The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Another version of the "truth" from a paper not known for it. Salary wrong ,age of Schuster wrong etc ,anyways read on

The contract, the expectation and the meeting: Inside Manly’s backflip on Schuster​

Adrian Proszenko

ByAdrian Proszenko

April 11, 2024 — 5.00am
Save

Normal text sizeLarger text sizeVery large text size
View all comments

Advertisement

In the hours immediately after Luke Brooks signed with Manly in June, an emergency meeting was convened by those close to Josh Schuster to ensure he did likewise while he still could.
An $800,000-a-year deal for Schuster had been sitting unsigned for several weeks as he weighed up his options. However, there were concerns that Manly would pull that offer if pen wasn’t immediately put to paper.

Play Video
https://silvertails.net/javascript:void(0);

Legends discuss Schuster's next move

Legends discuss Schuster's next move
Play video
1:08

Legends discuss Schuster's next move​

Fraser backs Olympics cash incentive

Brad Fittler & Andrew Johns discuss the breaking news regarding Manly and Josh Schuster.
Wests Tigers had withdrawn their interest in Schuster and there were concerns the Sea Eagles would do likewise, given Brooks had accepted a deal that ostensibly handed him the No.6 jersey Schuster had long been groomed to wear.
Which is why Schuster signed before the ink had even dried on Brooks’ contract.

It meant coach Anthony Seibold was left with a roster and salary cap out of whack unless Schuster could make the transition to be a top-class back-rower.
On Wednesday morning, the club concluded that wouldn’t be the case.
Josh Schuster in action for Blacktown in the NSW Cup on Saturday.

Josh Schuster in action for Blacktown in the NSW Cup on Saturday.CREDIT:NRL PHOTOS
Seibold told Schuster’s manager the Samoan international was free to negotiate with other clubs after a troubled start to the season.
Given his hefty salary – only last June, Schuster signed a three-year, $2.4 million contract extension that will keep him on the northern beaches until the end of 2027 – he will be a tough sell for rival clubs.

Advertisement

The price tag has also made Schuster an easy target for critics. However, only those closest to the 24-year-old fully appreciate the struggles he is dealing with.
Schuster has been languishing in reserve grade after a tough pre-season, which included a dose of chickenpox, a spiral fracture of his finger and a calf strain. Then he had to publicly relive the death of his closest friend, Keith Titmuss, in the witness box during a coronial inquest in February.
Manly have told Josh Schuster he can negotiate with other clubs less than a year after signing a big contract extension.

Manly have told Josh Schuster he can negotiate with other clubs less than a year after signing a big contract extension.CREDIT:GETTY
Their lifelong dream was playing together for Samoa, although Schuster has only represented the Pacific nation once, instead prioritising his club as the pressure mounted for him to justify his pay packet.
“I know Keithy very well. He will definitely be laughing at me because he says I’m ‘plastic’,” Schuster once told me while wearing the Samoan jersey.

“It’s a saying for people who are Samoan, but can’t speak Samoan; when you only understand the language – and the swear words!”
The pressure to live up to the deeds of his famous footballing family, as well as other people’s expectations, have weighed heavily on Schuster. Uncle John Schuster was an All Black who also played for the Newcastle Knights; uncle Peter was an Australian rugby sevens star; great uncle Fred represented New Zealand in union; and grandfather David – who he considers his father and even calls “Dad” – represented Samoa.
When Schuster made his NRL debut against the Tigers, Benii Marshall gushed: “That’s the best debut I’ve seen from a young kid in my time. Ever.” The late, great Immortal Bob Fulton predicted he would not only succeed Daly Cherry-Evans as playmaker, but also as club captain.
Schuster did little to douse the hype. A smattering of eye-catching, albeit inconsistent, performances were accompanied by bold predictions.
“I’ve always believed in myself since day one,” Schuster said last May. “I always believed that one day I would be the best player in the game.”

RELATED ARTICLE​

Mal Meninga and Wayne Bennett.

Updated​

NRL 2024

Souths target Meninga-Bennett combination to revive club

It is a boast he has been unable to back up. Seibold has preferred Haumole Olakau’atu and Ben Trbojevic this season as his first-choice back-rowers, relegating Schuster to feeder club Blacktown.
Down on form and fitness, he hasn’t been able to produce the performances required to add to his 50 first-grade appearances. Now a club that had earmarked him as the superstar to lead them into a bright future – and is paying him accordingly – has told him he has no future there.
It is a bitter blow for Schuster. As a painfully shy kid growing up in Mount Druitt, football was the outlet that allowed him to express himself. It also spawned a dream to make it big in the NRL, one that has just become more elusive.

Another version of the "truth" from a paper not known for it. Salary wrong ,age of Schuster wrong etc ,anyways read on

The contract, the expectation and the meeting: Inside Manly’s backflip on Schuster​

Yeah, just another re-hash with a misleading headline. I particularly like how it says virtually nothing about the contract, the expectation or the meeting.

I hope he stays. Manly have a contract for next year and they get to decide if they do infact choose to terminate his contract on account of a breach or waive their right of termination.

Man should still have up until November to decide.

As much as the media gives it to Man over this so called $800 contract.

It sounds like it was designed as very much a carrot and a stick for the shoe and may have been well worded and thought through by the club.

If clauses haven't been met, then that figure may be much much less.

Was this contract always about rewarding Josh if performing, and their being known consequences available should he not.

Even Peeps on here watching NSW cup have raised concern he's looks disinterested and fitness not near NRL standard.

Will be interesting to see how Josh reacts on field over the following weeks.

I'm not concerned about how much to club will save, or be out of pocket, my concern is that the NRL will still make us wear his contract in our salary cap, despite the fact that he didn't fullfil his contractual obligations.
If he was sacked for gross misconduct then the NRL would probably wipe it out of our salary, but for not performing?, half of the big contracted players are not performing, this is a very grey area salary capwise
The NRL have seen his contract including any performance clauses. If they had an issue with the clauses they wouldn't have registered the contract. As long as Manly has legal grounds to terminate the contract the NRL has no say.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned about how much to club will save, or be out of pocket, my concern is that the NRL will still make us wear his contract in our salary cap, despite the fact that he didn't fullfil his contractual obligations.
If he was sacked for gross misconduct then the NRL would probably wipe it out of our salary, but for not performing?, half of the big contracted players are not performing, this is a very grey area salary capwise
All depends on the content of the contract, the contract forms the law between the parties, if it includes performance, weight or other KPI‘s then they are enforceable and the NRL would be at odds to interlope.

I imagine the NRL would have the power to intervene covered somewhere in the player - club registration process, guess we’ll find soon enough, personally can’t see it being an issue, the contract will be enforced according to its content, freeing up a player on the roster and the cap space accordingly, to messy and to expensive to go any other way.

I think his body isn't tbh.

Too big and heavy and is only going to get harder for him.

See as a junior that's not a problem because his body was still youthful and growing. So he was a big fast talented kid killing it. With vision and ball playing skills that mesmerised opponents.

As a young man his body is still growing and he's looking more like a slow prop forward.
The skills are still there but not much else, and if your gassed in a game your skills won't shine either.

And as we all know with age its harder to lose weight..and he has been in a battle with his body for 2 years now..

Sadly his body is destined to continue to go north on the size and on the scales..
I'm a fan always have been but unfortunately the writing is on the wall for all to see, he's body shape will kill off his potential footy career
unless he embraces it and becomes another Arty Beetson

Schusters problem has never been his talent, he’s got a really high ceiling. Manly fans are lying if you didn’t get excited seeing some of those performances from him last year and then his rookie season. It’s his commitment and fitness that’s letting him down SO BADLY.

I know I sound like a Schuster fanboy but I’ve seen the talent with my own eyes and had huge hopes for him from early. Plus I’ve seen the likes of Joey, Matty and Cronk talk him up as one of the best ball players they’ve seen.

I’m just hoping the guy isn’t that stupid that whatever second chance he’s gonna be given, he doesn’t waste it. Because we know that means his career well and truly done. He’s 22 years old. And if he doesn’t waste his second chance then he has the potential to be a very good player. But it is what it is, it’s not going to happen here so we move on.
But then again he might NOT move on. Schuster can take it 2 ways, head down kicking stones and looking detached or say to yourself I'll give myself 5 games to get my s... together and show everyone what kind of player I am and force Seib's to consider me for 1st team selection.

I know several posters have already said this but given how relentless the media are in trotting out the $800k figure, it needs to be said again. Joshs' extended contract includes a renegotiated amount for 2024. The $2.5M is over 4 years, not 3.
So $600k. And suggestions thats before any performance incentives factored in.

What's origin these days. $30k a game. Before you even ask about playing ressies not nrl.

$400 may be a more realistic figure.
Would it be unlike the media and fox in particular inflate a number to dramatise?

What ever the number you'd have to doubt its 800.

The contract will be terminated at the end of the year. So as it stands we have the obligation to pay the rest of this year but non after that.
If a club wants him this year we will have to chip in but only for the 2024 season.
Is that for sure, or just you're take on it.

Admittedly still early in the season but doubt Shu will be leaving before season "s end irrespective of the nature of his present contract arrangements .
General salary cap constraints for all clubs , Manly surely not prepared to subsidize his probably nominal value right now [ probably half contract basis and assuming that 600 + k base figure previously ]
Then certainly would not extend to 2027 .
Pretty sure Shu was the player who was reported as being out of a bit of favor for a couple of reasons in that good end of season run in 21 . Form was still O K but down on most of that season's level and attitude wise .
For sure has still shown some occasional good glimpses since that time but between match fitness , injury issues and on field attitude and form , has of course been sad that that good early promise has not been forthcoming .
And again for whatever reason .
Guess that it is just hard , professional footy reality now .
Know that it is easier said then done but assuming Shu does see this season out for Manly, would be great to see a turnaround not too far into this season and somehow playing some really competitive and good level footy
Then regardless of whatever outcome after that .
Anyway , obviously the best interests of club and player is the priority now and just will have to see how things go from here

I hope he stays and works hard to get back to 1st Grade as he is a great talent . If he wants to leave and if we could do a player swap, I reckon Big Nelson Asofa - Solomona would be a good pickup.

I can not see an any fault from our club
We signed the Schu and rewarded him on his great potential and showed him great faith
We have given him plenty of opportunities and the Super Talented Shu was not able not return the favour

I have always been a Big Schu Fan but no one is Bigger than our Legendary club and we must do what is best for our club and that is to Invest in people that have our best interest and the Shu seems uninterested on the footy field of opportunities

Perspective time
At 17 years of age we are old enough to join the army and go to war
Shuster is 22 years of age and is losing the battler of his career
He has been through a lot but no more than what every one goes through in life
Having Talent is one thing and having the character to over come adversity is another

There is always hope that things can change as in the Manly Way we never say never
and the only change that will make a difference is the change in the Shus attitude

NRL 2024: Josh Schuster granted immediate personal leave by Manly Sea Eagles​

After being told on Wednesday that he is set to be released from his $800,000 contract, Josh Schuster has now been given personal leave by the Sea Eagles as he looks to sort out his future.

Manly have granted Josh Schuster immediate personal leave to allow the youngster time to try to sort out his future. It is likely that Schuster has played his final game for the club after the Sea Eagles agreed to grant him an indefinite break from the game.

The Sea Eagles informed Schuster on Wednesday that they were going to release him from his $800,000 contract which expires at the end of 2027. However, subsequent meetings in the past 24 hours has led to Schuster and the club agreeing to give the 22-year-old some time away from the game to deal with personal matters. There is no time frame on Schuster’s return although the chances of him playing or even training with the Sea Eagles again seem remote.

The Sea Eagles are continuing to provide any support Schuster needs as he deals with the situation. Schuster has not played first grade this year and was again named to play NSW Cup this weekend.
He has spent the past month playing in reserve grade but Schuster has failed to impress at that level.

Despite almost $3 million being owed to Schuster, the Sea Eagles are confident they will not have to chip in any large amounts to move him on given some parameters around his new deal. There were performance based clauses in his contract. He had met those prior to Christmas before his pre-season was interrupted by illness and a raft of injuries.

Despite his natural talent, Schuster has struggled to make any real impact in reserve grade and was next to no chance of playing first grade any time soon.

He will now be forced to look elsewhere to get his NRL career back on track. Schuster has not played first grade since round 25 last year which was his 50th appearance for the Sea Eagles.

Manly’s feeder club Blacktown are due to play the Warriors in Auckland on Saturday but they will take to the field minus Schuster.

NRL 2024: Josh Schuster granted immediate personal leave by Manly Sea Eagles​

After being told on Wednesday that he is set to be released from his $800,000 contract, Josh Schuster has now been given personal leave by the Sea Eagles as he looks to sort out his future.

Manly have granted Josh Schuster immediate personal leave to allow the youngster time to try to sort out his future. It is likely that Schuster has played his final game for the club after the Sea Eagles agreed to grant him an indefinite break from the game.

The Sea Eagles informed Schuster on Wednesday that they were going to release him from his $800,000 contract which expires at the end of 2027. However, subsequent meetings in the past 24 hours has led to Schuster and the club agreeing to give the 22-year-old some time away from the game to deal with personal matters. There is no time frame on Schuster’s return although the chances of him playing or even training with the Sea Eagles again seem remote.

The Sea Eagles are continuing to provide any support Schuster needs as he deals with the situation. Schuster has not played first grade this year and was again named to play NSW Cup this weekend.
He has spent the past month playing in reserve grade but Schuster has failed to impress at that level.

Despite almost $3 million being owed to Schuster, the Sea Eagles are confident they will not have to chip in any large amounts to move him on given some parameters around his new deal. There were performance based clauses in his contract. He had met those prior to Christmas before his pre-season was interrupted by illness and a raft of injuries.

Despite his natural talent, Schuster has struggled to make any real impact in reserve grade and was next to no chance of playing first grade any time soon.

He will now be forced to look elsewhere to get his NRL career back on track. Schuster has not played first grade since round 25 last year which was his 50th appearance for the Sea Eagles.

Manly’s feeder club Blacktown are due to play the Warriors in Auckland on Saturday but they will take to the field minus Schuster.
What is the difference between this news story and the other ones feathered friend ?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8