The season of my discontent ...

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Signing in today ... with the only thing worth looking forward to was a Schadenfreude pleasure of reading posts lolling at Parra got me to ponder .. so

Apologies for introducing a negative thread ... (it's not my go) ... but perhaps creating an outlet for my disappointment and the resulting counselling from fellow Silvertails will be prove cathartic in nature.

I began the season with great hope and expectation ... not of a Premiership .. but of the turning of the tide back to greatness .. Dessie's back, coming off a 6th place in 2019 ... confident of a top 4 finish with a bullet for 2021 ...

So ... to use at MarkfromBrissie's word of the month ... I will purge my emotions by listing in no particular order my disappointments ..

1) .. The season ending injuries to Turbo and Walker ..
2) .. The failure of a conclusion to the Fainu conspiracy ..
3) .. The inability of our back-up players to rise to the occasion ..
4) .. The seeming inability of Dessie and the players to adapt to the new style of footy ..
5) .. The lack of coaching and opportunity given to Guacomole and Schuster ... both would have been better with more games.
6) .. The moderate impact of Levi ..
7) .. All other injuries ...
8) .. The failure of Suli to mature into a consistent 1st grade beast ..
9) .. The seeming failure of our game structures and defence ..
10) .. Our seeming lack of heart ... many games we were just not Manly ..
11) .. The failure of Croker to go to the next level ..
12 .. Albert Hopoate ...

That's enough ... I'm depressing myself ... and I know there have been some positives ... and I am and always will be confident about next year ... Fix it Dessie ...

Fair enough young Harry ... but remember there are always more than one factor involved ... a dummy half is only as good as the bloke who is calling or receiving the pass or playing the ball .. A slow play the ball with a receiver either a metre too far forward or a metre too far back will always result in an average performance ... Levi may have not been great .. but our forwards and lack of a consistent 5/8th didn't help ..

Given the year Manly had, not winning the wooden spoon and ending the club's unblemished record since 1947 was a positive.

For all of the troubles Manly had, I look at Easts and the Eels and laugh. For all their season long patting themselves on the back, their season lasted just 14 days longer than Manly.

It was a season of discontent for all Manly fans, no doubt.
5 of your 12 points are matters of opinion I do not share, but those issues have all been canvassed ad infinitum, so I won't add to my own discontent by going over them again.
We suffered more than many clubs through the lack of second tier competition because we more than most were reliant on inexperienced players developing in order to give us some reasonable depth. They didn't get a proper chance to develop.
Given that depth issue, losing 3/4 of our spine for the bulk of the year was always likely to sink us.
As to next year? I'll wait and see, hopefully at least there will be a second tier comp, if so I'm confident we'll do a bit better but I'll keep my optimism within bounds next time!

Fair enough young Harry ... but remember there are always more than one factor involved ... a dummy half is only as good as the bloke who is calling or receiving the pass or playing the ball .. A slow play the ball with a receiver either a metre too far forward or a metre too far back will always result in an average performance ... Levi may have not been great .. but our forwards and lack of a consistent 5/8th didn't help ..
You're certainly not wrong. I agree, there's no use in having a scapegoat to cover up other issues. I do genuinely feel he is a liability though (and probably an egomaniac given his stubbornness/arrogance on and off-field). Glad we've moved him on as a step toward the solution. The other part of the solution is making sure we have some suited dummy halves at the club.

Signing in today ... with the only thing worth looking forward to was a Schadenfreude pleasure of reading posts lolling at Parra got me to ponder .. so

Apologies for introducing a negative thread ... (it's not my go) ... but perhaps creating an outlet for my disappointment and the resulting counselling from fellow Silvertails will be prove cathartic in nature.

I began the season with great hope and expectation ... not of a Premiership .. but of the turning of the tide back to greatness .. Dessie's back, coming off a 6th place in 2019 ... confident of a top 4 finish with a bullet for 2021 ...

So ... to use at MarkfromBrissie's word of the month ... I will purge my emotions by listing in no particular order my disappointments ..

4) .. The seeming inability of Dessie and the players to adapt to the new style of footy ..
5) .. The lack of coaching and opportunity given to Guacomole and Schuster ... both would have been better with more games.
12 .. Albert Hopoate ...

That's enough ... I'm depressing myself ... and I know there have been some positives ... and I am and always will be confident about next year ... Fix it Dessie ...
So apart from that, you were overall pretty happy with the season then?

12 .. Albert Hopoate ...

It is sobering what you right. We might laugh at our enemies but it does not hide our own shortcomings that you listed above. We have a heck of a lot of work to do to get back to the top 4 and it starts by working hard, having a good culture so no dickheads and giving young players a chance to grow and improve.

We have the ingredients! now we need to get it right!

I've said it in other threads and I will say it again... im pretty happy with how this season played out once turbo went down...
Start of year I thought we were a top 8 chance, but turbo going down long term sunk that thinking immediately.. but I'm glad the guys that didn't turn up got called out.. the garricks, the parkers, the crokers, the tafuas... it was made very clear these blokes don't have it when it comes to first grade footy, and HOPEFULLY changes will be made over the next season or 2 to move them on..
You CANNOT win the comp with 1 good fullback carrying average wingers and centres... they ALL need to contribute, and until we field a quality backline, instead of just a quality full back, we won't be winning anything but possibly our first spoon

I did a giant Richard the III this morning , must have been that extra hot lamb curry last night!!

Nah , think it’s that stupid brown rice I’m eating these days , tastes like ****
Shakespeare lived on the stuff

518dguQUjHL.jpg

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4