The past, the present and the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just pointing out how you have made an utterly unfounded gross generalisation.

I am no longer a CEO and I never indulge in FIGJAM. The truth is when things are going well it usually isn't because you are a great CEO, just that the cycle has timed in nicely with your initiatives. Conversely, and this is the important point, when things are going poorly it is also the case that it often isn't because of your initiatives, just a combination of circumstance, both internal and external and usually beyond your control. I have happily returned to a CFO role after almost 20 years as a CEO. Looking forward to retirement.
Sounds like you're pretty set. Good for you Ralphie!

By the way I never said my views were new, or entirely mine.

Much of what I wrote was gathered from watching NRL shows , reading articles and reading on here, so a collection of ideas if you like,

All I have done is listed them down in one thread to either be expanded on or torn apart if you feel the need

not unfounded , look at the position our club is in,..!

Just pointing out how you have made an utterly unfounded gross generalisation.

I am no longer a CEO and I never indulge in FIGJAM. The truth is when things are going well it usually isn't because you are a great CEO, just that the cycle has timed in nicely with your initiatives. Conversely, and this is the important point, when things are going poorly it is also the case that it often isn't because of your initiatives, just a combination of circumstance, both internal and external and usually beyond your control. I have happily returned to a CFO role after almost 20 years as a CEO. Looking forward to retirement.

It's almost impossible in the modern age for teams to dominate for long periods, that's the whole point of the salary cap - it's designed to make success cyclical. The fact that we stayed competitive for so long has made us carry unrealistic expectations, there are probably thousands of Manly fans who have never experienced Manly missing a finals series. That's not how it normally works, our decade of dominance is testament to the culture in the place and the pride in the jersey that has been built from day one. We compete and compete well.

Only the most naive fan could have thought that this success would go on for ever, at some point we had to come back to the pack and regather ourselves for another run. I can only think of Brisbane and Melbourne who have been able to maintain sustained periods of competitiveness, interestingly enough both of whom are one team towns with a history of strong News Limited involvement. The fact that Manly can pull that off as well without all those added leg ups is a solid indication that something is going right in the joint.

The fall from grace so far this year has been a "perfect storm" of factors that no one could have predicted would descend like a maelstrom all at once

* aging roster
* massive injury toll
* change of ownership model that has brought it's own form of bloodletting and axe grinding
* loss of two youngish, highly experienced, quality players, either of whom the transition to the next generation could have been tailored around. I'm sure everyone expected at least one to stay (I did !!)
* apparent player disharmony

A hole was always looming large on the horizon and I expect that most fans were prepared for the club to stumble into one, trip up for a year or two, gather our feet and stride out the other side. What has caught us by surprise is the depth of the hole, at the moment we look up and are struggling to see daylight. Maybe it's a good thing. We are stuck, so let's get the rescue plan into action, climb out of the hole, get moving again and keep an eye out for massive holes in the future. We must have faith that the current management have the best interests of the club at heart and success is as equally as important to them as it is to us fans. If that's not the case then why even bother being involved ? They want to win as much as we do, of that I'm confident.

I am hoping with all my heart that we don't win the spoon this year. I rank the fact that we never have as one of the proudest achievements of the club. It shows we never say die and always fight to the end. But if we do finish last this year I sincerely hope that it is not in vain. Let there be some lessons learned is all I can say.

Cheers
Mark

Great post Mark and I do feel for you. I think pretty much we are all going through the exact sentiments that you have expressed in your post.

The current situation we find the club in is hard to stomach given the past 10 years of success.

You more than anyone is entitled to vent as you have invested so much time in the past with the club by organising the supporter group trips away.

Your passion for the club always shines through, well done.

With all due respect, most of these are fairly obvious, have been well covered elsewhere and are far easier to say than implement. "Sort out" and "invest in" sound simple, but its in the detail where things get difficult. It also requires single-minded leadership free of competing motivations and politics, which I'm afraid I can't see on our horizon any time soon.
Yep-all true. Hopefully we get there sooner rather than later

Good post Mark you may have been down on the club and the position it finds itself in but to me that just shows your passion for the club .
I think what intensifies a lot of talk and goings on is that in todays world is the social media participation that covers such a world wide opinion . Usually we would only talk to your mates at work / the pub or at games when you catch up and thats as far as it goes but today with even this forum we talk to each other from our different locations and have more opinions it brings a lot more to the fore .
The club has to make a lot of your points a priority for it to move forward in todays game you have to be pro -active and not re-active which i think we find ourselves in at the moment of re-acting to what has transpired from players leaving that we thought wouldn't be
So as fans we have to stay positive and not even think of a spoon its still only round 8 we may not get to the heights of previous years but no way are going to get the lows of a having a spoon

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2