2) against a team?
If this match wasn't a FIX then I haven't seen one that was.
Funny isnt it.. they will get dropped then be back next week or the one after just to do it again. That was a fix for sure i watched it in disbelief

We have to stop blaming the refs themselves. The NRL has consistently tinkered with the rules and have even introduced a sub rule called the interpretation of the rule. This interpretation can be circumvented by the original rule but not in the same movement . Thats the consistency we at the NRL strive for.

The interpretation sub rule is there so the NRL can sprinkle its fairness regieme , when they believe there consistency is not in line with the desired outcome.

The interpretations , and indeed the interpreters, can be satisfied with either fairness or consistency on any given day. But for the good of the game we must never allow fairness and consistency , or the interpretaion of either, to Coexist

Greenberg is a control freak and intervenes on all levels but conveniently stays clear of the refs except when he needs the interpreterers to reinterprete one of the original interpretations in the name of fairness for one night only. But he steers clear of this mess almost like its set up to fail . There autonomy before being sacrificed ( ref bosses ) just seems too perfect. I wonder who next years sacrifice i mean appointment will be.

Rule confusion is so must easier to justify than incompetence or worse

Spot on James. The two Rugby codes have more problems regarding refereeing than any other sport I can think of. And the reason, I believe is because through some very poor decision making over decades, the administration of the game has allowed far too many discretionary rules to creep into the game. The game should be made a simple as possible and arbitrary decisions should be taken out of the hands of the refs as much as possible.

Part of the problem is that the technology of the game and the televising of it has gone leaps ahead of how the game is to be adjudicated. We see errors in these adjudications not occasionally, but consistently. It also leaves open the issue of bias, whether subliminal or a conscious act by those refereeing. Technology should be assessing issues far more than they do and taking the issue out of the hands of people making these discretionary decisions. One thing that has been the worst decision made by this Administration has been the two referee system. Madness. Because of the discretionary range allowed to referees, different individuals interpret the rules differently. Confuses the players. Confuses the spectators. I've always maintained that the referee should be responsible for only those matters pertaining to the ball. The side line officials should be responsible for away from the ball issues, including off side play because they have a clear vision across the field, whereas a ref needs 360 vision.

But its in the rules and the way they are administered that we have a problem. There is technology available for example to determine off side passing and take into consideration velocity of the player passing the ball. Refs get this wrong consistently, not having an understanding of simple physics. There may be a place for touch downs like the American system where as long as the ball crosses the try line, even held up, its a try. That would be far easier to assess than when half a dozen players are all over a player trying to ground the ball. Then there's the shepherding issue. Technology is far more competent at assessing the effect of what appears as shepherding, based on the likelihood of the impeded players chance of stopping the movement.

The problem with this Administration is that it is totally reactive. No imagination at all. They only act, and usually in a knee jerk manner, when something goes wrong and there is an outcry. Otherwise they just sit on their comfortable recliners and accept their undeserved wage packets. Until the game seriously looks at simplification and technology that takes as much discretionary decisions away from the adjudicators as possible, the game will continue to sink into the mire.

Spot on James. The two Rugby codes have more problems regarding refereeing than any other sport I can think of. And the reason, I believe is because through some very poor decision making over decades, the administration of the game has allowed far too many discretionary rules to creep into the game. The game should be made a simple as possible and arbitrary decisions should be taken out of the hands of the refs as much as possible.

Part of the problem is that the technology of the game and the televising of it has gone leaps ahead of how the game is to be adjudicated. We see errors in these adjudications not occasionally, but consistently. It also leaves open the issue of bias, whether subliminal or a conscious act by those refereeing. Technology should be assessing issues far more than they do and taking the issue out of the hands of people making these discretionary decisions. One thing that has been the worst decision made by this Administration has been the two referee system. Madness. Because of the discretionary range allowed to referees, different individuals interpret the rules differently. Confuses the players. Confuses the spectators. I've always maintained that the referee should be responsible for only those matters pertaining to the ball. The side line officials should be responsible for away from the ball issues, including off side play because they have a clear vision across the field, whereas a ref needs 360 vision.

But its in the rules and the way they are administered that we have a problem. There is technology available for example to determine off side passing and take into consideration velocity of the player passing the ball. Refs get this wrong consistently, not having an understanding of simple physics. There may be a place for touch downs like the American system where as long as the ball crosses the try line, even held up, its a try. That would be far easier to assess than when half a dozen players are all over a player trying to ground the ball. Then there's the shepherding issue. Technology is far more competent at assessing the effect of what appears as shepherding, based on the likelihood of the impeded players chance of stopping the movement.

The problem with this Administration is that it is totally reactive. No imagination at all. They only act, and usually in a knee jerk manner, when something goes wrong and there is an outcry. Otherwise they just sit on their comfortable recliners and accept their undeserved wage packets. Until the game seriously looks at simplification and technology that takes as much discretionary decisions away from the adjudicators as possible, the game will continue to sink into the mire.
Technology will never overcome obvious bias. When a penalty count is 9-2 then the ref is only looking at one side.
Most people in the Worriers V Doesn'tmatta match are focusing on the forward pass at the end, but it was very clear throughout the match that the refs wanted a Doesn'tmatta win. Refs can't be that inept. It was a deliberate rort which should be investigated. Because it happened to a NZ team over the NRL darlings from the west it hasn't raised the stink in Sydney that it has caused in NZ. Go on to the Worriers fan site and you'll read how hundreds of people - including the NZ TAB - are certain this match was fixed.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6