The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Maybe a bit like the traditional league props who needed to to play for a month and a half to get their match fitness up, then wham, ready to rock and roll. Schu is definitely on an upward trajectory at present, which is great.
Still can't help thinking his simple drop ball late in the game could have been fatigue affecting his concentration, ie, fitness related, but that's just a guess of course.
Anyway, great to see him run a bit, keep it up Schu!

Maybe a bit like the traditional league props who needed to to play for a month and a half to get their match fitness up, then wham, ready to rock and roll. Schu is definitely on an upward trajectory at present, which is great.
Still can't help thinking his simple drop ball late in the game could have been fatigue affecting his concentration, ie, fitness related, but that's just a guess of course.
He’s been sick this week, so may have been that too.

Yep, was good to see him running the ball yesterday. Maybe starting to get some confidence back?

If you think about his year, he gave up representing his country to get fit to play for Manly and not much has gone right since he got injured early on. I reckon it’s been a pretty big mental battle as the season has not played out for him like he would have thought.

Less pressure on him now with the Brooks signing and it just might be what Schu needs to realise his potential.

I thought he was really good yesterday.

It was great to see him change things up and take on the line.

Schu needs a good platform to be laid for him then he is unstoppable.

Since Api and Fainu left we have never signed another hooker and we let AFB and Marty go who were our best props and didn’t sign anyone else except for Lodge. Obviously Marty was coming to the end of his career but we have missed AFB immensely.

Schu needs a good platform to be laid for him then he is unstoppable.

Since Api and Fainu left we have never signed another hooker and we let AFB and Marty go who were our best props and didn’t sign anyone else except for Lodge. Obviously Marty was coming to the end of his career but we have missed AFB immensely.
Paseka and Lodge would of carved Easts up and laid the platform for Schuster to lay on plays. Hard for Schuster to do his thing when you only have Woods and Sipley as your spearheads in the fwd.

Paseka and Lodge would of carved Easts up and laid the platform for Schuster to lay on plays. Hard for Schuster to do his thing when you only have Woods and Sipley as your spearheads in the fwd.
Still has enough experience by now to manage a game better then last night .
Passing and timing and set up play should have been of a much better standard even if the attack could have had a bit more go forward .
Showed what a gifted player he can be towards the end but needs a whole lot different mindset approach and so much better attacking judgement to really be the asset that he is certainly capable of .
Won "t go into defensive issues but that is another matter again

Still has enough experience by now to manage a game better then last night .
Passing and timing and set up play should have been of a much better standard even if the attack could have had a bit more go forward .
Showed what a gifted player he can be towards the end but needs a whole lot different mindset approach and so much better attacking judgement to really be the asset that he is certainly capable of .
Know what you're saying al, but if the battering rams aren't punching holes and skitling would be tacklers, it cuts down Schusters options with ball in hand.

I don't wanna start another Schuster pile on because lord knows we have enough of them, but I feel compelled to voice my concerns regarding his game. It seems absurd to criticise one of only two players that managed to assist in scoring us some points last night, but I digress.

I think he looks slow and unfit again. Maybe I am imagining things?

I don't think he has any toughness to his game whatsoever. Well any FG footballer is 'tough' to go out there and mix it with 120kg giants, but I suppose I mean 'hard edge' in the Joel Thompson sense. He is literally a passenger for most of the match. Looks fatigued from the kick off, no acceleration to speak of and just goes through the motions.

As a 6, he is far too slow and outside of the occasional good short ball and a chip and chase, offers little.

As a forward, he does not have the aggression and physicality to be effective.

I'd pay him 350k and play him off the bench at best.

I really hope something drastic happens in the off season because regardless of whether he is on 600k or 800k, he is overpaid and lacking the competitive drive and enthusiasm to be a factor. Our team is full of slow and soft forwards and the money we've spent on Schu could have been used to get some serious hard edge and/or leg speed into the team.

His celebration of the chip and chase try last night when we were down 26-2, kinda gave me the impression that as long as he does something individual and flashy, he is satisfied. In the context of the match, it should have been 'game face on' and lets go again. Instead it was like he'd won the Superbowl.

I know this post is a little harsh and but it's a forum and everyone is giving their opinion, so I might as well voice mine. I'm a concerned fan and mean no offence to Josh or his supporters. I guess I am just questioning what's going on with his development.

Agree, we saw a glimpse near the end but from my perspective it seemed most of the game in attack he was just catching and passing...
Totally agree with everything you said and would add he looks slow and unfit again...and very 'bulky'. You're not imagining things...I think he's just not built or for that matter cut-out to play at 6 and doesn't do anywhere near enough to earn the $ he's on or that 5/8's command.

I've given up waiting for him to prove his worth. Moving him back to the forwards can't come quick enough, imo.

I don't wanna start another Schuster pile on because lord knows we have enough of them, but I feel compelled to voice my concerns regarding his game. It seems absurd to criticise one of only two players that managed to assist in scoring us some points last night, but I digress.

I don't think he has any toughness to his game whatsoever. Well any FG footballer is 'tough' to go out there and mix it with 120kg giants, but I suppose I mean 'hard edge' in the Joel Thompson sense. He is literally a passenger for most of the match. Looks fatigued from the kick off, no acceleration to speak of and just goes through the motions.

As a 6, he is far too slow and outside of the occasional good short ball and a chip and chase, offers little.

I really hope something drastic happens in the off season because regardless of whether he is on 600k or 800k, he is overpaid and lacking the competitive drive and enthusiasm to be a factor. Our team is full of slow and soft forwards and the money we've spent on Schu could have been used to get some serious hard edge and/or leg speed into the team.

His celebration of the chip and chase try last night when we were down 26-2, kinda gave me the impression that as long as he does something individual and flashy, he is satisfied. In the context of the match, it should have been 'game face on' and lets go again. Instead it was like he'd won the Superbowl.

I know this post is a little harsh and but it's a forum and everyone is giving their opinion, so I might as well voice mine. I'm a concerned fan and mean no offence to Josh or his supporters. I guess I am just questioning what's going on with his development.
I'm a Schuster fan also, but you've nailed every point. Schuster is a long way off from the player he was in 2021.

Everyone says that this kid has potential? I am yet to see him live up to the hype consistently and for what we are paying him I'd be happy to see that money spent elsewhere. Anyone that is any good always ends up at Broncs, Roosters, Storm or Souths or Panthers. The fact that none of the big non basket case clubs seem to be not in interested in him at the price he is asking says a lot about what winning teams see in him and why we are where we are at as a club. Too many over priced duds not living up to their pay packets.

Everyone says that this kid has potential? I am yet to see him live up to the hype consistently and for what we are paying him I'd be happy to see that money spent elsewhere. Anyone that is any good always ends up at Broncs, Roosters, Storm or Souths or Panthers. The fact that none of the big non basket case clubs seem to be not in interested in him at the price he is asking says a lot about what winning teams see in him and why we are where we are at as a club. Too many over priced duds not living up to their pay packets.
He's a 5/8 with all the ball skills, chip kicks and passing all are A1. But the other part of his game isn't there. Picking the right time to run the ball, making tackles that stick, also drifts in and out of games when the team really needs him to step up. Right now as supporters we're in a holding position with Shoe, just waiting for that game where it all comes together.

The Schu seems to see himself as "THE" playmaker. So, on that basis, he thinks he can drift in and out of games and that it also excuses him from doing the "hard" work.

Until he is prepared to get into the "grind" he will not be additive to Manly.

Good analysis ... it's a very real concern ... if he doesn't come good it will hamstring our salary cap management for years

Worth pointing out that he still created 2/3 tries last night, and has the same amount of try assists for the season as DCE (with 5 less games).

He has some things to work on (and I hope he does address them) but we will be a better football team with him playing consistently good football where he is much more involved.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8