The untold story behind captain DCE

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Mitch

Bencher
Just a snippet from a Fox Sports article by Nathan Ryan this morning. I loved it though and again I think it shows why we should be proud to have the man as captain of our club.

THE UNTOLD STORY BEHIND CAPTAIN DCE

During the pre-season the players would take turns controlling the music in the gym.

It started in alphabetical order.

Lewis Brown was first but it wasn’t long before Daly Cherry-Evans was called up.

At the end of the gym session the players would vote on the music selection.

Thumbs up or thumbs down.

The punishment for a majority thumbs down ruling is a few kilometres on the assault bike.

The weights groups are split into two — forwards and backs.

What DCE didn’t know is his teammates had conspired against him on the day he was in control of the beats.

Word quickly spread around the gym that the playing group was going to prank the skipper.

So after 45 minutes of lifting it was put to a vote. Majority thumbs down and Cherry was forced onto the assault bike.

To make matters worse, the squad had time trial testing straight after their gym session.

The skipper was well aware of the testing to come but he jumped on the bike and tore in.

The playing group surrounded him, cheering him on as beads of sweat zoomed down his hair and off his nose.

It was a day his teammates remember vividly. He smashed himself on the bike before his teammates and then let loose on the oval just moments later. A 2km time trial and guess who finished first? DCE.

This is just an example of why the halfback is their leader.

You ask any of the players who have been there for a couple of seasons now and they’ll tell you Cherry-Evans is a different person.

He’s embraced his role as a leader. The players can feel the shift.

That ‘c’ word often thrown around ... culture. It’s DCE driving it. A leader by example.

It’s great that he smashes the assault bike and a 2km time trial. I’d prefer he smashes the 5th tackle options and ices games. Always gives 100% but he still has some ground to make up to be in that elite player group.

Last edited:
Daly is something special.
Always plays fair but almost never soft.
A great ambassador for the Club who has not received near as many accolades as he deserves.
I am stoked that he plays for Manly and would not swap him for any player in any other Club and I hope that his team learn to play with the heart and desire he exhibits.
We’d be unbeatable if so.

My point (besides the lame humour) is that DCE is the last man standing. The club have built a new team around him. How many of the team that played on the weekend were anywhere near the first grade team 5 years ago? Jake might have been training with them - he debuted in round 26 2013. On the injured list, Jorge and Darcy were at the club but DCE has been handed a roster which he can influence and he is doing his best to build great culture.

My point (besides the lame humour) is that DCE is the last man standing. The club have built a new team around him. How many of the team that played on the weekend were anywhere near the first grade team 5 years ago? Jake might have been training with them - he debuted in round 26 2013. On the injured list, Jorge and Darcy were at the club but DCE has been handed a roster which he can influence and he is doing his best to build great culture.
Have a look at this thread from last year where I wondered the same thing, but based on 2015 squad.

https://silvertails.net/threads/the-new-regime.51115/

Only 5 survivors from 2015 squad.

Daly is something special.
Always plays fair but almost never soft.
A great ambassador for the Club who has not received near as many accolades as he deserves.
I am stoked that he plays for Manly and would not swap him for any player in any other Club and I hope that his team learn to play with the heart and desire he exhibits.
We’d be unbeatable if so.

Great post @CEGL...!!

Chez is a very determined person and wants the best for those around him, like his family and team mates. He has a mind set that sets him apart to a lot of people. And when he stuffs up on the field, I can tell you now he knows it and he is actually very hard on himself.
Chez ALWAYS puts in 110% and has a great footy brain. Sometimes he thinks two steps ahead of everyone, even himself lol.

He has been treated like dirt by the media and many fans and it amazes me at how he rises above this and continues to improve as an athlete and football player.

(And he nor Walks should ever have been named in the TPA NRL orchestrated BS story. It was a disgusting grab for coverage....!!)

Chez is different to Thurston, Scam and the other pretenders. He is not an arrogant person, has never shamed himself or his family, has respect for his family, the fans and woman. I have met Chez many times and he is always friendly, always....and has always had time for me.

And he does have a pretty good sense of humour as well.

We are very lucky to have him as our captain and think he is worth every cent. I mean Jack Bird, Shaun Johnson, Anthony Milford and Mitchell Pearce are all on about $1mill plus this year. And Chez is in a class of his own compared to this lot.

Anyway, I think Chez is a legend and have always been a supporter of his and it was actually one of the happiest days of my ultra exciting life when I found out he was staying at Manly.

Hopefully we can get a premiership one year when he is captain, would love to see this....!!

Maybe not the complete half but pretty close to it . Always has had great dedication and even before his Manly playing days and is a lot quicker then many people realize . Came from quite good playing stock as well , two of his uncles on his mothers side played Ist grade in Brisbane [ and J . P Cherry played reserve grade for Manly ] , his father ist grade in Brisbane also . Manly are fortunate to have him as a long term and high quality player .

Great post @CEGL...!!
Anyway, I think Chez is a legend and have always been a supporter of his and it was actually one of the happiest days of my ultra exciting life when I found out he was staying at Manly.

Hopefully we can get a premiership one year when he is captain, would love to see this....!!
Speaking on behalf of us all, I am ultra excited for you.:)

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
9 5 3 37 11
9 5 4 95 10
7 4 3 49 10
9 5 4 42 10
9 5 4 -14 10
7 3 4 17 8