The Silvertails Preview: Round 2 The Manly Sea Eagles v The West Tigers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sure hope we don't pay for letting Michael Chee-Kam go .... another one that was injured for a long period the gets a few cameo appearances on his return, played really well and showed great attitude and speed .... and then gets told we don't want him ..... but we kept Braydon W ....

by @KeithSheldon

So I want to apologize for not doing this round one, but to say that this wasn’t scheduled last minute is a bigger lie than saying the Titans have realistic premiership chances this year. I am planning on writing a preview for each and every Manly match for the rest of the season.

These are two teams whose round one results are the complete opposite of each other. Manly are coming off of a soul crushing loss, they were favourites to win their game but played like the ball was burning their hands and had no organisation offensively. They just looked lost out there. They completely capitulated. The halves sucked and everywhere else wasn’t much better. This week the pressure has to be on these players, they were hyped up so much in the pre-season so that loss must have stung.

However the Tigers are coming off of an unprecedented win. Despite missing Farrah and Ballin (their number one and two choice dummy-halves) as well as Luke Brooks they comprehensively outplayed the completely stacked, albeit schizophrenic Warriors. They may have dropped off a cliff in the second half, but Mitchell Moses and James Tedesco both played out of their skin. For them this week is a question of whether or not they can do it again against Manly, another side that is very good on paper.

Team Lists:

The West Tigers
1. James Tedesco
2. David Nofoaluma
3. Tim Simona
4. Kevin Naiqama
5. Jordan Rankin
6. Mitchell Moses
7. Luke Brooks
8. Aaron Woods ©
9. Dene Halatau
10. Tim Grant
11. Curtis Sironen
12. Chris Lawrence
13. Sauaso Sue
14. Kyle Lovett
15. Joshua Aloiai
16. Ava Seumanufagai
17. Manaia Cherrington
18. Michael Chee-Kam
Coach: Jason Taylor

The Manly Sea Eagles
1. Tom Trbojevic
2. Jorge Taufua
3. Jamie Lyon
4. Steve Matai
5. Brayden Wiliame
6. Dylan Walker
7. Daly Cherry-Evans
8. Josh Starling
9. Apisai Koroisau
10. Nate Myles
11. Lewis Brown
12. Martin Taupau
13. Jake Trbojevic
14. Matt Parcell
15. Nathan Green
16. Brenton Lawrence
17. Siosaia Vave
Coach: Trent Barrett

Few changes to both sides here from their round one line ups. For the Tigers Dene Halatau’s return from suspension means Kyle Lovett moves onto the interchange bench and Jack Buchanan drops out of the side whilst Luke Brooks’s return pushes Jack Littlejohn out of the side.

For Manly, Darcy Lussick and Blake Leary are both dropped from the bench in favour of Josh Starling and Brenton Lawrence, with Lawrence making his first appearance in the top grade since round one 2015, over 12 months ago now. Jake Trbojevic is moved to lock, pushing Martin Taupau into the second row, Nathan Green to the interchange bench and Josh Starling into a starting prop jumper.

Analysis:

There are going to be some interesting match ups in this game, most notably I think will be Tedesco v Trbojevic. The superstar in the making is up against a genuine, superstar fullback. As much potential as Trbojevic has, I think Tedesco has the edge over him at this point in their respective careers. Trbojevic may be one of the fastest players I have ever seen but Tedesco is as evasive as a seasoned politician being asked a simple question. His ability to burst out of tackles as well as his natural speed will make him hard to contain, however containing him is going to be vital for Manly. He is a large portion of that Tigers attack and if we can successfully contain him then their offense will be crippled.

The centres and wingers is a battle of strength and experience vs speed and youth. All of our backs are a lot stronger than theirs, however players like Nofoaluma and Simona can completely outpace our backs. The Tigers really do have an underrated backline I think, I really rate their centre pairing. We do have an edge over their backs, however it is a surprisingly close. I do find it funny that both of the wingers in the number 5 jersey are awful players that shouldn’t be anywhere near first grade. Pro tip: if you are the betting type, Taufua and Nofoaluma AT is looking pretty good with the lack of quality that will be defending against them.

The West Tigers halves are talented, but inconsistent. They are the stereotypical ‘brought into first grade too early’ sort of players. Mitchell Moses had one of this three good games a season last week, and I will be very surprised if he or Brooks can do that again this week. I would rather have one DCE than a pair of Moses and Brooks, which thankfully we have. Our halves should be better than theirs.

The middle forwards is a very even contest. Aaron Woods is great, but Tim Grant juxtaposes this by being trash. There is a reason he was shipped off to the Rabbitohs and then was told to go home after a singular season. But then again on our side, Josh Starling is rather stock standard and Nate Myles is only above average. I hope Nate Myles picks up from his efforts last week, he wasn’t bad but I expected more from him. And whenever he took a hit-up he looked like an old man lowering himself into a bath, he just stopped at the opposition line and let them take him to the ground slowly.

Sauaso Sue and Jake Trbojevic are two very inexperienced, but very talented forwards. Sue was the best player behind Tedesco and Moses for the Tigers last weekend, he ran at the Warrior’s defence with everything he had. However, I think Jake Trbojevic is a little better. It may be his first visit this week but I do like Jake Trbojevic moving to lock. His play won’t change at al really much since most locks just play as a third prop these days but it might mean he will get more ball. And anything that gives him more ball is a benefit in my books. He is quickly becoming one of the premier forwards in the NRL so he needs as much ball as possible if our forward pack is to succeed.

I am excited to see Taupau moving to the edges, and honestly it needed to be done. Not because of his performance last week, but because the Tigers would know how to shut him down in the middle since they played with him. They would never go in one on one and would get their strongest players to chop him down with leg tackles. However, closer to the edge he will be up against worse defenders, and smaller men so he could cause havoc.

Manly’s big problem last week was that Dylan Walker got the ball far too much on the fifth tackle and in the opposition red zone. I know he was enthusiastic, which I can applaud. However he needs to be eased into the role like Milford was. DCE needed to be given the ball a lot more, because he is a player that defenders worry about on the last tackle, they give him space because he can catch them out if they rush up on him. However defenders can just rush up on Walker and be confident that he will not punish them for it and come up with a lousy play. The halves were the big problem last week, the forwards were fine. We were competing with the biggest pack in the game for a lot of last week and they held their ground well enough. They certainly didn’t come on top but we weren’t completely dominated. It was our lack of halves cohesion that was killer. I can understand splitting the ball sixty-forty or fifty-fifty in an attacking zone but when we are at the 50 metre line and need to make ground give the ball to Lyon or DCE, not Walker.

I also think we needed to use the bench dummy half more cleverly. Our ruck speed was very good when Parcell was on, but the fact that Barrett put him on just after half time was silly. I thought the point of Parcell would be to expose tired forwards, but they weren’t tired because they just came back from a break. I do think by the end of the year we will need to start running with one dummy half, and I honestly think it should be Parcell over Koroisau. But for now Parcell needs to be used more effectively, put him on just before halftime or with 20 minutes to go or something.

Conclusion:

Can we win? Yes we can. Will we win? Yes I think we will. Yes the Tigers put a big score on the Warriors, but they are the Warriors. They are less consistent than melted ice-cream. Did anyone else notice how when the Warriors finally sorted their attack out that they started scoring points at a whim against the Tigers? Well that is because the defence of the West Tigers is flimsy as all hell.

As long as we don’t coat our hands in butter before the game like we did last week, we will win. Our halves are better, our second row is better, our dummy halves are better and our backs are better. We are the better side on paper by far, and really you just need to contain Tedesco and the Tiger’s attack is stagnant. Brooks and Moses are too inexperienced and aren’t good enough to create points reliably, and Halatau was an acceptable first grade four years ago but now not so much.

After that second half capitulation by the Tigers, I don’t see how you could have as much confidence in them as some people seem to have. I don’t like their defence, and I think they looked good in attack against a Warriors side famous for its lacklustre defence. I say we will win and shut some of the more negative members of the fan base up. Manly by 10.
So if we don'e win tonight I presume the mantra will be we just need time.

I'm curious to all of the optimists out there, how many weeks of rubbish will it take before you consider we have an issue? Three, four.....seven?

The coach is the problem and he will continue to be the problem. If we don;t win tonight we will be in all sorts with Cronulla, Easts, Souths, Warriors and parra the next 5 weeks. I see us 0-7 and getting our first win against drugcastle. I hope I'm wrong, but this really feels like a worse start ahead than last season.

I'm curious to all of the optimists out there, how many weeks of rubbish will it take before you consider we have an issue? Three, four.....seven?

The coach is the problem and he will continue to be the problem. If we don;t win tonight we will be in all sorts with Cronulla, Easts, Souths, Warriors and parra the next 5 weeks. I see us 0-7 and getting our first win against drugcastle. I hope I'm wrong, but this really feels like a worse start ahead than last season.
6 weeks
I am not sure how you can make any sort of conclusions before then

The coach is the problem
What are you talking about? Everyone saw there was an issue after one week!

So enlighten us, Mr pessimist, how many wins by Manly this year will it take for you to acknowledge that you were wrong about Barrett? 10? 13? 15?

I'm glad I don't have to recharge any batteries with the positive energy on here.....

We'll win tonight, and win well.

I'm glad I don't have to recharge any batteries with the positive energy on here.....

We'll win tonight, and win well.
I genuinely hope you're right, but with the 2 hooker policy, Williame on the wing and Vave on the bench we are just giving away too much to the opposition. The competition is so tight that the difference between 1st and last is not much. Giving the opposition three huge free kicks is too much to overcome in my view.

The answer is more than one week. I want to see a repeat performance first before I cry about how everything is bad and that we are doomed for the spoon. Shouting about how you have an issue and need to change after one lousy performances is jumping the gun spectacularly.

I don't understand the attitude of people like you who seem to think that after seeing two teams lists and one performance that Trent Barrett is the worst thing since the Northern Eagles. If we repeat the performance this week I see where you are coming from. Until then though I will be a filthy optimist.

Also I don't see how we could lose round 4 against the Cocks, they played worse than us last week, and struggled to score against a Raiders team that were without their starting halves and lost another two players.

I genuinely hope you're right, but with the 2 hooker policy, Williame on the wing and Vave on the bench we are just giving away too much to the opposition. The competition is so tight that the difference between 1st and last is not much. Giving the opposition three huge free kicks is too much to overcome in my view.

The Broncos, Cowboys, Eels, Rabbitohs, Raiders, Titans and most importantly The Tigers all carry a bench hooker, and all of them have won a game. There is nothing wrong with carrying a bench hooker. It is like you are looking for things to be negative about now.

Half-empty-glass-008.jpg

Half empty or half full?

Including from myself, there was a lot of doom and gloom on here after the loss to the Dogs. Some have carried that into this week, some haven't, and we haven't even played.

Sure there are some selections we don't agree with, but I think Barrett's gone some way to rectifying last weeks forwards problem. The inclusion of Starling to the front row, moving Taupau to 2nd row, Jake to lock with BJ on the bench is actually a good thing IMO.

How they all go tonight is the million dollar question. Personally I have confidence that they'll come out firing against the Tigpies.

As for Wiliame, he's just about our only reserve outside back other than made of glass Moltzen with any first grade experience (though none of it good), and who is actually fit. Goodall and Lavaka are virtually untried at NRL level and TB seems to consider Green a back rower. Snake getting injured just seems to have thrown everything for a loop really.

Last edited:
The Broncos, Cowboys, Eels, Rabbitohs, Raiders, Titans and most importantly The Tigers all carry a bench hooker, and all of them have won a game. There is nothing wrong with carrying a bench hooker. It is like you are looking for things to be negative about now.
A bench hooker is fine if you have a dominant forward pack capable of big minutes. Those teams you mentioned have numerous long minutes players. This week we have Brown and only Brown who may play 80 minutes.We need the interchange and fresh legs with this pack.

The old backrow of Choc, Buhrer & Gift were 80 minute players when we were dominant.

What are you talking about? Everyone saw there was an issue after one week!

So enlighten us, Mr pessimist, how many wins by Manly this year will it take for you to acknowledge that you were wrong about Barrett? 10? 13? 15?

Why are you attacking everyone lately? Can't Ralphie have an opinion?

The answer is more than one week. I want to see a repeat performance first before I cry about how everything is bad and that we are doomed for the spoon. Shouting about how you have an issue and need to change after one lousy performances is jumping the gun spectacularly.

I don't understand the attitude of people like you who seem to think that after seeing two teams lists and one performance that Trent Barrett is the worst thing since the Northern Eagles. If we repeat the performance this week I see where you are coming from. Until then though I will be a filthy optimist.

Also I don't see how we could lose round 4 against the Cocks, they played worse than us last week, and struggled to score against a Raiders team that were without their starting halves and lost another two players.
You talk about over reaction and then you mention the spoon, which no one on here has mentioned. For the record, I don't see a spoon anytime soon, nor do I see the top 8 anytime soon.

My criticism revolves solely around the coaches selection, nothing more. Last week we stupidly went with a lightweight pack against the biggest pack in the comp and this week we have the stupidity of Williame, who will be heavily targeted, Dropping of Leary & Lussick in favour of Green & Vave and carrying a hooker on the bench when only one of our forwards is capable of 80 minutes. These mistakes are blindingly obvious and are the errors of a rookie coach who is out of their depth.

Why are you attacking everyone lately? Can't Ralphie have an opinion?
Wasn't aware I was attacking anyone, of course he can have an opinion and his opinion is that 'the coach is the problem' and that people (like me) who aren't prepared to write him off after one week are optimists. Hence my question, what would Barrett have to achieve to show he can coach, which Ralphie has already answered above.

5 weeks for mine. I would expect us to be clicking into gear by then. In saying this I do not expect us or want us to lose our first 5 games. Lets hope we get a win tonight.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4