The past, the present and the future

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Like many on here I've been guilty of being down in the dumps in recent times , it's bloody hard not to when in the immediate past you have had 10 wonderful, exhilarating , entertaining and mostly fruitful years which has been just so enjoyable to be a part of.

Every single club would kill to have been Manly in the 2007-2014 era, and whilst they'd never admit it, every supporter as well.

But that's the past , now let me talk about the present.

I won't rehash everything that's been said already that defeats the purpose of this thread.

I don't know if we will win the spoon but so what if we do!, you need to experience the depths of despair to create the hunger to never see it again, and if we win it this year I bet it will be the only one in my lifetime ( maybe not yours).

We can't control the present , it's here, and whatever will be will be!, so let's just be Manly fans and be thankful we still have a club to support.

We, or at least the management can control the future, and they just must!!

Forget the mistakes, forget the present and just concentrate on the future.

So some dot points from me on where we should be headed.

• sign our promising juniors now ( otherwise someone else will)

• start investing in picking up the best young talent we can find, if they work all well and good, if they don't move them out

• move out the non performing duds now , if not now they must be moved out ASAP, there's talent out there ( lots) we just haven't been astute enough to plan to utilise it.

• invest more in the NSW Cup side , it's your depth and it's clear we have little at this stage, but in saying that don't downgrade the top 25 just for this

• restructure the top 25 by having no single position ( bench forwards aside) with players coming off contract at once, the halved situation should NEVER happen again

• aim for a better mix of experience, mid age and youth in the 25, but no more than 2-3 in the plus 30 year bracket

• refresh each year, and yes that means almost NO long standing one club players, controversial I know but part of what I think will be a winning method

• look at modernising our coaching / training structure because clearly something's not right

• if the coach isn't working, just like the players, move them on, loyalty ( and this is said with sadness) means diddly squat in the modern era

• sort the back office out, employ the best they can find and empower them, if they don't work move them out and quickly

• the Peters situation is untenable, he has to go, and all of this is pointless otherwise

• more fan engagement , treat us like fans not customers so more communication, more player access, more fan days, more Q & A's its not rocket science

• sort the media situation out , if Peters is the leak then getting rid of him will do that , otherwise oust whoever is doing it and find someone who knows what they are doing and can protect the brand!

• and if the Brookvale Development is just a pie in the sky plan then a serious look at where to play, involving stake holders needs to be had. The future is about gaining more sponsorship, obtaining more TPA funding , building a fan base and membership will follow, Brooky in its current guise probably doesn't cut it

So there you have it , my memories of the past , my thoughts on the present and the things I'd do for the future.

It's just a pity I'm only a fan and not the CEO.

Thanks for reading and feel free to shoot me down , or conversely build me up !

I love how @mike walker always says " Cheers Mike" so from me

Cheers
Mark

Thank is without question the most comprehensive and accurate reflection of where we are and what needs to be done.

We cant change the past but we can secure our future and it is imperative that we address as a club the issues mentioned in tbis article.

Like you Mark I hate to see our club in pain and struggling like we are and i want to see our owners get on with it and start the recovery.

Well done for writing this!

For all we know the club is currently taking all the right paths to fix our problems.

This takes time.

The biggest problem is actually this forum and that most of it is all in our heads. The fact that everything you listed hasn't been implemented since a CEO speech just 2 weeks ago means slit your wrist time we're all doomed for the majority of posters here.

What really needs to happen from us fans is a tad more patience. We have a club with two all time legends currently involved directly with football operations.

They won't **** it up. Give them time. These things don't happen overnight.

Like many on here I've been guilty of being down in the dumps in recent times , it's bloody hard not to when in the immediate past you have had 10 wonderful, exhilarating , entertaining and mostly fruitful years which has been just so enjoyable to be a part of.

Every single club would kill to have been Manly in the 2007-2014 era, and whilst they'd never admit it, every supporter as well.

But that's the past , now let me talk about the present.

I won't rehash everything that's been said already that defeats the purpose of this thread.

I don't know if we will win the spoon but so what if we do!, you need to experience the depths of despair to create the hunger to never see it again, and if we win it this year I bet it will be the only one in my lifetime ( maybe not yours).

We can't control the present , it's here, and whatever will be will be!, so let's just be Manly fans and be thankful we still have a club to support.

We, or at least the management can control the future, and they just must!!

Forget the mistakes, forget the present and just concentrate on the future.

So some dot points from me on where we should be headed.

• sign our promising juniors now ( otherwise someone else will)

• start investing in picking up the best young talent we can find, if they work all well and good, if they don't move them out

• move out the non performing duds now , if not now they must be moved out ASAP, there's talent out there ( lots) we just haven't been astute enough to plan to utilise it.

• invest more in the NSW Cup side , it's your depth and it's clear we have little at this stage, but in saying that don't downgrade the top 25 just for this

• restructure the top 25 by having no single position ( bench forwards aside) with players coming off contract at once, the halved situation should NEVER happen again

• aim for a better mix of experience, mid age and youth in the 25, but no more than 2-3 in the plus 30 year bracket

• refresh each year, and yes that means almost NO long standing one club players, controversial I know but part of what I think will be a winning method

• look at modernising our coaching / training structure because clearly something's not right

• if the coach isn't working, just like the players, move them on, loyalty ( and this is said with sadness) means diddly squat in the modern era

• sort the back office out, employ the best they can find and empower them, if they don't work move them out and quickly

• the Peters situation is untenable, he has to go, and all of this is pointless otherwise

• more fan engagement , treat us like fans not customers so more communication, more player access, more fan days, more Q & A's its not rocket science

• sort the media situation out , if Peters is the leak then getting rid of him will do that , otherwise oust whoever is doing it and find someone who knows what they are doing and can protect the brand!

• and if the Brookvale Development is just a pie in the sky plan then a serious look at where to play, involving stake holders needs to be had. The future is about gaining more sponsorship, obtaining more TPA funding , building a fan base and membership will follow, Brooky in its current guise probably doesn't cut it

So there you have it , my memories of the past , my thoughts on the present and the things I'd do for the future.

It's just a pity I'm only a fan and not the CEO.

Thanks for reading and feel free to shoot me down , or conversely build me up !

I love how @mike walker always says " Cheers Mike" so from me

Cheers
Mark
You forgot to mention the need for a better brand of toilet paper at team headquarters :walking:

We need the right people in the right places, like a fullback for a fullback, like Mr kelly should be cFo not cEo
Just out of interest, when did you interview Joe Kelly and on what criteria was the CFO/CEO assessment made?

Just out of interest, when did you interview Joe Kelly and on what criteria was the CFO/CEO assessment made?

He came from souffs being there cFo, don't know about you but in my business we replace same with same,we don't upgrade and hope they do the job..If he was any good he would have replaced richardson.

He came from souffs being there cFo, don't know about you but in my business we replace same with same,we don't upgrade and hope they do the job..If he was any good he would have replaced richardson.
Got it, no CFO should ever become a CEO or disaster will ensue unless they are promoted by their current employer.

Sounds perfectly logical to me.

Mind you when I went from CFO of one Company to CEO of another Company my new employer was pretty happy with the ensuing results. Hah, must have been a strange anomaly on the above rule you have articulated.

Onya Mark, nice to see you back to being positive!

Keep it up.

It's the new me, after getting that off my chest ( rather than my typical smart arse comments ) I feel better now.

Wether or not the club does what I have suggested , or parts of it , is anyone's guess .

I no longer have the ear of the CEO but as the two past CEO's were avid readers of Silvertails ( both told me as much) I'm hoping that Joe Kelly does as well, so nothing ventured nothing gained .

I'm resigned to the losses, I'll celebrate any wins and if we get the spoon then so be it, and there's only one way once you get one of those and it's back up.

If the Rorters can go from Spoon to Premiers in one season ( I think that was the case) then we can as well.

Onwards and upwards.

Got it, no CFO should ever become a CEO or disaster will ensue unless they are promoted by their current employer.

Sounds perfectly logical to me.

Mind you when I went from CFO of one Company to CEO of another Company my new employer was pretty happy with the ensuing results. Hah, must have been a strange anomaly on the above rule you have articulated.

Do you have a figjam cup..???

While this is a mix of many established threads and feelings already, most of the points are valid. But really blind freddy can see most of them as well.
It's disappointing to long term fans (I go back to early 70's) especially, who have witnessed a great culture over time.
Personally I think we are a couple of years off getting the club in ship shape, but I am committed to believing that the new owners are capable of delivering the results. And really Mark, you and all the fans out there should be too. It can be hard being positive, but being disgruntled and ****ty serves no real purpose. We are all guilty from time to time of that.
Let's hope our new owners have the fans interest at heart also.
Good post Mark

Last edited:
Do you have a figjam cup..???
Just pointing out how you have made an utterly unfounded gross generalisation.

I am no longer a CEO and I never indulge in FIGJAM. The truth is when things are going well it usually isn't because you are a great CEO, just that the cycle has timed in nicely with your initiatives. Conversely, and this is the important point, when things are going poorly it is also the case that it often isn't because of your initiatives, just a combination of circumstance, both internal and external and usually beyond your control. I have happily returned to a CFO role after almost 20 years as a CEO. Looking forward to retirement.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4