These short term late season loans

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
The more seasoned and mature posters on here will remember the good old days ... of attrition ... and the opportunity for eternal glory they presented ..

Only 2 reserves, and both had to have played at least half a game in a lower grade ... any injuries after that and you were a man down .. sometimes 2 ..

Players like Dessie in the grand final playing absolutely busted and struggling but still running and making tackles and becoming a legend.

Send off's were more common and you just had to grit your teeth and play a man short ..

1978 and more players busted and the remaining ones writing themselves into the Manly folklaw ..

All these events led to amasing wins against the odds and gave opportunities for greatness ... moments that have cemented them as legends ..

Now, all that has been removed from the game ... and now, you can even buy players for the finals ... what a lot of horse dung.

What are peoples thoughts? Nofo this year, TPJ last...

I don't like them. Sure it suits the Storm in stacking the deck, it suits the Tigers in freeing some cap space and it suits Nofo in playing finals footy but for mine it doesnt suit the fans.

Bring back the old June 30 for mid season switches
Hate it. What is the point of a salary cap? Shrewd resource management is required by a club in the face of adversity (think back to Manly's glorious premiership in 1978 when from memory, they played 4-5 games in 20 days including a grand final replay). When Pengai Jnr joined the Panthers last year for 5 minutes, could he really say he contributed to their premiership? Would the ring mean anything without the blood, sweat & tears of a hard earned season? Endurance, resilience & bad luck have been forsaken for quick fixes at the expense of other clubs who work with what they've got.

I could understand it during covid, as there was no lower grades playing, but during regular times I think its ridiculous.
Every team gets hit with injuries; the Storm shouldn't be able to cry poor that they've lost a few backs, and be able to replace them with players from other teams, get a better junior nursery of your own to choose from.
The Storm should never have been accepted into the NRL without all this in place, it seems the NRL in their haste to play a team out of Mexico allowed them to join without meeting the same criteria as the other 15 teams but that was 24 years ago, why in that time have they not got their sh1t in a pile? Manly in recent years, particularly the Greenberg years have been denied almost every request put to the NRL but the Storms and Rorters of our world are given carte blanch whenever they are confronted by crisis, it's a fkn joke🤬

The more seasoned and mature posters on here will remember the good old days ... of attrition ... and the opportunity for eternal glory they presented ..

Only 2 reserves, and both had to have played at least half a game in a lower grade ... any injuries after that and you were a man down .. sometimes 2 ..

Players like Dessie in the grand final playing absolutely busted and struggling but still running and making tackles and becoming a legend.

Send off's were more common and you just had to grit your teeth and play a man short ..

1978 and more players busted and the remaining ones writing themselves into the Manly folklaw ..

All these events led to amasing wins against the odds and gave opportunities for greatness ... moments that have cemented them as legends ..

Now, all that has been removed from the game ... and now, you can even buy players for the finals ... what a lot of horse dung.
Great memories Woodsie, those men were tough, how many of them played week in week out having to be needled up to play because they didn't want to let their mates down, today's stars or at least most of them only have to break a nail and they're out, it's a bit sad really

Don't like it, teams should have to live and play within their squad and feeder clubs, the back end of the seasonand not purchase short term merchs leading into the finals.
Rugby league has always been a war of attrition.

One off unusual events like Covid and dislocation years the exception
It's giving Bellyache and Melb a bad look, they've been on top for so long, now all of a sudden the wheels are falling off and acting like spoilt kids throwing their toys out of the pram. They need to go through the bad times like every team does.

Hate it. What is the point of a salary cap? Shrewd resource management is required by a club in the face of adversity (think back to Manly's glorious premiership in 1978 when from memory, they played 4-5 games in 20 days including a grand final replay). When Pengai Jnr joined the Panthers last year for 5 minutes, could he really say he contributed to their premiership? Would the ring mean anything without the blood, sweat & tears of a hard earned season? Endurance, resilience & bad luck have been forsaken for quick fixes at the expense of other clubs who work with what they've got.
This is the other part of it that really bugs me. How can the 'borrowed' player claim a premiership ring. I couldn't imagine it'd feel anywhere near as satisfying. If the team is that good, then they should be able to win the comp without the need for extra backup.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys is set to scrap the controversial August 1 signing deadline and revert back to the original date before it was changed in 2020.

The deadline was originally changed from June 30 due to the impact of Covid-19, with teams stuck in Queensland scrambling to fill their roster without reserve grade players ready to plug holes.

In 2022, clubs have capitalised on the August 1 deadline to “troubleshoot” their roster according to NRL360 co-host Paul Kent, who was “disappointed” the NRL didn’t predict the impending chaos.

There have been a number of late moves including the Roosters signing of Matt Lodge and Oliver Gildart and the Storm’s acquisition of David Nofoaluma — moves that won’t be possible next year.

“I spoke to Peter V’landys just before we came on air… Peter has had enough of this late movement up until August 1,” The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield said on NRL360.

“What he is going to do next year, take it to the commission, take it back to June 30.

“Very wise move, stops Nofoaluma going to Melbourne late, Lodge to the Roosters late, Gildart too.

“It was introduced last year only because of Covid, because a lot of teams were stuck in Queensland and in desperation had to get players late.”

Kent explained he believes that historically the NRL blocking mid-season deals is a “part of the magic of this competition” and V’landys’ potential move is a “win for common sense”.

“The whole thing is a win for common sense, it needed to happen, I am disappointed it was allowed to happen this year, I think it was an oversight that they have allowed it to happen,” Kent said.

“The fact is, this is wrong for so many reasons this August 1 deadline, it is allowing teams to troubleshoot their rosters.

“The part of the game’s appeal is your 30-man roster gets you through the season, and it is the attrition and the endurance to last the season and to get to the finals in a good state of fitness.

“If you can’t do that for whatever reason… so be it, but that is a part of the magic of this competition.”

The NRL360 panel also discussed the impact mid-season poaching has on clubs in different stages of their season.

For the lower teams, offloading players is a chance to free up cap space to be used elsewhere and give their stars experience under different coaches, who can teach different things.

The competition’s elite also are able to fill holes within their squad — but for those in the middle vying for the last spots in the top eight, mid-season transfers only harm them.

Clubs like the Raiders and Sea Eagles, who are fighting to slot into the top eight, are not able to attract star players, but are also unable to loan anyone while the top four only become stronger.

“For a game that has been founded on tribalism, it just cheapens that whole concept because for the weaker clubs, what does it say for their fans,” Fox League’s James Hooper said.

“They don’t get anything out of the fact that the strong clubs sit back and know the deadline is looming, know they have got time.

“Look at the Storm, how many players did they go after from Reece Walsh to Adam Doueihi… the list went on.

“That can’t be sitting well with the clubs down the bottom of the ladder.”

“For those middle teams… they get no benefit out of it, and I actually believe they are harmed by it because they can’t troubleshoot,” Kent said.

“The middle teams are not attracting players and they aren’t loaning players because it is just too tight, they need all hands on deck.

“They were being impacted, it was basically strengthening the top four teams who have the ability to go and pick the eyes out, as has happened, of the bottom four teams and just target their better players.”

The trade system just makes me less interested in this game.

As soon as a loan system gained traction. It's hard to see it not being the death of this game.

If you don't want a comp like Superleague where only a couple of teams can win a title ever. Giving yet more advantage to the clubs with money. Dosent make dollars or sense to a so called more equal competition.

ARLC chairman Peter V’landys is set to scrap the controversial August 1 signing deadline and revert back to the original date before it was changed in 2020.

The deadline was originally changed from June 30 due to the impact of Covid-19, with teams stuck in Queensland scrambling to fill their roster without reserve grade players ready to plug holes.

In 2022, clubs have capitalised on the August 1 deadline to “troubleshoot” their roster according to NRL360 co-host Paul Kent, who was “disappointed” the NRL didn’t predict the impending chaos.

There have been a number of late moves including the Roosters signing of Matt Lodge and Oliver Gildart and the Storm’s acquisition of David Nofoaluma — moves that won’t be possible next year.

“I spoke to Peter V’landys just before we came on air… Peter has had enough of this late movement up until August 1,” The Daily Telegraph’s Buzz Rothfield said on NRL360.

“What he is going to do next year, take it to the commission, take it back to June 30.

“Very wise move, stops Nofoaluma going to Melbourne late, Lodge to the Roosters late, Gildart too.

“It was introduced last year only because of Covid, because a lot of teams were stuck in Queensland and in desperation had to get players late.”

Kent explained he believes that historically the NRL blocking mid-season deals is a “part of the magic of this competition” and V’landys’ potential move is a “win for common sense”.

“The whole thing is a win for common sense, it needed to happen, I am disappointed it was allowed to happen this year, I think it was an oversight that they have allowed it to happen,” Kent said.

“The fact is, this is wrong for so many reasons this August 1 deadline, it is allowing teams to troubleshoot their rosters.

“The part of the game’s appeal is your 30-man roster gets you through the season, and it is the attrition and the endurance to last the season and to get to the finals in a good state of fitness.

“If you can’t do that for whatever reason… so be it, but that is a part of the magic of this competition.”

The NRL360 panel also discussed the impact mid-season poaching has on clubs in different stages of their season.

For the lower teams, offloading players is a chance to free up cap space to be used elsewhere and give their stars experience under different coaches, who can teach different things.

The competition’s elite also are able to fill holes within their squad — but for those in the middle vying for the last spots in the top eight, mid-season transfers only harm them.

Clubs like the Raiders and Sea Eagles, who are fighting to slot into the top eight, are not able to attract star players, but are also unable to loan anyone while the top four only become stronger.

“For a game that has been founded on tribalism, it just cheapens that whole concept because for the weaker clubs, what does it say for their fans,” Fox League’s James Hooper said.

“They don’t get anything out of the fact that the strong clubs sit back and know the deadline is looming, know they have got time.

“Look at the Storm, how many players did they go after from Reece Walsh to Adam Doueihi… the list went on.

“That can’t be sitting well with the clubs down the bottom of the ladder.”

“For those middle teams… they get no benefit out of it, and I actually believe they are harmed by it because they can’t troubleshoot,” Kent said.

“The middle teams are not attracting players and they aren’t loaning players because it is just too tight, they need all hands on deck.

“They were being impacted, it was basically strengthening the top four teams who have the ability to go and pick the eyes out, as has happened, of the bottom four teams and just target their better players.”

Good news.
This year's comp still a fraud though.

Why they are bog average especially Jimmy the Cessna as he is no longer a Jet.
Agree with Robert’s but I rate Nofaluma highly.

Side note: if the Tigers agreed to loan them on the shortest of loans, ie 1 week….and we applied for that loan say….last week, would it have been rubber stamped? I know the answer but raises the question, how short is too short…and why? Could Penrith loan Brooks for 5 weeks?

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6