The Shane Flanagan Influence

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Get him OFF our ****ing team. Have some standards, ethics and pride Manly. Let him coach The Dragons in a part time job swap with NRL on Fox.

Why can't we have the same standards as the Chooks? You're either 100% in, or **** off.

And honestly, this is 99% the problem with this club. The level of commitment from the owners, coaches and players vary from nothing, to 65% (Jake exempt from this figure - he's 110% Manly).
Manly has become a halfway house. Embarrassing.

He hasn’t done anything yet? What impact? I am not saying won’t he but still patiently waiting.
I don’t think our current position on the ladder and overall form at this stage would be envy of many other clubs.
Can’t honestly see the attraction. I mean clubs wanting to sign him as their head coach.

Manly has become a halfway house. Embarrassing.

Goes further than that mate, even our favourites putting themselves before the club.

Players returning early from injury for potential rep duty selection. Players demanding positional change promises in order to re-sign. Mountains of players playing out of position. Players refusing to play. Players getting offers from Union while literally regressing before our eyes. Coaches (part time) actively talking strategy with other clubs.

FMD. What's happened to the tribalism, and the passion for what it means to wear the maroon and white jersey.

****ing unbearable watching these mercenaries.

He hasn’t done anything yet? What impact? I am not saying won’t he but still patiently waiting.
I don’t think our current position on the ladder and overall form at this stage would be envy of many other clubs.
Can’t honestly see the attraction. I mean clubs wanting to sign him as their head coach.
Clubs would hire him for what he did at the Sharks. Him working with Manly is basically a gap year for him.

Goes further than that mate, even our favourites putting themselves before the club.

Players returning early from injury for potential rep duty selection. Players demanding positional change promises in order to re-sign. Mountains of players playing out of position. Players refusing to play. Players getting offers from Union while literally regressing before our eyes. Coaches (part time) actively talking strategy with other clubs.

FMD. What's happened to the tribalism, and the passion for what it means to wear the maroon and white jersey.

Fish rots from the head.

I find it confounding that some fans are willing to give Seibold a whole 3 years to build his roster, when he had that same chance at the Broncos.
That's like getting a builder to build a house for you with sh--t tools, knowing he couldn't build a good one before with better tools. Would you let him build your house.
What's even more funny is that we had the experience of Barrett, who had no 1st Grade Head coach experience and we got burnt, yet this time round we persist with someone who collected the wooden spoon with a big club and some fans love the idea of giving him the whole tenure of his contract to tinker with the roster before measuring his results. Unbelievable.

Last edited:
And very quickly we have gone from
a) Des Hasler with Hannay assistant, to
b) Des Hasler with Seibold assistant, to
c) Seibold with Flanagan assistant, to
d) Anthony 'put his poster on your fridge' Seibold

Is this not just the Trent Barrett (young SuPeRcOaCh) crap?
What's the definition of insanity again?

Scott Penn happened @Ryan Unfortunately, I don't think we will ever recover from that. The club has virtually no identifiable old-school MWSE culture anymore. Penn and Co have totally ****ed the joint over.

I don't necessarily think some of these points have legs
1. Our squad has probably been one of the most stable in the NRL (if not the most)​
2. In terms of injuries, I made a post a few weeks ago now w/ the stat comparisons and at that stage the injuries were notably 'worse' in 2022 (at least by % games played by each player). Stats also indicated we were scoring less tries and conceding more points (but small sample in 2023 at that stage). I might try update the stats later this season.​
3. To me there doesn't really appear to be any clear structure/direction? If anything it seems the attack is more conservative at this stage. We are rarely seeing our backs / edges get involved (and our backs are actually fast). As for the actual attacking stucture it just seems like we are choosing to play without a ball playing lock. This is standing out more because we also haven't found an effective ball-playing bench utility to replace Walker, and losing Schu to the halves means we have lost a ball playing back-row option.​
4. When it comes to playing top teams, in 2022 we played most in the first few rounds and had a **** to start the season. By mid year we had stabilised somewhat and similarly thumped the storm at brookvale. In recent years we have generally been highly competitive with the eels, so that's not neccessarily jumping out as a change either. The Souths game was pretty good, but there's also that Panthers game that sits quietly in the corner.​
It may not have legs to you because you have waffled on about a heap of things that are irrelevant to my post.
I like a difference of opinion, but can't see any valid points in your post at all.
In more simple terms, your not a fan of our current coaching setup, while I feel it's too early to tell.

It may not have legs to you because you have waffled on about a heap of things that are irrelevant to my post.
I like a difference of opinion, but can't see any valid points in your post at all.
In more simple terms, your not a fan of our current coaching setup, while I feel it's too early to tell.
Oh ok. Yes i did waffle on. What were your points?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't necessarily think some of these points have legs
1. Our squad has probably been one of the most stable in the NRL (if not the most)​
2. In terms of injuries, I made a post a few weeks ago now w/ the stat comparisons and at that stage the injuries were notably 'worse' in 2022 (at least by % games played by each player). Stats also indicated we were scoring less tries and conceding more points (but small sample in 2023 at that stage). I might try update the stats later this season.​
3. To me there doesn't really appear to be any clear structure/direction? If anything it seems the attack is more conservative at this stage. We are rarely seeing our backs / edges get involved (and our backs are actually fast). As for the actual attacking stucture it just seems like we are choosing to play without a ball playing lock. This is standing out more because we also haven't found an effective ball-playing bench utility to replace Walker, and losing Schu to the halves means we have lost a ball playing back-row option.​
4. When it comes to playing top teams, in 2022 we played most in the first few rounds and had a **** to start the season. By mid year we had stabilised somewhat and similarly thumped the storm at brookvale. In recent years we have generally been highly competitive with the eels, so that's not neccessarily jumping out as a change either. The Souths game was pretty good, but there's also that Panthers game that sits quietly in the corner.​
It may not have legs to you because you have waffles on about a heap of things Gat are irrelevant to my post.
In more simple terms, your not a fan of our current coaching setup, while I feel it's too early to tell.....
Oh ok. Yes i did waffle on. What were your points?
You should know, you wrote a novel on the back of it.
Great wins over Storm , Eels and winning performance vs South's
Early days in the scheme of new coaching setup.
Key injuries/outs - Turbo , Jake, Schu plus Koula, Saab, Aloiai, Garrick, Parker.....oh that's right, you feel we have had a stable team in 2023, I kind of lost interest there

It may not have legs to you because you have waffles on about a heap of things Gat are irrelevant to my post.
In more simple terms, your not a fan of our current coaching setup, while I feel it's too early to tell.....

You should know, you wrote a novel on the back of it.
Great wins over Storm , Eels and winning performance vs South's
Early days in the scheme of new coaching setup.
Key injuries/outs - Turbo , Jake, Schu plus Koula, Saab, Aloiai, Garrick, Parker.....oh that's right, you feel we have had a stable team in 2023, I kind of lost interest there
I get it, it was probably boring to read that long mess of a post.

I thought you said
1. We've had lots of multiple roster changes + injury and suspension in 2023​
2. Changes take time​
3. Manly look better this year vs top teams (for example, we beat storm convincingly and beat eels in a close game at brooky)​

But really this is all I said in that post. (ill just delete the other cause this is all i needed to say)
1. I think our roster has been fairly stable. In 2022 we had more disruptions w/ injury (but appear to be handling it worse).​
2. What changes have the current team shown? eg. with the tigers we saw in round 1 that they had a completely different intention in attack.​
3. We did have a good game vs eels and storm this year, but we've also had a good game vs eels and storm in recent years too, so is it really a change?​

He had his chance at Brisbane with a greater pool of talent, what makes you think he's going to do any better here.
Where does it say I think he’ll do better?I wasn’t keen on his appointment from day 1 but I’m not going call for his head after 12 matches of a three year deal.And if you think Penn is going to sack him after this season,let alone 14 rounds,then you’re sorely mistaken.

I get it, it was probably boring to read that long mess of a post.

I thought you said
1. We've had multiple roster changes + injury and suspension​
2. Changes take time​
3. Manly look better this year vs top teams (for example, we beat storm convincingly and beat eels in a close game at brooky)​

But really this is all I said in that post. (ill just delete the other cause this is all i needed to say)
1. I think our roster has been fairly stable and if 2022 was judged so harshly, I don't think we've had worse injury problems compared to 2022​
2. What changes have the current team shown? eg. with the tigers we saw in round 1 that they had a completely different intention in attack.​
3. We did have a good game vs eels and storm this year, but we've also had a good game vs eels and storm in recent years too, so is it really a change?​
I'm done Champ
Just difference of opinion which is healthy
I certainly don't think we are on some amazing new improvement - more we are not as bad as some say and better than others say.....long way to go and feel by round 20 will be a clearer picture....for good or bad.

I'm done Champ
Just difference of opinion which is healthy
I certainly don't think we are on some amazing new improvement - more we are not as bad as some say and better than others say.....long way to go and feel by round 20 will be a clearer picture....for good or bad.
Ok didn't mean to make you so bothered + wasn't meaning to come across the way I have to you.

Last week vs knights was the first time in a long time that I forgot the game was on and only put the tv on with 20 mins to go. It's pretty clear i've lost a lot of passion for the team this year and this had made me realise I probably shouldn't be posting on here if that just drags others down. I have passion for 'my version' of manly and that probably manifests in bad ways whenever the current version isn't matching it.

In saying that I am a bit confused by the 'just a difference of opinion which is healthy' line. All I was doing was bringing up a different opinion. It was long. Yeah, I challenged some points but (unless im completely tone-deaf) I didn't try shut you down from responding to it. If anything I was just waiting for you to throw some more points back at me. My second post was intentionally blunt because you pointed out the first one was a boring ramble (which it was).

Ok didn't mean to make you so bothered + wasn't meaning to come across the way I have to you.

Last week vs knights was the first time in a long time that I forgot the game was on and only put the tv on with 20 mins to go. It's pretty clear i've lost a lot of passion for the team this year and this had made me realise I probably shouldn't be posting on here if that just drags others down. I have passion for 'my version' of manly and that probably manifests in bad ways whenever the current version isn't matching it.

In saying that I am a bit confused by the 'just a difference of opinion which is healthy' line. All I was doing was bringing up a different opinion. It was long. Yeah, I challenged some points but (unless im completely tone-deaf) I didn't try shut you down from responding to it. If anything I was just waiting for you to throw some more points back at me. My second post was intentionally blunt because you pointed out the first one was a boring ramble (which it was).
No insult here mate, just seemed we are doing circles and have a strong opinion on differing angles.
Im good mate - in fact we are good......my main point is, let's just give a bit more time with a healthy side (hopefully) and see where we land.....and in all honesty, keep voicing your opinion, as it makes the site interesting and not boring and at the end of the day, we are all on the same team and to have a different perspective on things is a good thing for all of us, as the real answers are likely a combination of all these posts and threads.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4