The weight of expectation

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

c eagle

Reserve Grader
With both DCE and Foran reportedly being offered 1.2million each a season to stay at Eagles , this price tag will come with heavy expectations from manly sea eagle fans and the media.... As you know if a star is down or having a bad day, they ride him..... And question every performance under a microscope. This is all before we as supporters of this great club get our bit...... And the more money we pump into our halves the less the talent they will have around them.... Putting All the pressure on the million dollar babies week in week out, which will mean these two will have the play like champions to match that price tag. I wouldn't be signing both....... Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Media are pumping numbers up day by day, they both might get 1mil but I doubt much more

I don't take any notice of reports . I listen to 2V and he wants to build a team around them
Is 2V going 2 be around after this season? I get the feeling that the people in charge don't rate him as highly as some.

With the price tag that is being commanded by DCE and Foz the downside for them is that every poor pass, every poor game, every facial expression will be analysed more than by someone on $80k a year. It's just life, and you see it in every sport, and also in every work place in Australia.

There will at times be criticism of them (externally and internally) which will be unjustified and over the top, but that's what comes of this situation. As a sea eagles fan if we are paying such huge amounts (and percentages of our salary cap), I certainly want to see result for that spend, but I also want to see that it means something. And I want to see that a poor game, or a loss stings them into action.

I'll certainly accept that a player will have poor games, what I wont accept is a player on 1million a year plus not putting in a big effort week to week.

2.4m of a 4.* cap is ludicrous and Id rather we only keep one than shell out that much of the cap on 2 players

The cap is 6.5 mil and going up every year no?

But your point still stands.

I wasn't sure of the exact amount but its still valid, to have 1/3 of your cap used on 2 players and then having to use 2/3 for 23 other players (granted there are cap exemptions for Brett Stewart I think now, but still it doesn't leave a lot in the kitty to have other players on decent amounts

It hurts because I really want to keep both of them. Been so impressed with Foz the last two years, even more than DCE I would still prefer DCE because he is a game breaker and I think he is more likely to win us the close games. I can't help thinking maybe losing one of them might not be such a bad thing.

Now is probably the rare time Manly COULD afford to sign them to that money. If you did three years at that much, because all the older guys deals are ending and they are being replaced much cheaper options, there is cash there. If you believe in the young backs coming through then resigning both is a possibility.

The problem would be in three years time when those young guys, if they come on, are looking for upgrades. Then you feel the squeeze.

But for now we would basically be doing what Melbourne did. Sign your core for big money and fill out the squad with youth.

Personally, I reckon $800,000 maximun for either player, sure other clubs may offer them more, but they will be split up, and also have to relocate from an area they are both setttled in and love, and will also have a lot of expectations placed upon them.
Simply, we would be remiss in our duty if we paid them both what other clubs are reported to be offering, and if they are expecting the same from us, then they can go.

I think if it were another club I was observing going through this (ie, taking my heart out of my thinking), I'd think they were insane to try to keep both. It's not like you'd be investing 1/3 of your cap in two vastly different positions. They're both halves for God's sake.
Anyhoo, glad it's not me trying to sort it.

They are being offered these ludicrous amounts because that is what all 16 clubs in the NRL must truly believe they are worth. Not because they are demanding it. Go to work tomorrow and demand your boss double or triple your salary/wage, because you think you're worth it. let us know how that works out for you! On the other hand, if your boss does think you are worth the big pay rise, and he thinks you may go to another employer, maybe you'll get your rise. I bet you and your family would be happy with that! You'd have done what is best for your family!!

In all honesty, and in my opinion only, $800 000 should be top dollar for any player. However, if you can get more...

What I find even more silly than all this money talk is the old, "We should only have players that put in big games every week" crap. You know what? Just because you lose a game doesn't mean your players weren't putting in enough. Sometimes, you can try too hard to pull a game out of the fire resulting in dropped balls, forward passes, kicks out on the full, poor reads in defence, injuries etc.. it's the nature of the sport and the competitive nature of the players who feel they need to take control and lead the team to success.

If you have played the game at any reasonable level, and many of us probably have, you'd know that no player ever takes the field with a "she'll be right, we'll just see how it goes" mindset. I know I never did, and I was nowhere near NRL level. So, at NRL level I'd say every player wants to win. Every player wants his next game to be his best. Every player is proud for the opportunity to represent their club. It boggles the mind to read how some supporters don't see that, or simply believe it to be untrue.

My expectations are . Have maroon and white feathers will always fly high no matter who leaves because we have proven to have the best culture to always breed a winning team :)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6