The Send off rule

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
Dunno, reckon that is still a send off 25 years ago
No way… if he drove upwards into the chin then maybe… he lowered the shoulder, lowered the eyes and then Walsh continued to come downwards…

It’s a send off now but not a snowflakes that he is sent for that in the 90s…. Actually, probably pre-Gallen he stays on the field….

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
No way… if he drove upwards into the chin then maybe… he lowered the shoulder, lowered the eyes and then Walsh continued to come downwards…

It’s a send off now but not a snowflakes that he is sent for that in the 90s…. Actually, probably pre-Gallen he stays on the field….

For context this was the first send off in a State of Origin game...

Pete W

Bencher
At the risk of sounding unpopular... for mine, that was no bloody send off. 10min bin at most.

Playing contact sport comes with inherent risk. There was no foul play, malice intent, etc. Reckless? Possibly - that's what penalties, the sin bin, and match review committee are for. It looked spectacular, and unfortunate for Walsh - the fact is, concussion will always be around. Despite best intentions, it can't be penalised out of the game

Dion Johnson

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
At the risk of sounding unpopular... for mine, that was no bloody send off. 10min bin at most.

Playing contact sport comes with inherent risk. There was no foul play, malice intent, etc. Reckless? Possibly - that's what penalties, the sin bin, and match review committee are for. It looked spectacular, and unfortunate for Walsh - the fact is, concussion will always be around. Despite best intentions, it can't be penalised out of the game
Totally agree, the MRC graded it as a 2, it was all a reflex decision in my opinion, they didn’t take time to review it…

XV-1

First Grader
20240606_065903.jpg

Eagle 1

First Grader
New South Wales and Sydney Roosters centre Joseph-Aukuso Sua'ali'i will miss 4-5 matches with a Grade 2 Reckless High Tackle charge.

4 weeks with the early plea of guilty.
Fair enough, in his defense tho, if Walsh stays in his normal standing position he would of got hit in the middle of his body. Suallii's take no prisoners style of play will have to be tempered a bit, especially in the rah rah game.

MW66

Reserve Grader
Came in hot and the onus is on the tackler now days. Has been the case for 12 months. No doubt Walsh slipped a little before the tackle however the way he came in only left one outcome.

Imagine he was not sent off. What next? AND as some have said if that was on a Manly player we would be wanting blood.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Old Mate Niles, who ran into the back of a bus as a kid - was certainly more passionate and animated than I can remember during his stint with Manly - when he gave Suaalii a serve.

Thanks again Bozo.

Last edited:

Tragic Eagle

Tragic
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Since we have had the interchange rule and 4 on the bench and the evolution of the game into a six again Vlady ball fest, the send rule s a significantly imbalanced penalty, Sure the player should go but the squad should be remain 13 on the field with one less interchange bench. The reason is that people pay a lot of their hard eared to watch a contest not a contest destroyed by a early send off.. That contest last night was over in 7 minutes. That was not worth the price of admission.

Once Was Brissie Kid

Reserve Grader
I still reckon even in the 1980s that tackle would have got sent off.

But either way, by the force he decided to bring to the tackle, it was Suaalii and not the referee that made a send off a possibility. It was Suaalii's decision that risked ruining the game.

Anyway that tackle took Walsh out for the rest of the game. Whether Suaalii was sent off, binned or left out there, the game was for a lot of fans ruined by Walsh not being there.

Mal Cochrane

I'm not really Mal Cochrane...
It's like sending a driver to jail for manslaughter for hitting someone who walled out in front of the car and gave them no chance to avoid it.

Pete W

Bencher

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It looked terrible but let’s face it Walsh fell into the tackle , if he wasn’t falling it would have been applauded as the hit of the night.

I think the ref was between a rock & a hard place.

Just a pity it destroyed the game but he probably deserved to be sent off.

Shoe1

Journey Man
That’s the objective when your defending, smash the ball carrier, Liam Martin’s effort on Coates, lined him up and smashed him, great hit, if Walsh didn’t slip, Suaalii’s tackle would of been a great hit. Said it before ref didn’t bother with it in the run of play, because there was nothing illegal in it, accidental, unfortunate, rooted the game.
I agree up to a point, but Walsh had already passed the ball. It was late, high and reckless.

I have watched Suaalii a bit over the last year, he is pretty dirty, and tries to be a “tough guy”. He made a really dangerous situation with that tackle, even if Walsh didn’t slip it was still outrageous.

Scorpio

Armchair Expert
Spot the difference 🤣🤣🤣.

Walsh's head drops in height only as he runs/turns/pivots to pass the ball... his right foot only slips a fraction of a second before Sua'ali'i hits him. So even if he doesn't slip he was still going to get hit high and after he passed the ball. There isn't much that mitigates that IMO.

Given how hard he hit him directly in the head, it's a send off every day of the week... it put the result beyond doubt and I'm sure hitting him in the head wasn't intentional, but it was the correct decision.

Eagle 1

First Grader
Walsh's head drops in height only as he runs/turns/pivots to pass the ball... his right foot only slips a fraction of a second before Sua'ali'i hits him. So even if he doesn't slip he was still going to get hit high and after he passed the ball. There isn't much that mitigates that IMO.

Given how hard he hit him directly in the head, it's a send off every day of the week... it put the result beyond doubt and I'm sure hitting him in the head wasn't intentional, but it was the correct decision.
Yeah, at first I thought Walsh slipped, but you are right Walsh pivoted. Suallii came in to hot for the spectacular tackle, but turned out to be a spectacular fail instead.

mickqld

Sea Eagle forever
Tipping Member
Suaali is an idiot. Poor timing. Completely missed hitting the little c*nt legally.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
15 12 3 113 28
15 10 5 108 24
15 10 5 77 24
16 10 6 195 22
15 8 7 64 20
15 8 7 40 20
16 9 7 2 20
15 8 7 -30 20
15 7 7 28 19