The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've been banging on about this for months but people love to use that reason for attacking him. Seibold has even come out in the media and admitted that he is not getting $800k. As Uber mentioned though, the $800k narrative grabs attention and sells newspapers.

When there is nothing interesting in the news, the journalists then turn to their 3 favourite targets of the Tigers, Jason Demetriou & Schuster
I swear they've settled on $800K as the figure that most instantly activates the outrage response in News Corp readers/viewers.

I watched a bit of NRL360 last night and they were laying into Zac Lomax for wanting to leave the Dragons. And, lo and behold, they have it on good authority that he's also on $800K, and of course is not worth anywhere near that amount.

It’s not ineffective tackles or work rate, its that stats don’t show when he flat out comes up with air from a poor read. We don’t need stats to tell us what our eyes can see. He is all at sea when the ball players go to the line with runners.

That's conjectural Leonard. That is not how I saw it in 2021. I've said it before, stats are much more reliable than personal perspectives. Not perfect, just far better. Otherwise why do most major sports rely on them. I'm not saying he's perfect and his efforts in 2022-23 were hardly inspiring. However I suspect he was carrying injuries and was not fully match fit for many games disrupted by further injury disruptions. I also there is a self belief issue lurking here. Its also a common issue when a player receives a tag pointing out a problem area picked up by a few, that others automatically focus on that player's actions. You will always find fault if you're looking for it, while ignoring similar issues in other players who haven't been so tagged.

I understand the frustration with Schuster. However defense in my opinion is not where the problem lies. Its attacking involvement and having the confidence to use those skills of his to the best of his potential. That is the problem, not his defense, but rather his seeming reluctance to take control of his attacking game.

One
That's conjectural Leonard. That is not how I saw it in 2021. I've said it before, stats are much more reliable than personal perspectives. Not perfect, just far better. Otherwise why do most major sports rely on them. I'm not saying he's perfect and his efforts in 2022-23 were hardly inspiring. However I suspect he was carrying injuries and was not fully match fit for many games disrupted by further injury disruptions. I also there is a self belief issue lurking here. Its also a common issue when a player receives a tag pointing out a problem area picked up by a few, that others automatically focus on that player's actions. You will always find fault if you're looking for it, while ignoring similar issues in other players who haven't been so tagged.

I understand the frustration with Schuster. However defense in my opinion is not where the problem lies. Its attacking involvement and having the confidence to use those skills of his to the best of his potential. That is the problem, not his defense, but rather his seeming reluctance to take control of his attacking game.
One day, probably not, but one day you might just concede that someone else has made a good point. Until then…riddle your way around it.

images (1).jpeg

How did he go last weekend? I didn't hear any talk of him.

I hope he makes a real fist of it at lock, Jake needs to play fewer, higher energy minutes. He's an absolute beast but he ends up being a liability when the fatigue sets in.

How did he go last weekend? I didn't hear any talk of him.

I hope he makes a real fist of it at lock, Jake needs to play fewer, higher energy minutes. He's an absolute beast but he ends up being a liability when the fatigue sets in.
scored a try, similar to his ones against roosters and raiders last year

Think it may be a better balance starting with Jake as a 13 and especially if Lodge returns soon , he and Paseka as starting props for maximum early impetus , then Brown on as the 13 after 20 or so .
Then Jake to prop .Probably better for Tent to start to enable him maximum time on the field with the rotation system
Also think that maybe it will just be a matter of time before either Shu or Parker start in the 2 nd row with Haumole , guess ideally for the still hopeful X factor , it will be Shu .
Just a bit concerned with Burbo 's recent form and impact level , don"t think it has been particularly good yardage the recent 2 games then the missed tackle issue against the Roosters and of course not from lack of effort but not the best of games against the Eels ..Ideally also again he can turn it around and at least still figure in the game day 17 somewhere
Pleased that Alioia has started the season strongly , Bully has largely gone well , Sipley can be effective , .
Plenty of attention for Manly "s quite potent backline at full strength , pretty good forward lineup too if all can be available and performing well

A fluke is when it happens once
The Schu gets results from those kicks regularly
Having said that he needs get fitter to keep up with the faster NRL pace IMO

Agreed. Its the unexpected and the seeming play from nothing that makes him such an asset when he's fit. You're right. It happens too often to be a fluke.

I swear they've settled on $800K as the figure that most instantly activates the outrage response in News Corp readers/viewers.

I watched a bit of NRL360 last night and they were laying into Zac Lomax for wanting to leave the Dragons. And, lo and behold, they have it on good authority that he's also on $800K, and of course is not worth anywhere near that amount.
Both players made auspicious debuts, and are being paid on a potential which is way past it's use by date, Lomax even made the Origin squad, but if it's a case of who of the two I would rather have, as they're rumoured to be on the same money, it's Lomax any day of the week over Schuster, even though Lomax is a back, Schuster does not have the body shape of a first grade player, he has very little leg speed, all he can do is attack the line and do a silky offload, just about every player in the NRL can pick him off before he can run 20m.
If he was on around 400K, about the same as Burbo, then I would say OK, keep him, but on the rumoured 800K?, no way

I see he's wearing #26, takes me back to when they had the spare jersey for the real fat kid.

• 😆
Reactions: Ned
I know Brooks will be best with a straight man alongside him, but if its a choice between Burbo & the Schu, I pick the Schu. There is a much higher upside to the Schu.

I'm selfish. I want them both. Both have upsides that will benefit the club in future, if they don't drop their bundle.

a player swap of schuster for lomax would be ideal. dragons lack creativity in attack and lomax can get himself on a better team. i think he would only move if he plays centre pushing garrick back to the wing.
1. turbo
2. saab
3. koula
4. lomax
5. garrick
6. brooks
7. cherry

isn't a bad backline

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14