This is how bad the refereeing is

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Technology will never overcome obvious bias. When a penalty count is 9-2 then the ref is only looking at one side.
Most people in the Worriers V Doesn'tmatta match are focusing on the forward pass at the end, but it was very clear throughout the match that the refs wanted a Doesn'tmatta win. Refs can't be that inept. It was a deliberate rort which should be investigated. Because it happened to a NZ team over the NRL darlings from the west it hasn't raised the stink in Sydney that it has caused in NZ. Go on to the Worriers fan site and you'll read how hundreds of people - including the NZ TAB - are certain this match was fixed.

So the question is, why are these games with crazily lopsided penalty counts not being investigated. Who makes the decision to investigate match fixing. Why is it never questioned by anyone other than the team getting stiffed

So the question is, why are these games with crazily lopsided penalty counts not being investigated. Who makes the decision to investigate match fixing. Why is it never questioned by anyone other than the team getting stiffed
They should make Toovs head of the commission or whatever department looks into that sort of thing.... we would investigate and expose the corruption! Long live toovs!

Technology will never overcome obvious bias. When a penalty count is 9-2 then the ref is only looking at one side.
Most people in the Worriers V Doesn'tmatta match are focusing on the forward pass at the end, but it was very clear throughout the match that the refs wanted a Doesn'tmatta win. Refs can't be that inept. It was a deliberate rort which should be investigated. Because it happened to a NZ team over the NRL darlings from the west it hasn't raised the stink in Sydney that it has caused in NZ. Go on to the Worriers fan site and you'll read how hundreds of people - including the NZ TAB - are certain this match was fixed.

It is because the refs have discretionary powers that 9-2 penalty counts result. Reduce the discretionary powers and you reduce the chance of Ref bias.

It is because the refs have discretionary powers that 9-2 penalty counts result. Reduce the discretionary powers and you reduce the chance of Ref bias.
You can't have hard-and-fast rules about certain rules, such as 10 metres. Unless, of course, you give each linesman a laser that beams a visible light across the field. Any defender breaking it would be ruled offside.
However, I reckon the penalties would end up close to 100 if that applied.
I'm in favour of a return to one ref and give them the power and confidence to make all calls rather than constant referring to the video ref to protect their ass.
The video ref should be only used if the ref is unsighted, and then determination should be in normal speed only - no stop-frame rulings.
It would help speed up the match as the action would keep moving, and fans would not be kept in suspense after every 'try' waiting for a green/red light.

You can't have hard-and-fast rules about certain rules, such as 10 metres. Unless, of course, you give each linesman a laser that beams a visible light across the field. Any defender breaking it would be ruled offside.
However, I reckon the penalties would end up close to 100 if that applied.
I'm in favour of a return to one ref and give them the power and confidence to make all calls rather than constant referring to the video ref to protect their ass.
The video ref should be only used if the ref is unsighted, and then determination should be in normal speed only - no stop-frame rulings.
It would help speed up the match as the action would keep moving, and fans would not be kept in suspense after every 'try' waiting for a green/red light.

I must say it seems to work ok in the ESL .... I know, I know ... NRL is much faster ... so let it slow down a bit

Those numbers are subjective, when we receive most of our penalties on the first or second tackle and the pet teams get majority of theirs on fourth or fifth tackle, makes a big difference

Those numbers are subjective, when we receive most of our penalties on the first or second tackle and the pet teams get majority of theirs on fourth or fifth tackle, makes a big difference

An imaginary forward pass or lost ball is not counted as a penalty either... It is counted as an error.

Now Bernard Sutton calls bellyache to apologize for the forward pass call (which was correct), in GP time against us, saying it was an incorrect call ... FMD!

Now Bernard Sutton calls bellyache to apologize for the forward pass call (which was correct), in GP time against us, saying it was an incorrect call ... FMD!

Posted the same in the mAnly v storm thread. fmd they are jerks.

What amazes me is that the game continually tweaks and tampers with rules.

I admit as a football fan (the round ball code) apart from the back pass rule the game has pretty much stayed the same over the years without wholesale game altering changes like the 10 mtr rule

Yep it's a little over the top that Melbourne actually get these calls while far more obvious calls are just "It's already done - move on".....I was hoping they would call Bellamy to ask to get his side onside and alos stop illegal tackling....maybe finishing with, you were outplayed and Manly deserved the 2 points.

Refs will get a lot more calls correct if we simply slow the game (read ruck) down.
I believe it really is that simple.

Supersonic ruck speed has many flow-on effects, not many of them positive.

Refs will get a lot more calls correct if we simply slow the game (read ruck) down.
I believe it really is that simple.

Supersonic ruck speed has many flow-on effects, not many of them positive.
Totally agree mave, and said similar in the Does the Game have to be so fast? thread.

Last edited:
... and in another sport: technology has basically reduced the role of umpires in Test cricket to that of a ball-counter.
Anyone who watched the first day's play in the Aus V England Test will have seen how a computer (via ball-tracking, snicko etc.) completely usurped the authority of umpires.
For some reason we have total faith in a computer which can supposedly track the trajectory of a ball (including bounce, sideways movement, pitch conditions etc.) - a system probably developed by some young tech head who has never played the sport. The poor umpire is made to look foolish by trusting his/her eye and dozens of years of experience when making a decision.
This technology, mind you, is only important enough to use at the highest level of the sport. In 99.99% of cricket matches the decision of the umpire is final.
Is this how we want RL to end up? Every decision being questioned? Every match containing doubt as to whether the best team won?
Unless we pull back and revert to the way that all sport was intended: with one 'unbiased' person in charge of decision making, then we have entered the era of video games replacing true sporting matches.
I'm pleased I'm old enough to remember sporting contests pre-computer interference.

Staff online

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8