The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Found this on the game today, it’s a newscorp article, make of it what you think..

Josh Schuster needed the outing where in contrast Angus Crichton looks prime for an NRL return.
The high profile duo were among a host of big names who took part in a NSW Cup fixture between Manly’s feederclub Blacktown and the Roosters on Sunday afternoon.

Schuster, Crichton, Aaron Woods, Michael Jennings, and Jake Arthur were among the players who played.

Crichton was a clear standout as one of the best on the paddock. The former NSW and Kangaroos forward set-up two tries and helped laid on another and was clearly a class above on the Roosters’ left edge.

By contrast, the path back to first grade might take a little longer for Schuster. He till looks like he needs to spend time at the second-tier level after his outing for the season after an off-season plagued by injuries.

The pair played 80 minutes and Schuster’s performance included his trademark early tackle kicks and no-look passes, but he was poor defensively. The Roosters finished 34-12 winners
At least they didn't mention his supposed $800k salary

schuster is cooked
download.jpeg

No question that Schuster has been a disappointment over the past 2 years, but then injury has plagued him during that period, just as it seemed to be doing to Burbo. Short memory by some may show that Burbo was not being seen as a first grade potential only just last year. Steady but not built up enough, easily knocked about, living in his two brothers shadow. Doesn't take much before, with a little luck with injuries and a strong off season build up, he is now spoken of as a first pick back rower. It should be noted that he is only a few months younger than Schuster at 22.

Then there is the comparison in the last Reserve Grade game of Schuster and Crichton. Schuster has been struggling with injuries for some time now. Crichton is coming back from injury but he was playing finals football last year. He is also 28, hardened, at the peak of his game. He didn't come to prominence until he was 21 and showed much promise from there without having a succession of serious injuries other than a finger issue. He's had reasonably consistent football since then, not disruptions. Of course he is going to be a stand out. Schuster is no where near his potential yet, still feeling his way, interfered by injuries and being switched form five eighth and second row. Excuses yes, but justified

Then there is the Burbo or Schuster argument. Why does it have to either/ or. They can both play together and in fact its been seen that they thrive off each others play.

I really think we should allow Schuster time to adjust. Yes he has disappointed in 22/23 but he was outstanding in 21 so we know the talent is there. And whether we like it or not, we're stuck with him. No way another club is at this stage going to offer what he earns now. Give it time. If he can avoid injury I suspect we'll be lauding his performances in a few months

No question that Schuster has been a disappointment over the past 2 years, but then injury has plagued him during that period, just as it seemed to be doing to Burbo. Short memory by some may show that Burbo was not being seen as a first grade potential only just last year. Steady but not built up enough, easily knocked about, living in his two brothers shadow. Doesn't take much before, with a little luck with injuries and a strong off season build up, he is now spoken of as a first pick back rower. It should be noted that he is only a few months younger than Schuster at 22.

Then there is the comparison in the last Reserve Grade game of Schuster and Crichton. Schuster has been struggling with injuries for some time now. Crichton is coming back from injury but he was playing finals football last year. He is also 28, hardened, at the peak of his game. He didn't come to prominence until he was 21 and showed much promise from there without having a succession of serious injuries other than a finger issue. He's had reasonably consistent football since then, not disruptions. Of course he is going to be a stand out. Schuster is no where near his potential yet, still feeling his way, interfered by injuries and being switched form five eighth and second row. Excuses yes, but justified

Then there is the Burbo or Schuster argument. Why does it have to either/ or. They can both play together and in fact its been seen that they thrive off each others play.

I really think we should allow Schuster time to adjust. Yes he has disappointed in 22/23 but he was outstanding in 21 so we know the talent is there. And whether we like it or not, we're stuck with him. No way another club is at this stage going to offer what he earns now. Give it time. If he can avoid injury I suspect we'll be lauding his performances in a few months
I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments @Bearfax, particularly as (as you rightfully point out) we are “stuck” with Schu on the coin that we are paying him…
My only points would be that (imo):
1. he was good in 21 but I think “outstanding” is somewhat of a stretch… he certainly demonstrated his capabilities and his tackling was better but he still lacked consistency…
2. He and Burbo only work together in the same team if Schu is in the halves or one of them is a bench forward - Option A only happens once DCE retires now (bird has flown for the 6 role) and Option B likely works as a replacement option (ie. Burbo off/Schu on) so they would likely not ball together…
It benefits the team is Schu reaches the level that many commentators (with much more experience than I) believe he is capable of and I hope he does…

Not in anyway a personal attack on you, but this type of viewpoint has been put across ad nauseam for the better part of two years now. Give him time, give him time, give him time. 2021. 2021. 2021. Injuries, injuries, injuries. There is a pattern of extenuating circumstances and excuses that mount up to anecdotal evidence that there is a big problem. I see no purpose in apportioning blame, it is what it is, but I think enough is enough. If he was cheap, I could live with it but he’s not.

I think we cut him loose. He might end up a player but so might lots of others.

I watched the Blacktown game yesterday, Schuster is a lot bigger in size this year compared to last. Obviously for a 2nd row position.

It was his first hit out, the team including him played like bludgers yesterday, He looked out of juice pretty early in the game and had minimal impact on the overall game. After seeing his, I believe he is a good 6 weeks away from being match fit and ready for first grade.

The first team are doing fine right now, the ball is in Josh's court!!

Not in anyway a personal attack on you, but this type of viewpoint has been put across ad nauseam for the better part of two years now. Give him time, give him time, give him time. 2021. 2021. 2021. Injuries, injuries, injuries. There is a pattern of extenuating circumstances and excuses that mount up to anecdotal evidence that there is a big problem. I see no purpose in apportioning blame, it is what it is, but I think enough is enough. If he was cheap, I could live with it but he’s not.

Remember how good turbo was in 2021 too. Seems like a bit of a weird outlier season where individual brilliance was probably highlighted off the back of the six again rule change and expansive free flowing football that allowed players like josh to play a more ad lib style with less grind. As soon as things regulated themselves and have gone back to a more structured and tougher style of play he’s been really patchy and generally seen as lazy.

I agree , however , the ball is in his court , if he’s cut loose he won’t be signing on for the “ supposed “ $800k a year elsewhere so it’s in his best interest to step up and show what he’s capable of.

If he continues to be a lazy wannabe in reserve grade , then I’d support this 110%.

Yes I know he’s had a lot of chances , but he’s pretty much rock bottom now , so if it’s going to be its up to him !!

Shoes big play was his ball work, in particular linking Tom down our left edge, well Brooks has slotted in their beautifully, watching a couple of our attacking raids to the left, Brookies all over it, it’s kind of sad for Shoe, Burbo‘s a worker and we need that, Shoe will never bring Ben’s level of commitment or energy, we need Ben’s work ethic. It’s also fair to say there’s a fair upside to Ben’s game, happy to see him in the side and with Brookies I just don’t see where Shoe fits in anymore.

Shoes big play was his ball work, in particular linking Tom down our left edge, well Brooks has slotted in their beautifully, watching a couple of our attacking raids to the left, Brookies all over it, it’s kind of sad for Shoe, Burbo‘s a worker and we need that, Shoe will never bring Ben’s level of commitment or energy, we need Ben’s work ethic. It’s also fair to say there’s a fair upside to Ben’s game, happy to see him in the side and with Brookies I just don’t see where Shoe fits in anymore.
This is also my take… do we even want him playing “heads-up” footy” if he comes on off the bench as an edge forward?
Too many cooks etc..
No doubt Schu has untapped ability but I am just not sure how/where he slots in whilst Brooks is playing well in his current role… and if he does slot in, is it a reduced role (ie. ball-playing and edge running only)

Shu was apparently tracking all right in his pre season preparation [ well according to some reports ] until his bout of sickness and injury .
Really pleased that Burbo is establishing himself as a capable edge player but still missed 8 tackles yesterday and would not say the full package yet but again a fitting reward for his dedicated and commitment approach to still be contributing well this season .
The only short term [ or looks like a bit longer now ] opportunity for Shu is to eventually show enough form and stamina to fit in and in conjunction with Burbo but even occupying a bench spot eventually could be a bit problematic how things are occurring at present with the team make up
Big question obviously and think still valid [ or reasonably so ] , can he regain his largely good season 21 form level ..
Like to think still a good chance , taking into account just how good he has been in past times but again no sure thing unless he can turn things around in a fairly significant way not too far down the track

I watched the Blacktown game yesterday, Schuster is a lot bigger in size this year compared to last. Obviously for a 2nd row position.

It was his first hit out, the team including him played like bludgers yesterday, He looked out of juice pretty early in the game and had minimal impact on the overall game. After seeing his, I believe he is a good 6 weeks away from being match fit and ready for first grade.

Yeah I think he should just treat the next 2 months like a preseason and build his fitness. He'll get a chance before the year is out, unless we have a horror run with injuries.

Having said that, if he can't defend like a back rower / lock then he's going to be a bench forward at best.

Agreed Leonard that this has been going on as you say ad nauseam. To a lesser extent as I pointed out, the criticism aimed at Burbo has gone on for a few years, though less prominent as an issue. The same criticism of DCE when he was struggling to hold together a side with Turbo out for 50% of the time for four years. Many wanted to swap with Foran...yeh that would work not. Then there was the Walker issue.

What I'm suggested, and this is in no way personal, many supporters expect a quick fix, to forget that many players take time to establish themselves especially if they suffer a succession of injuries, struggle and are crucified if the team is losing consistently (eg Brooks at Wests). Supporters can be hard and somewhat unsympathetic judges. Some players burst on the scene. Others take time. Remember the parable of the Tortoise and the Hare. As one grows older, the importance of patience becomes more and more essential. Have always said if Schuster doesn't reach his potential in years to come, we've bought a turkey. As you can see with how Manly are performing it probably wont hurt much. However, if he does achieve his potential, we have a game breaker. Its a risk but the pros outweigh the cons, I would have thought..

I only caught the highlights reel, and TBH, I was shocked by his size. At first I had to google to check that it was him in #26. I understand he has been changing his body shape for moving into the back row, but I thought he looked way too big, which will probably further stunt his already lack of speed. Hopefully, the coaching staff and himself are looking to get his build and fitness right over the next couple of months.

Really pleased that Burbo is establishing himself as a capable edge player but still missed 8 tackles yesterday and would not say the full package yet but again a fitting reward for his dedicated and commitment approach to still be contributing well this season .
@manly al, what that 8 missed tackles stat doesn't tell us is how many when he was playing second row or centre ( he filled in there for 25mins ).
That may have been a contributing factor.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8