The Postcode Wars

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
Premium Member
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I was struggling as to where to post this but thought it significant after the year we've had with postcode signs and the whole Manase nightmare so I've just made this thread and, of course, mods can move it if you think it's more general.

Tonight's Four Corners did a good story on the postcode wars out west and how these kids with their gangs are ultimately foot soldiers for organised crime drug networks and distribution.

It all seems pretty hideous, Here's the link:

Last edited:
I didn't see it last night - but I read the article on ABC. I literally had the current club challenges in the back of my mind as I read it - it is incredible to think that this has grown over time in Western Sydney.

It shouldn't be a surprise really.... I have been lucky to live in a number of cities and countries,. and I have always held a basic theory on Sydney:
The people of Sydney don't live in 'Sydney'. They live in their suburb. 'I'm from the northern beaches' or 'i'm from the eastern suburbs' or 'i'm from the west' would be what people say - not 'im from Sydney'.

I believe Sydney is just a bunch of smaller geographical areas, rather than a city as such. people identify with their local area and sub-culture. I don't identify as being from Sydney - I was always from the northern beaches.

It's not uncommon - but it also isn't really the case in all cities. In Melbourne (where i now live) the great division seems to come more from 'where did you go to school' than where do you live. A curious thing.... maybe the absence of a proper coastline and east:west divide has meant a more fluid culture across regions.

Anyways, I am rambling. I lived in Dublin, London and hong Kong too for the record....

My point - I have ALWAYS believed the Manly club represents manly Warringah. Local juniors (regardless of cultural backgrounds or anything stupid like that) should ALWAYS be nurtured, fostered, supported and ultimately groomed to play for our team.
Upon reflection - i don't like the Blacktown model. I would rather we did it the hard way, recruited from within, and if that means a smaller nursery and us having to focus on providing better coaching and support to local yougsters, then so be it!

I didn't see it last night - but I read the article on ABC. I literally had the current club challenges in the back of my mind as I read it - it is incredible to think that this has grown over time in Western Sydney.

It shouldn't be a surprise really.... I have been lucky to live in a number of cities and countries,. and I have always held a basic theory on Sydney:
The people of Sydney don't live in 'Sydney'. They live in their suburb. 'I'm from the northern beaches' or 'i'm from the eastern suburbs' or 'i'm from the west' would be what people say - not 'im from Sydney'.

I believe Sydney is just a bunch of smaller geographical areas, rather than a city as such. people identify with their local area and sub-culture. I don't identify as being from Sydney - I was always from the northern beaches.

It's not uncommon - but it also isn't really the case in all cities. In Melbourne (where i now live) the great division seems to come more from 'where did you go to school' than where do you live. A curious thing.... maybe the absence of a proper coastline and east:west divide has meant a more fluid culture across regions.

Anyways, I am rambling. I lived in Dublin, London and hong Kong too for the record....

My point - I have ALWAYS believed the Manly club represents manly Warringah. Local juniors (regardless of cultural backgrounds or anything stupid like that) should ALWAYS be nurtured, fostered, supported and ultimately groomed to play for our team.
Upon reflection - i don't like the Blacktown model. I would rather we did it the hard way, recruited from within, and if that means a smaller nursery and us having to focus on providing better coaching and support to local yougsters, then so be it!
I think most cities are relatively the same.

When I first arrived in Brizvegas I lived in the western suburbs ( probably the best area in Brisbane other than a couple of very ritzy inner city suburbs ) . Then we have the “ north side “ and where I live now the “ south side “.

North side is very much “ Nappy Valley “ whereas the Southside is either “ Boganville” or where I live along the water “ Boomerville “.

And I do agree up here it’s very VERY much where you went to school too.

So really postcodes affect a lot of things , particularly the socio economic conditions of people living in that suburb and the likelihood of “ gang activity “.

And ethnicity plays a huge part in everything as well.

Kids and their postcode wars ,I originally thought it read "Prostate wars"
but that must be later on in life.

Call me ignorant (or old), but what's this finger signage, revealing your group.

Say, for Brookvale, 2100, do you sign "100" or "00" or "2" plus "100"?

Finger " signage" used to mean a whole different thing! 🖕🤘👍👎

I could write a book about that , I’m still “ at war “.
And we are all by your side buddy !
war history GIF

There used to be turf wars in the 80's at North Narra Beach, when the 2107 boys came to Surf 2101 it was on like donkey kong.

That was actually really interesting to read

I moved to melbourne for four years and it struck me that what you said is true

When they asked me where I was from I'd say Northern Beaches, sometimes if I couldn't be bothered going into any depth i'd simplify it to Sydney but I never really believed that in a genuine way.

Also I remember finding it weird that the kids there seemed to care about the public vs private school thing. To me it was pretty irrelevant and petty. I guess the Northern-Beaches/Eastern-Suburbs/Western-suburbs thing is just our equivalent (for reasons you mentioned).

It's hard to imagine the drill rap gangs and the boys in the hood interviewed on the 4 Corners are busy studying to be accountants or vets, or even working long hours in apprenticeships. More likely many of them are not only unemployed but high school dropouts without any immediate prospects. Hence spending their time patrolling their turf with their 'brothers' to fight their 'wars' against rival area gangs, which at least gives them some purpose and something to belong to. And as the cop on the program believes, makes them vulnerable to be preyed on by organised crime gangs to be their foot soldiers and do the street level dirty work.

These kids are collateral damage of a corrupt system but their gangs and wars aren't a solution to any of their problems, only making it worse for themselves and their communities.

It's hard to imagine the drill rap gangs and the boys in the hood interviewed on the 4 Corners are busy studying to be accountants or vets, or even working long hours in apprenticeships. More likely many of them are not only unemployed but high school dropouts without any immediate prospects. Hence spending their time patrolling their turf with their 'brothers' to fight their 'wars' against rival area gangs, which at least gives them some purpose and something to belong to. And as the cop on the program believes, makes them vulnerable to be preyed on by organised crime gangs to be their foot soldiers and do the street level dirty work.

These kids are collateral damage of a corrupt system but their gangs and wars aren't a solution to any of their problems, only making it worse for themselves and their communities.
It's really sad all round.

Gangs have been around forever. I well remember the sharpies coming in from Liverpool and other Western suburbs to fight the longhairs and mods around Town Hall station in my day. It seemed a fashion thing rather than driven by criminals. Oh for the good old days.

I find this one a tough one.

I grew up on the north shore and then moved to the beaches so have little reference for how things are / what challenges these kids face that lead into these decisions.
As SER put it the real shame is that the innocent ones are the ones that suffer

Cronulla riots were not that long ago

In my home town we had the same post code but still “ fought”

It was the weeds versus the cogs versus the wogs versus footy players versus soccer players versus the nerds versus the cool kids

People have been fighting through history

An old bag in Redfern stand hit me over the head with an umbrella when I was about 12 after I cheered us after full time

Hated souffs ever since

When I reach her age I might whack a rabbit kid just get even

Any way
I did not see the 4 corners show show but see underbelly and did watch welcome back kotter and thought Epstein was cool

Go manly
Chill out team
We will be ok

I find it very funny when people say "first full seasons in the NRL can drain young players,"
First of all, they are young and full of energy to burn........
They only play for 80 minutes or less per week.......
Training is a 'doddle' and a ' skylark '
If Schuster spent less time running across field, he wouldn't be so 'drained'

OH!!!, you mean psychologically drained........

Roy & HG said it best all those years ago, when they said "It's a simple game, for simple people "

Even Phil Gould will say something silly, like, "They're still learning the game.........."
Yeah right, as if they would have learnt how to play Footy by the time, they retire............
My favourite is " It's a game of two halves "

Captain Obvious has retired from the arduous and strenuous task of sport commentary on Ch9.
Sterlo, I hope you are relaxing up on The Central Coast in NSW.
" If he'd went the other way and they didn't tackle him, he woulda scored " Classic Sterlo.
Of course, it is GONE not WENT.
Another favourite is Commentators' use of Utilised, which means used.
I have to go and read my Thesaurus now...........

Oh yeah, GO MANLY!!!!!!
There are Fibro & Weatherboard houses on the Northern Beaches & Housing Commission at Narraweena.
I lived in a Weatherboard at Avalon, in Kevin Ave.
I don't think Roy Masters has been to The Northern Beaches.
I won a Premiership at Beverly Job Park, Narraweena with The Mighty FORESTVILLE FERRETTS.

Go Manly!!!!!! 2023

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4