THE NRL has knocked back Sharks request

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Berkeley_Eagle

Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006066,00.html.

THE NRL has knocked back a request from Cronulla for funding for the club to play five home games on the Central Coast from 2010. An NRL statement said the league "is not prepared to embrace" the proposal, reportedly asking for $250,000-$350,000.
The NRL has $8 million on the table for any club prepared to make a permanent move to Bluetongue Stadium.
Thursday's decision shows the league is not prepared to fund a part-time move to the Coast.
"The partnership executive committee has only had the opportunity to look at Cronulla's proposal on a preliminary basis," NRL chief executive David Gallop said in the statement.
"It is not prepared to embrace the idea at this stage.
"We will continue to work with the club to explore all available measures and to further understand and improve its financial forecasts."
The Sharks will now be forced to strike a deal with Bluetongue Stadium, which has reportedly guaranteed revenue of $100,000 per game to clubs playing at the venue.
Cronulla had hoped to supplement that income with the NRL funding.
The financially stricken club has proposed playing five games at Bluetongue Stadium for the next five years.

What happened to the NRL thinking laterally. Why isn't $250k-350k acceptable? They could make a sunset clause based on another club moving there permanently. Considering how little the amount they are asking for, this is a crap decision and shows exactly what we have been going on about.

Completely agree MB.  They seem to be playing hardball and want the Bears to make the big move and the Sharks to fold.  Dark days indeed.

There in such trouble they should just take the 8 mil and move there.

If it was Manly I’d feel the same way, it's the only responsible thing to do as your better to move and keep existing than to bust.

Why should the NRL prop up Cronulla ? If they want to rationalise the "business" in the Sydney market than they should just let nature take it's course. If the Sharks fold than that opens the door for expansion elsewhere. They have given an incentive for the opening of the Central Coast market, so what more can they do ?

Let's face it who will miss Cronulla anyway, apart from the Hobbits in the Shire. It's not like they have any tradition or a culture of success.

THe Sharks obviously want to see what it is like up there, see if there is any support. If thereis they may make that move. It is more than obvious they are close to going under

Chip & Chase link said:
Why should the NRL prop up Cronulla ? If they want to rationalise the \"business\" in the Sydney market than they should just let nature take it's course. If the Sharks fold than that opens the door for expansion elsewhere. They have given an incentive for the opening of the Central Coast market, so what more can they do ?

Let's face it who will miss Cronulla anyway, apart from the Hobbits in the Shire. It's not like they have any tradition or a culture of success.

I'd rather see the central coast sharks than that pack of winging pricks from the bears, can you imagine having to listen to their crap again on a regular basis.

If a new team is entered on the coast it should be under a unique name or an existing team should move there, the last thing on earth I want to see is the bears back again.

they can drag there crap from one town to another but if the same people are runing the club then they will fail. I want to see a team on the central coast, i do not want it to be the central coast sharks. Adelaide os a bad idea at this stage, maybe in ten years or so. I would be putting another team in NZ before I put a team in adelaide.

The Central Coast Sharks has a better ring to it than the Central Coast Bears. I guess it's irrelevant anyway, both sides have in common the trait of never winning.

I don't think either the Sharks or Bears will work on the Central Cost.  The Central Coast want their own team.  Even the Central Coast Mariners Soccer team only get about 9000 people per game and that's what the Sharks get now.  So the 8 million might prop them up for a short while but in the long run it won't be viable and it would be a bad move.  Look what happened to the Northern Eagles.  It never worked from day 1.

The only option for the Sharks is to find a team to merge with or fold.

I think the game as a whole is in a bad state financially and the nrl needs to look at fixing things somehow.  As we all know, the Sharks are not the only team that are having financial problems.

comparing Soccer crowds in Australia to NRL is like Apples and Oranges. 9000 is a fairly big crowd for A-league.

Any team that establishes itself on the Central coast, and plays ALL their home games there, will do well

Except us Dan.  The people who originally moved up there were the poor from the inner city who sold up their terraces and went up there thinking it was some sort of Nirvana.  Now it's a schizoid sort of place, pockets of wealth with lots of poor and dispossessed.  Souths or the Tigers might have success with a move, because that's theri demographic but not a team like us, or losers like the Bears or Sharks. 

Good. Family members that live on the Central Coast and family friends from there see this as nothing but a money grab from the sharks. But on a further note they would prefer the bears there then any other team. 

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6