The return of the Prince

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
He looks in great shape, Duffman clearly just jealous.

Not jealous at all, still one of my favourite Manly players of all time. Maybe it was the camera angle of the photo or just not having to train so hard these days but he does look a few kilos heavier (not overweight), I can't talk as I weigh a bit more compared to my 20's.

Can't get through the paywall to see him but a great article on one of our all time greats.
Just love the fact he's doing well.
What a champion who has overcome more than most in his life.
Hail the Snake ...

Bypass the Telecrap paywall is easy ......... stuff giving Rupert money.
Just use Google Chrome with the Antipaywall extension or just put outline.com/ in front of the web address.

Example:
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/fde4d17f42b8edb505d93d79cb92efa8 (will not give you access)

outline.com/ in front (bypass paywall)

Great to see Brett back. One of our all time greats and was sad when he left under such physical and emotional concerns. Now if we could have Watmough bury the hatchet and Glen S. and Kennedy to return to the family. The arrival of Des has been not just a great move to help Manly back to the top, but has been a great healing initiative. Whether Des succeeds or not in getting Manly to the finals this year, its just so magnificent that he has drawn the family back together. For a while there I thought Manly were on a self destruct path that could end the club. Barrett could have been good if all was well in the club, but it was way too big a task for an outsider and one so inexperienced. We needed Des back and I hope he stays after his coaching career in administration with 2V.

ps Mr Penn. Time for 2V also to be welcomed back with open arms. Never healthy for families to fracture.

Glad he has come back to coach, a shame he could have been brought in earlier but I guess he needed time away given everyone else involved in the Glenn situation had already left.

Nice situation to be in having a backs coach, big improvement from the tight arses the Penns were previous years

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/2a1b69fd00fa903d991af74ad871fc3c

Brett Stewart shows courage to speak honestly about his NRL exit

Brett Stewart showed plenty of pluck and bravery over his 233-game NRL career for Manly.

Weighing in as light as 86kg at times, he was fearless on the field. But no amount of on-field nerve or boldness could match what he did this week.

An explosive interview with The Daily Telegraph took true courage.

Stewart wanted the world to know of his anguish at being fined and stood down by the NRL, before he had faced court over sexual assault allegations in 2009 — for which he was found not guilty.

One Manly official described it as a “cleansing of the soul.”

Stewart said he was “heartbroken”.

“There will always be something burning inside me. It is too big of a thing in my life just to block out. I could sit here and say I’ve blocked it out but I’d be lying. It affected me then and is probably still affecting me now,” he said.

“I don’t trust many people any more where before it happened I was pretty open and talked to anyone. Now I’m a bit more cut off, a closed book.”

This was a man who wanted to unburden himself, put a human face to a confronting issue He knew it would cause headlines, he knew it would unsettle the NRL — he did it anyway.

It was commendable. He was honest, open and forthright in the interview; that meant more than any frowns from the NRL.

Stewart wanted other players facing allegations to know they had an ally. He wasn’t prejudging their innocence or guilt — he just wanted them to have a voice.

He rang Des Hasler on Thursday to seek the Manly coach’s thoughts on the story. Hasler has been a genuine mentor to Stewart now for 16 years.

The Sea Eagles coach asked whether Stewart felt better now that he has finally told his story.

Stewart claimed he didn’t necessarily feel better but knew the story would help other players facing judicial cases.

Confessing such pain in public can be difficult but he pushed through it.

That’s guts.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/27566f7e9bf106bf35f456285733b416

Sympathy for Brett Stewart but Peter Beattie backs no-fault stand down rule.
ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie feels “enormous sympathy” for Brett Stewart – but still won’t back down on the NRL’s controversial no-fault stand down rule.

Stewart opened up in an explosive interview with The Daily Telegraph on Thursday stating he was “heartbroken” at being suspended by the NRL over a 2009 sexual assault allegation before the matter reached court.

He was ultimately found not guilty.

In a remarkable interview Stewart said: “There will always be something burning inside me. It is too big of a thing in my life just to block out. I could sit here and say I’ve blocked it out but I’d be lying.”

“It affected me then and is probably still affecting me now. I don’t trust many people any more where before it happened I was pretty open and talked to anyone. Now I’m a bit more cut off, a closed book.”

The NRL remains under scrutiny for standing down St George Illawarra star Jack de Belin (sexual assault), Manly’s Dylan Walker (domestic violence) and Penrith’s Tyrone May (filming and disseminating sexual acts).

Beattie had already read the article when contacted on Thursday by The Daily Telegraph, who sought his thoughts on Stewart’s emotional comments.

“I don’t want to comment on the past – I wasn’t here at that time – but obviously people have an enormous amount of sympathy for what happened to him. Let me say that from the beginning,” Beattie told The Daily Telegraph.

“Of course we feel for him. I think any fair-minded person would.”

Stewart openly questioned why the NRL would introduce an automatic stand down rule for a serious charge before the matter had reached court.

The former Manly star fullback even suggested the NRL may not be considering player welfare in implementing such a policy.

“This rule has been bought in for what we believe is in the best interests of the game,” Beattie told The Daily Telegraph. “I full appreciate this is going to be controversial and there will be people who support it and people who don’t.

“But we have to act in the best interests of the game and sometimes making the right decision is a tough decision but the commission is unanimous in believing it’s the right thing for the game.

“I saw he (Stewart) made that comment (about player welfare). This is one of the reasons why the commission made the decision. Players can continue to train with clubs and that is absolutely for player welfare.

“And they are paid. We’re not for one minute suggesting they shouldn’t be paid. We have thought very carefully about player welfare.

“These decisions are never going to be popular but we are doing our best for the future of rugby league.”

NRL players need to ‘pull their socks up’

In the interview, Stewart said the NRL should allow a court to determine whether a player is guilty or innocent before being suspended.

“I have been there. I can’t speak on anyone’s behalf – or on Jack de Belin’s behalf – but I can speak from what I went through. How the NRL thinks they can do that…this is me talking … it baffles me,” Stewart said.

“No one really knows what has happened. My thinking would be to let the accused go through court and let them then find out whether he is guilty or not. How can you penalise him before he has been court.

“He will be trialled twice. You’d think they would have learned a few things from my case. From the outside looking in, it doesn’t seem like they have.

“I don’t know what it’s going to take before they put the player first. I know it’s a serious charge and has the NRL thought about the players’ welfare? I’m not sure.”

Manly officials preferred not to comment on Thursday.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...e/news-story/27566f7e9bf106bf35f456285733b416

Sympathy for Brett Stewart but Peter Beattie backs no-fault stand down rule.
ARL Commission chairman Peter Beattie feels “enormous sympathy” for Brett Stewart – but still won’t back down on the NRL’s controversial no-fault stand down rule.

Stewart opened up in an explosive interview with The Daily Telegraph on Thursday stating he was “heartbroken” at being suspended by the NRL over a 2009 sexual assault allegation before the matter reached court.

He was ultimately found not guilty.

In a remarkable interview Stewart said: “There will always be something burning inside me. It is too big of a thing in my life just to block out. I could sit here and say I’ve blocked it out but I’d be lying.”

“It affected me then and is probably still affecting me now. I don’t trust many people any more where before it happened I was pretty open and talked to anyone. Now I’m a bit more cut off, a closed book.”

The NRL remains under scrutiny for standing down St George Illawarra star Jack de Belin (sexual assault), Manly’s Dylan Walker (domestic violence) and Penrith’s Tyrone May (filming and disseminating sexual acts).

Beattie had already read the article when contacted on Thursday by The Daily Telegraph, who sought his thoughts on Stewart’s emotional comments.

“I don’t want to comment on the past – I wasn’t here at that time – but obviously people have an enormous amount of sympathy for what happened to him. Let me say that from the beginning,” Beattie told The Daily Telegraph.

“Of course we feel for him. I think any fair-minded person would.”

Stewart openly questioned why the NRL would introduce an automatic stand down rule for a serious charge before the matter had reached court.

The former Manly star fullback even suggested the NRL may not be considering player welfare in implementing such a policy.

“This rule has been bought in for what we believe is in the best interests of the game,” Beattie told The Daily Telegraph. “I full appreciate this is going to be controversial and there will be people who support it and people who don’t.

“But we have to act in the best interests of the game and sometimes making the right decision is a tough decision but the commission is unanimous in believing it’s the right thing for the game.

“I saw he (Stewart) made that comment (about player welfare). This is one of the reasons why the commission made the decision. Players can continue to train with clubs and that is absolutely for player welfare.

“And they are paid. We’re not for one minute suggesting they shouldn’t be paid. We have thought very carefully about player welfare.

“These decisions are never going to be popular but we are doing our best for the future of rugby league.”

NRL players need to ‘pull their socks up’

In the interview, Stewart said the NRL should allow a court to determine whether a player is guilty or innocent before being suspended.

“I have been there. I can’t speak on anyone’s behalf – or on Jack de Belin’s behalf – but I can speak from what I went through. How the NRL thinks they can do that…this is me talking … it baffles me,” Stewart said.

“No one really knows what has happened. My thinking would be to let the accused go through court and let them then find out whether he is guilty or not. How can you penalise him before he has been court.

“He will be trialled twice. You’d think they would have learned a few things from my case. From the outside looking in, it doesn’t seem like they have.

“I don’t know what it’s going to take before they put the player first. I know it’s a serious charge and has the NRL thought about the players’ welfare? I’m not sure.”

Manly officials preferred not to comment on Thursday.

Beattie says allowing players to train with the clubs is due to player welfare, but the argument can be made that that doesn't do much. Coaches need available players to run the set plays so obviously de belin isn't going to be involved in that aspect, etc, and the player is reminded that he can't play every day at training. So I'm not sure it's as simple as saying "Oh they can train with their team-mates and they get paid so it's all sweet."

Though I feel Beattie is so out of his depth at the moment I guess we should be happy he roughly knows the Rugby League is a team sport.

Great to see Brett back. One of our all time greats and was sad when he left under such physical and emotional concerns. Now if we could have Watmough bury the hatchet and Glen S. and Kennedy to return to the family. The arrival of Des has been not just a great move to help Manly back to the top, but has been a great healing initiative. Whether Des succeeds or not in getting Manly to the finals this year, its just so magnificent that he has drawn the family back together. For a while there I thought Manly were on a self destruct path that could end the club. Barrett could have been good if all was well in the club, but it was way too big a task for an outsider and one so inexperienced. We needed Des back and I hope he stays after his coaching career in administration with 2V.

ps Mr Penn. Time for 2V also to be welcomed back with open arms. Never healthy for families to fracture.

B.K still has a good relationship with the Manly Club according to his reported comments last year in ‘something I read’

On that subject..
It gets harder and harder to imagine BK’s face without picturing Paul Macgregor.
I swear Mary’s mug has replaced BK’s in my memory bank

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6