The Pigs

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

Snake

Snake's Alive!
Our form has obviously not been great for an extended period of time now and so much of the criticism seems to be directed at the halves and the outside backs. The outside backs seem to be lambasted for their defence (or lack there of) and the halves get pasted for a lack of game management, leadership and a flailing attack.

But...

I think we'd all be amazed at the abilities of this backline, if the forwards were holding their own. That has been the single biggest difference in our fortunes this year. When we were winning, DCE was the form half in the competition, hell, even Matty Wright looked like a world beater. It's all gone to buggery since the forwards stopped winning the ruck.

I think they're losing the ruck because Jake T and Marty are starting to blow after a big year, and there is not much else there to help them. AFB had a strong game today but over the last couple of months, I feel our forwards have been shown to be a little off the pace with the rest of the competition.

We desperately need a prop and a backrower for next year. The backline will sort itself out when the forwards do their job. Re-sign Taufua and then throw the bank at a couple of really good forwards. I'm actually thinking James Graham might be what we need after all. An old head with experience, but a bloody hard worker to boot.

Fibro Eagle

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Manly's back rowers dont do enough .Whether there told to just stay wide all game but rarely do they come looking for a hit up on the 2nd or 3rd hit up its almost always a run from walker or uate that gets the team moving . Mostly our backrowers will run a hit up when the ball comes there way

D

Deleted member 26876

Our backs need to continue taking hit ups to help the forwards out, were better today than they have been recently although still a little more involvement needed. Walker and Uate seemed to be carrying some niggling injuries although next week after some more resting they should be fine you'd think. Would love to see Siro get some good involvement in his return

Our current backrowers need more involvement that's for sure

Sheikheagle

First Grader
Tipping Member
Our form has obviously not been great for an extended period of time now and so much of the criticism seems to be directed at the halves and the outside backs. The outside backs seem to be lambasted for their defence (or lack there of) and the halves get pasted for a lack of game management, leadership and a flailing attack.

But...

I think we'd all be amazed at the abilities of this backline, if the forwards were holding their own. That has been the single biggest difference in our fortunes this year. When we were winning, DCE was the form half in the competition, hell, even Matty Wright looked like a world beater. It's all gone to buggery since the forwards stopped winning the ruck.

I think they're losing the ruck because Jake T and Marty are starting to blow after a big year, and there is not much else there to help them. AFB had a strong game today but over the last couple of months, I feel our forwards have been shown to be a little off the pace with the rest of the competition.

We desperately need a prop and a backrower for next year. The backline will sort itself out when the forwards do their job. Re-sign Taufua and then throw the bank at a couple of really good forwards. I'm actually thinking James Graham might be what we need after all. An old head with experience, but a bloody hard worker to boot.

Great post snake. I agree Marty and Jake are struggling fighting the fight by themselves. Back row is non existent. Hopefully the great bozo has some signings up his sleeve or some of the young guys like paseki come through. Above all we need another high work rate frontrower and back rower.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Is a tough one, I agree with most of it, but then I don't as well lol

I guess the main issue, has been that we haven't had them all firing collectively as a pack. Lawrence has had his good games, Lussick was very good the 2 games before this one, but Marty was down.

If we can get Taupau, Lussick, Lawrence and AFB all firing on the same day, the go forward is near unstoppable, didn't toss Jake in there coz he is on every week

Strongly agree about the need for a running backrower along the lines of a Tarim Sims/Joel Thompson

Killer03

Bencher
Not sure what the instructions are for Lane and Winterstein, but when they do run straight and hard they look really really good. Lane is a man monster who could literally have 4 players on his back and still go forward, but he seems to lack aggression.

Winterstein has pockets of good play. That run v the Roosters where he steamrolled their centre shows what he can do.

If we are to be a force they need to do more. Perrett needs to do more.

mave

First Grader
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I can only put the overall lack of involvement in attack by our 2nd rowers down to the coaches instructions/ gameplan/ strategy .

No player seriously plays RL and doesnt want the ball in hand, as often as possible.

That literally flies against the point of playing the game in the first place.

TokyoEagle

Bencher
Marty needs to get out of the habit of taking the first hit-up of a set against a set defensive line, he can leave that to Lawrence, or even better, Darcy. Taupau is much more effective when he is running at a defensive line 3 or 4 tackles into a set. As for AFB, IMO has been one of our most consistent this year. And the best thing, he is only 21.
Winterstein is a tough one, at times you see him take a run and he looks like a world beater, we need to see this more consistently from him.

The Who

Journey Man
I thought the forwards held their own today, but I have previously posted that the second rowers don't do their share in attack.
I feel we have three quality backs: DCE, Uate and Tom Turbo. Walker can be great but has not done much over the past two months.
Our backs are leaking too many tries; cast your mind back over recent matches and you'll see that opposition tries are coming from poor defence by our backs, not our forwards.
We don't have the quality reserves this year to cover guys like Kelly and Wright who would probably not get in any/many other first grade teams. Kelly will be much better next season, but Wright is a stop-gap.
Next season our priority should be:
1. A reliable goal kicker who is of first grade playing standard
2. A running second-rower
3. A quality, fast centre (although Parker and Kelly could fit that role)

Marty needs to get out of the habit of taking the first hit-up of a set against a set defensive line, he can leave that to Lawrence, or even better, Darcy. Taupau is much more effective when he is running at a defensive line 3 or 4 tackles into a set. As for AFB, IMO has been one of our most consistent this year. And the best thing, he is only 21.
Winterstein is a tough one, at times you see him take a run and he looks like a world beater, we need to see this more consistently from him.

This... players need to be lined up to take the ball away from marty. as you said, deep in the set, and off a quick play the ball is where he shines. While you can't become "predictable", i think AFB and Lussick should be the early hit ups (straight and hard), then BJ and Marty (speed and offload potential). I'd like to throw a second rower in the middle there between the two sets of pigs, but i'm not seeing Winterstein / Lane doing what they should be. Hopefully Siro is chomping at the bit and comes back guns blazing, he was really building combos and running great lines before the injury. Lane looks to be trying, but there is no familiarity combo wise, and Winterstein just doesn't seem to be part of any major plays like Siro appeared to be before the injury.

Bearfax

Grizzly old fart
Lane looks like a nice guy who needs to be slapped around a couple of times in Roy Master's style before the match to get him angry so he'll use the skills he obviously has. Sometimes he looks tentative and lacking in confidence regarding his potential. Could be another Kite if he got more purpose in his play.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
Lane looks like a nice guy who needs to be slapped around a couple of times in Roy Master's style before the match to get him angry so he'll use the skills he obviously has. Sometimes he looks tentative and lacking in confidence regarding his potential. Could be another Kite if he got more purpose in his play.
Call in Mick Crocker as Anger Development Coordinator.

Worked for Kite back in '08.

D

Deleted member 26876

I thought the forwards held their own today, but I have previously posted that the second rowers don't do their share in attack.
I feel we have three quality backs: DCE, Uate and Tom Turbo. Walker can be great but has not done much over the past two months.
Our backs are leaking too many tries; cast your mind back over recent matches and you'll see that opposition tries are coming from poor defence by our backs, not our forwards.
We don't have the quality reserves this year to cover guys like Kelly and Wright who would probably not get in any/many other first grade teams. Kelly will be much better next season, but Wright is a stop-gap.
Next season our priority should be:
1. A reliable goal kicker who is of first grade playing standard
2. A running second-rower
3. A quality, fast centre (although Parker and Kelly could fit that role)
Walker is a star although I reckon he's been carrying some rather heavy injuries of late

BOZO

Journey Man
Tipping Member
Lawrence has been terrible the last few weeks. Must be playing busted.
One bloke who has really impressed is AFB.
Lawrence has no injury issues and is not playing busted . The reality is he is nearing the end of his career .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16