This a great Idea I wonder who will be the first NRL club

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Cameron

Make Manly Great Again #Hasler2019
Watching Leeds vs Hull on fox noticed a few players have the twitter name on the back of their jerseys.

Then found this article.
http://www.rleague.com/content/article.php?id=44477

Back to rleague.com      Press Release
Twitter first for Rhinos
   [source: www.therhinos.co.uk] on Wednesday 4 Jul 2012 23:52

#rugbyleague #superleague #Leeds have announced that they will be the first rugby team in the world to include players Twitter handles on the back of their shirts for this Friday's Super League clash against Hull FC at Headingley Carnegie.

For one game only, players in the squad who are on Twitter will have their Twitter handle across the back of their shirt instead of their surname as usual. The Rhinos are wearing a special lime green and steel alternative shirt this Friday to help raise awareness and funds for the Royal Navy & Royal Marine Charity as part of their third annual Armed Forces Day game.

The Rhinos are the leading club on Twitter in Super League with 18,000 followers whilst leading players Rob Burrow and Jamie Peacock have over 20,000 followers themselves. A remarkable 21 players of the first team squad of 31 this season are currently on Twitter.

The club will also launch a range of t-shirts that feature the Twitter handles for Rob Burrow, Danny McGuire, Ryan Bailey and Jamie Peacock that will be available from Friday.

The Rhinos are the first team to include Twitter handles for individual players across the squad. In March this year, the NBA released a range of merchandise with players' Twitter handles on the back in place of their names, while Spanish football side Valencia have also used their Twitter handle on their shirts, printing it on the front of their jersey while they searched for a main sponsor in September 2011. In April this year, the FA Women's Super League announced that one player per team would have their Twitter handle on their sleeve during the season but the Rhinos have gone one stage further.

Commenting on the initiative, Leeds Rugby Media & PR Manager Phil Daly said, "We are delighted that the RFL have allowed us to bring this initiative forward. Twitter has been fantastic for us as a tool for communicating with our fans and especially so for our players. Superstars like Russell Crowe and Wayne Rooney have used their Twitter accounts to show their support for the Rhinos and we have seen Ryan Hall trending worldwide because of his try scoring exploits with the Rhinos and England.

"We are always looking for ways to innovate and spread the word about Leeds Rhinos. With over 500 million users on Twitter worldwide it is massive around the globe and a tremendous vehicle for us to grow our brand," added Daly.

To support this great initiative, Leeds Rhinos have specially produced t-shirts for four Leeds Rhinos players who are Twitter addicts! Although Ryan Bailey will not be sporting his name on the back of his shirt at Friday's match, as his handle contravenes the RFL's regulations, he will have a t-shirt available for his loyal band of supporters. Sizes are available from XS ? 3XL and they are priced at £15. There are extremely limited numbers of t-shirts so fans should pick up theirs in store at Friday's match!

In addition to this, the Rhinos are offering all fans the chance to get the player's Twitter handle or their own Twitter handle on the reverse of their Leeds Rhinos shirts! As a special offer for this new initiative, fans will be able to pay only 50p per letter, number or symbol. Please note this discounted offering does not apply to having players names and numbers printed onto shirts ? the price for this will remain at £1 per letter, £5 for a single number and £6.50 for a double number.

Also be aware that we will endeavour to print your Twitter handle however if there are too many characters for the space available we will be unable to offer this service. Due to the limited numbers of both offerings available, they will only be available to purchase from Leeds Rugby retail at Headingley Carnegie Stadium ? this offer will not be available in our online webstore.

The full list of players on Twitter is as follows:

Luke Ambler @Ambler09
Ryan Bailey* @hayemaker16
Luke Briscoe @lukebriscoee
Rob Burrow @Rob7Burrow
Jamel Chisholm @jamelchisholm7
Chris Clarkson @chrisclarkson00
Brett Delaney @brettdelaney3
Zak Hardaker @zakhardaker1
Weller Hauraki @Weller_Hauraki
Liam Hood @Liamhood24
Ian Kirke @IanKirke
Shaun Lunt @Shaun_Lunt
Danny McGuire @DannyMcguire6
Paul McShane @Paulmcshane9
Jamie Peacock @JamiePeacock10
Daniel Smith @smithdaniel1
Lee Smith @Smith2Lee
Jared Stewart @Jaredstewart9
Stevie Ward @Ste_Ward
Kallum Watkins @kallum_watkins
Brent Webb @Brent_D_Webb79

* Ryan Bailey's Twitter handle has not passed the RFL's conditions for use on the shirt and he will play with his surname on his shirt.

I think the NRL are trying to down play Facebook and twitter. I can't see them being supportive of this. I noticed it too.

It's fan engagement.
I think our club and the bulldogs do it the best when it comes to twitter and social media. Which isn't surprising as they have Jess at the dogs who used to be Manlys digital media guru.

From what I see blokes like George, choc, joe, whare and darcy interact the most with fans from our club.

Bryce Gibbs would be by far is the most random and humorous.

Fro said:
I just want to know what the handle is that wasnt allowed :)
Gees your slipping :) u can spot spelling or grammatical errors but not something in an article.

Second name in the list.
@haymaker16

Cam it is an interesting one for all sporting clubs. Do you build the brand or the players (there are plus / negatives for both)

IMO dumb idea and it is asking for trouble. Just inviting the dopey fans (there are a few) to get on there and abuse them. That could then lead to the players firing back and getting themselves in trouble. I also just don't get or like twitter so maybe I am biased.

I signed up, but I only go on there when I'm hammered and rip on Paul Kent & Phil Rothfield. Is Rebecca Wilson on there? If so, she can cop a barrage next time I've had a few schoey's.

Morning all,

At this point in time being active on social media is a personal choice for each individual player. As great as this idea is, I don't see Manly heading in this direction any time soon.

Understandably, some of our players don't feel comfortable using twitter. I myself have contemplated deactivating my personal account because of some abuse I have received. Its far easier for people to hide behind a twitter handle and be keyboard hero's in that space as compared to facebook. I can see how daunting the task may seem for some of the boys.

Anyway, only 2 days left in beautiful Hawaii. Better go make the most of it!

Go Manly!

Larissa

I don't use twitter and have no interest in it. I think Larissa highlights the problem with it in her post.

Enjoy your last 2 days Larissa. Hope you having a great time

Larissa said:
Morning all,

At this point in time being active on social media is a personal choice for each individual player. As great as this idea is, I don't see Manly heading in this direction any time soon.

Understandably, some of our players don't feel comfortable using twitter. I myself have contemplated deactivating my personal account because of some abuse I have received. Its far easier for people to hide behind a twitter handle and be keyboard hero's in that space as compared to facebook. I can see how daunting the task may seem for some of the boys.

Anyway, only 2 days left in beautiful Hawaii. Better go make the most of it!

Go Manly!

Larissa
Workaholic :D

You make a good point though Larissa there's no shortage of trolls on twitter who like to bait people.

Enjoy you last couple of days and have a safe trip back.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4