the Turbo effect - defence, attack

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I just noticed Manly has scored 4th most points so far! Which surprised me a bit because most of those have been scored without our attacking spearhead Turbo. What could this mean? For one, it means there's still plenty of ability in the remaining players.

Aside from missing his obvious attacking ability, one of the biggest hits from the absence of Tom would have been the blow to the team's confidence. As well as boosting the opposition's confidence.

Last year Manly finished as 3rd best in attack but only 6th in defence. This year, currently 4th in attack but ...11th (yes 11th!) in defence. That's obviously a massive problem.

There's evidence over the last couple of months of improvement, and surely confidence will have got a sizeable boost from downing Storm, and so-nearly downing Cows. Even in defence we kept those 2 big guns very quiet for 70 minutes. Can Manly make the adjustments to get its defence consistently in order? Maybe, maybe not. But if they can, I reckon there's still enough attack in this side to put the 'one-man-team' tag to bed forever.

We probably have to get used to being “ Turboless” as it’s clear that at least at this stage of his career he’s very very injury prone.

Feel sorry for the big fella as it must be as frustrating as all hell.

I think we are improving without him and proving to ourselves that we can win even without him being there.

I hope next year is better but the odds of him playing a full season are extremely low.

We probably have to get used to being “ Turboless” as it’s clear that at least at this stage of his career he’s very very injury prone.

Feel sorry for the big fella as it must be as frustrating as all hell.

I think we are improving without him and proving to ourselves that we can win even without him being there.

I hope next year is better but the odds of him playing a full season are extremely low.
Tommy Gibbsovic.

I really feel it's a good thing other players are making things happen and taking more ownership....Turbo in 2021 often reminded me of an U10's game, where the team relies on that 1 big player who does it all anmd scores every try, but there is no plan B.
This is how a Tomless Manly have looked in the past and now when he DOES actually get onto the field, the team may be better for it and not rely on him so much, which is a good thing.
This has been the case in the finals series last year, when opposition went in "shut down Tom, you shut down Manly" and unfortunately it worked.
I mean if this team can hold it's own and other player have more impact and they have shown this is the case, Tom will always come up with the odd BIG play, but if there are other options to create tries, it's better for the team going forward and in the long run.

I just noticed Manly has scored 4th most points so far! Which surprised me a bit because most of those have been scored without our attacking spearhead Turbo. What could this mean? For one, it means there's still plenty of ability in the remaining players.

Aside from missing his obvious attacking ability, one of the biggest hits from the absence of Tom would have been the blow to the team's confidence. As well as boosting the opposition's confidence.

Last year Manly finished as 3rd best in attack but only 6th in defence. This year, currently 4th in attack but ...11th (yes 11th!) in defence. That's obviously a massive problem.

There's evidence over the last couple of months of improvement, and surely confidence will have got a sizeable boost from downing Storm, and so-nearly downing Cows. Even in defence we kept those 2 big guns very quiet for 70 minutes. Can Manly make the adjustments to get its defence consistently in order? Maybe, maybe not. But if they can, I reckon there's still enough attack in this side to put the 'one-man-team' tag to bed forever.
We’ve made the least number of missed tackles thus far...which means teams are scoring against our structure, not our intent. That’s a concern.

Intent is attitude, which means we are putting in. Poor structures or failing to use the structure as it’s intended, is a cranial problem. Are the structures too complex? Are they flawed?

The upside of losing Tom, is the team are forced to learn to play without him, which is good for development.

Structurally, there was far too heavy a reliance on his input. The onus is now on backrowers and centres playing more direct, as opposed to running shifts all the time.

The upside of losing Tom, is the team are forced to learn to play without him, which is good for development.

Structurally, there was far too heavy a reliance on his input. The onus is now on backrowers and centres playing more direct, as opposed to running shifts all the time.
The problem is we've learned to play without turbo in the last couple of years, yet find ourselves to have completely regressed when he returned, and back to square one this year. This group of men just seem to take the lazy option when ever it is open and if someone else in the team will carry a load.

And we have shown that we dont have any problems scoring points against top sides, just stopping them from scoring is the problem

We’ve made the least number of missed tackles thus far...which means teams are scoring against our structure, not our intent. That’s a concern.

Intent is attitude, which means we are putting in. Poor structures or failing to use the structure as it’s intended, is a cranial problem. Are the structures too complex? Are they flawed?
We play a high risk high reward structure. When everyone is working in unison we look great but it only takes one or two people to be out of synch by a fraction and it all falls apart like a house of cards.

The disturbing frequency that they fall apart and the fact that it generally happens against the more clinical teams would indicate that they are over complicated or we don't practice them at a high enough intensity.

We have had a lot of changes in the edge backrow, centre and wing from how we would've practiced in the off season which would've made it extra difficult to play a structure that requires everyone to be on the same page at all times.

@maxta completely agree. If we can work on playing like this and then bringing such a weapon on top of this....look out. If turbo is lurking around and not being used on every option....That's when he and the team will be very hard to beat.

Against Cowboys & Storm we let in 40 plus points in 10 minutes of play towards the end of the games!!!! Hopefully we don't live to regret it if points differential comes into play for the top 8.

Should be a bit easier to adjust in defence with a key player out at the back but hard to compensate for an ace attacker like Turbo , Fortunately though , Garrick is doing much better with his attacking presence in recent games and looks to be holding his own with the defensive role and talk Though sure that Foz is quite vocal to compliment . Really not that dissimilar when Snake was either available or non available in terms of influencing outcomes , win rate much better when they were available . Capable players like Michael Robbo and even Dean Whare were able to do well as is Garrick gradually now . Turbo when he is completely switched on and fit and also like Snake [ who was usually switched on ] , hard to replace all round and with their familiarity at one but fortunately at present , Garrick is gradually playing a pretty useful role there .

Defensively our biggest weakness are players running up out of the defensive line and DCE is the number one offender. Its a low percentage play and generally results in us conceding a try. They need to believe in one another in defence and hold their line. Its not rocket science its simple.

Defensively our biggest weakness are players running up out of the defensive line and DCE is the number one offender. Its a low percentage play and generally results in us conceding a try. They need to believe in one another in defence and hold their line. Its not rocket science its simple.

Disagree. Munster runs up out of the line a lot to take time away from the team with possession. Melb have a real defensive line inside and out to back Munster doing this.
Manly don't.

Not too complex but flawed based on 2 factors: 1) the 6-again rule wasn't around when Des successfully employed this structure in the past, and 2) our players are too inexperienced (particularly at our edges) to pull it off

Turbo-charged attack: Tom Trbojevic takes over the first receiver role​

Christian Nicolussi

By Christian Nicolussi

March 24, 2023 — 11.48am
Save
Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size

League purists – and Sea Eagle-eyed fans – would have noticed Manly and Tom Trbojevic adopt the Sydney Roosters and James Tedesco blueprint of playing their fullback more like a halfback.
Trbojevic and Sea Eagles skipper Daly Cherry-Evans this week did their best to explain to the Herald the benefits of the fullback becoming the first receiver towards the end of attacking sets.

Play Video

Tom Trbojevic is the greatest attacking force in league'

Tom Trbojevic is the greatest attacking force in league'

Play video
4:23

Tom Trbojevic is the greatest attacking force in league'​

Athletics governing body bans transgender women from female events

On his Six Tackles with Gus podcast, Phil Gould has declared Tom Trbojevic the greatest attacking force in league, and the differences between he, James Tedesco and Cameron Munster.
Tedesco has revolutionised the fullback role by acting like a half and knowing when to run at the line or fire early ball out to his halves and outside backs when faced with a compressed defence. By doing so, rather than simply running off his halves, Tedesco leaves teams second-guessing themselves – and now it’s inspired similar change on the northern beaches.
Manly are the only club capable of doing something similar because of Trbojevic’s natural ability, and having two halves – Cherry-Evans and Josh Schuster – who were happy to play second receiver. The Sea Eagles have posted 65 points in their opening two games, and will look to keep the scoreboard ticking over against South Sydney on Saturday night.
Manly’s admission about ‘Turbo’s’ new role came in the same week Phil Gould declared on his Wide World Of Sports Six Tackles With Guspodcast that Trbojevic was “the greatest attacking force in the game of rugby league today”.
Cherry-Evans told the Herald: “If you look at the evolution of ‘Teddy’ at fullback, you’ll see he’s everywhere on the field – he’s out the back of shape, he’ll play on the ball like a half can – and he’s been fantastic at it the last few years.
Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic is being used as first receiver towards the end of attacking sets.

Manly fullback Tom Trbojevic is being used as first receiver towards the end of attacking sets.CREDIT:GETTY IMAGES
“If you get too wide with your defence, Teddy will challenge you by running, and if you’re too tight, he’ll pass out the back. We have a fullback more than capable of doing the same.
“It was actually Tom’s initiative. He’s always finding ways to get better. He’s noticed teams tightened up on him around the ruck, and like any good player, you then try and find ways to combat that.

“The beauty is it’s all up to Tom and his footy smarts, and he picks the right option more often than not. Not every fullback can do it.
“And for me, I naturally like to play second receiver, so I’m a big advocate for what we’re doing – hopefully it brings out more of my running game this season.”
Yeah bro: Tom Trbojevic celebrates one of his tries with brother Jake.

Yeah bro: Tom Trbojevic celebrates one of his tries with brother Jake.CREDIT:GETTY
Trbojevic said he made a point of slipping into first receiver late in the set, and where possible tried to take the carry on the fifth tackle, which hopefully required a few defenders to bring him down, and allowed the Manly forwards to charge down field and defend the kick.
“It’s all about giving our side options and a different dimension when I carry the ball,” he said.
Gould said Tedesco was more a “work horse”, while Trbojevic “has a number of strings to his bow”.
“His running game, his passing game, his physicality – he’s a big man and people don’t realise how big he is – his speed, and ability to make players miss, his sense of timing and sense of where to turn up ... if I’m coaching against another team, Tom Trbojevic would be the one who strikes most fear into me and keep me awake,” Gould said.

RELATED ARTICLE​

Adam Reynolds knows the Broncos-Redcliffe rivalry will take about 100 years to come close to matching the history between Souths and the Roosters.

NRL 2023

Broncos-Dolphins rivalry can’t match Souths-Roosters ... yet, says Reynolds

The Sea Eagles are shooting for three straight wins against a Souths side missing a host of middle forwards, but playing on the emotion of the passing of league legend John Sattler. It will be the first time Trbojevic and fellow No.1 headliner Latrell Mitchell play against each other in five seasons.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4