The rub of the green!!

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Clearly in all our eyes we don't get this, and haven't for some time.

Why is that so???

***Ref Bias

***Just the way it is

***We are an ill disciplined team

***We push the boundaries more than other teams

***We are just a bunch of whingers and it's coming back to bight us on the bum.

OR...a combination of all of the above.....maybe, who really knows BUT it has cost us some games this year....in fact it cost us the win V the Bunnies, the win v the Chooks, almost the win V St Merge and maybe the result last Monday would have been different.

Whatever it is we need to either fix it, or play 20% better than the rest to make up the difference.

I am interested in peoples "non emotional" thoughts (and by that I know we are ALL one eyed and think the pink cheats are against us BUT open your minds to other areas as well).

Personally I think we are as much at fault in the manner we approach some games (especially the big ones) as any other single thing....I know I will get howled down for that comment, but can't help my view.

So over to you guys (and girls)

Just talking the other day about how well our players react to the rubbish calls (apart from Fozzie on Monday, but that was actually quite funny), it is very 2008. Can you imagine one of our players getting away with the tizzy fit that gurt kidley threw in the knights game on the weekend, sounded like a demented teenage girl, all he needed was a handbag.

You've posed some very interesting questions, Mark.
I am convinced some refs are biased against us. Against Melbourne Checcin refereed only one team. We may have been guity of offending, but Melbourne were never pinged for similar offences. Did they cop an "ïnside 10-m" all night?
I can't imagine refs have a set against our captain. He would be liked by all, and approaches them with respect. I can understand that Ennis and Farah get refs offside.
I do cringe at times over the stupid infringements some of our players do, especially late in the tackle count. But if we are serial offenders, as the penalty counts seem to show, then I'll have to leave that to the analytical expect, Technical Coach.

It can probably be attributed to the physical style of game that we play but I think I'm correct in saying that we were the most penalised team in the competition when we won in 08 and 11.

It is the same story this year. At the time of this post we have conceded more penalties than any other team in the competition.

Yep would not mind hearing TC's version on this.

I think my questions are valid, we DO have a problem and if we think we are going to win games with whatever is happening continuing I reckon we need to think again...oh yeah we will win some, and maybe a lot BUT will they be the ones that count??

Firm believer that you make your own "rub of the green".
When the attitude is on in any game its almost like theres 20 Manly players opposing 10 opposition players. The 'Lucky Bounce" ect when the fact is , without a super chase noone would be there to cash in on it.
Every tackle has 3-4 defenders- half breaks have 3-4 support players- you make your own LUCK.
As for refs its no good retracing 1 incident as losing the game, I have seen many games Manly have lost the penalty count & tough calls yet won convincingly by dominating & having superior intensity - something Manly has based its success on over the past 5 - 6 years.
I will say, the speed of the play the ball in the modern game DOES lay the platform to victory & both Storm/Roosters exploit it BETTER than most, particularly Friend in the recent encounter. Fact is we only count those extra seconds We are held down or their FLAT passes overlooking anything grey that helps the Seaeagles cause.
Understand the thread totally Mark & have at times almost lost a couple of tellies but realistically, its who can stretch the refs tolerance better & really - attitude on the day usually will set up victory. Looking to blame refs all day is negative - take the bull by the horns & ride that fu**er to victory buddy.

Too many rule changes and interpretations are changed after Manly games to be a coincidence. There is no way matai should have done time from the souths game. There was more to that

The problem with some of those games mentioned is that not only are manly penalised but souths and melbourne seem to have better runns than all other teams. How slater has escaped suspension and even citing so many times in his career defies belief

But no way is the whole league against Manly. The whole sport from top to toe is one big leak so it would get out there.

But I am also of the opinion that some refs hate us.But we have some bad habits
we hold players down and watch the ref or our defensive line while we do it. Not a good look

We rarely get penalties for the other team holding us down or the other team in the 10. I would love to see these stats for all teams and all teams against Manly.

Maybe we should start collecting our own stats on some pertinent info to get a real idea. Including individual refs

I no believer in any kind of conspiracy by the refs etc

I have a better understanding of why we get so many ordinary calls now though, after hearing Harrigan comments after our games against the Dragons and Roosters

After the Dragons game, there was discussion about why we copped so many penalties and Harrigan chimed in saying that is how Manly play and it is ingrained in their culture and it has been that way for 20+ years etc.
That's a concerning comment from a guy that has been running the refs for a few years

But the worst was to come after the Roosters game, where he was commenting on refs "doing their homework" on certain players. He then went on to use Watmough as an example saying how he is a "2-3 penalties a game player" and if he was involved in a tackle and the ball came free, they would penalize him regardless of actually seeing the indiscretion or not, because he "didn't want the player to get one over" him.

Now on top of that we can only imaging what they are told about Matai, even King in that area

So over the years of Harrigans reign, this is what all these refs have been taught to do and is what is ingrained in their heads. The Roosters get a similar deal penalty count wise as we do

After he made these comments Sterlo jumped all over him but Harrigan wasn't backing down at all

The number 1 rule of refereeing is ruling on what you see, Harrigan had a rule on probability style and that is a huge concern

Mark, you are asking on here if we get a fair go? Haven't you read for long enough by some posters on here that everyone's out to get us. Starting with the refs, touch judges, judiciary, Channel 9, NRL, video refs, Telegraph, Herald, NSW Government and Brookvale council. Man, it's an absolute worldwide vendetta against us as mentioned on here again and again and again.

GE there was a podcast going around with the audio of that convo, was a worrying thing to listen too but Sterlo wasn't backing down challenging him on all those points, if I come across the link again I will post it up for you

Did anyone else have Alanis Morrisette singing in their heads as Darren mentioned things that get mentioned again and again and again and again ?

I will put it this way, if you bet 10000 bucks on the team that plays against us you would think the refs are giving Manly the rub of the green ;) Every supporter base thinks they are hard done by, it human nature.

So true Torana, the Storm fans still go on about Cam Smith getting suspended because the NRL wanted us to win the gf!!

Just imagine how awesome we would be if we got our fair share of the call and penalty counts

My opinion is that 2v (or any head coach) should coach the players to have a mindset of going onto the field to be better than the opposing 17 and the refs. You expect bad calls and when they come you were expecting them and in the back of your mind you know you are better than them and they don't carry any weight but actually propell your belief onward. When you win a game the coach should take a moment to point out the refs errors/ bias and point out that it did not stop victory ( it now becomes part of the players beliefs) then next time when we are losing at half time because we are being chechined the coach reminds the players that we are better than this and have overcome it before and victory under these circumstances is the normal. You never feed excuses.

Mark from Brisbane said:
***Ref Bias (80%)

***Just the way it is (0%)

***We are an ill disciplined team (5%)

***We push the boundaries more than other teams (6%)

***We are just a bunch of whingers and it's coming back to bight us on the bum (1%)

*** Hangover from the days of Bill Harrigan, the bloody mongrel (8%)

yep, its got truth.

here is the rank of refs favorites based on the average difference so far this year. In the first 5 rounds we were apparently far more disciplined or it could be the refs are doing their homework as the year goes on and know who/where to look in order to find them.

Cronulla 1.7
Nth Qld 1.1
Gold Coast 1.1
Canberra 0.7
Penrith 0.5
Brisbane 0.4
Canterbury 0.4
Newcastle 0.4
Melbourne 0.3
Souths 0
St George -0.2
Warriors -0.5
Wests -1.1
Parramatta -1.4
Manly -1.6
Easts -1.8

Kiwi Eagle said:
I no believer in any kind of conspiracy by the refs etc

I have a better understanding of why we get so many ordinary calls now though, after hearing Harrigan comments after our games against the Dragons and Roosters

After the Dragons game, there was discussion about why we copped so many penalties and Harrigan chimed in saying that is how Manly play and it is ingrained in their culture and it has been that way for 20+ years etc.
That's a concerning comment from a guy that has been running the refs for a few years

But the worst was to come after the Roosters game, where he was commenting on refs "doing their homework" on certain players. He then went on to use Watmough as an example saying how he is a "2-3 penalties a game player" and if he was involved in a tackle and the ball came free, they would penalize him regardless of actually seeing the indiscretion or not, because he "didn't want the player to get one over" him.

Now on top of that we can only imaging what they are told about Matai, even King in that area

So over the years of Harrigans reign, this is what all these refs have been taught to do and is what is ingrained in their heads. The Roosters get a similar deal penalty count wise as we do

After he made these comments Sterlo jumped all over him but Harrigan wasn't backing down at all

The number 1 rule of refereeing is ruling on what you see, Harrigan had a rule on probability style and that is a huge concern

The link below is to the podcast where Harrigan admits to refs doing homework on certain teams and players . Sterlo did well to pull him up . Most interesting stuff is in the last 15 minutes .

**** It's the Round 9 Manly vs Roosters one that goes for 45.30 *****

http://www.triplem.com.au/sydney/sport/nrl/podcast/

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4