The No-Look News (Schuster Chronicles)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
Wow ... I am trying to get my head around how quickly the narrative in this thread changed.

It seems only a week ago I was being abused for some moderate criticism...

Now punters are loudly calling for him to be punted out the door.

The Shooey is a prodigious talent ... it will be very sad if he doesn't achieve his potential somewhere.

I still hope it is here at manly.
Yeah I have never really been convinced by the hype but you are right about the narrative flipping on its head…

I think people are just fed up with the inconsistency of the team as a whole and Schu is copping it (rightfully imo) because his hot-and-cold form (combined with his reported salary) is such an obvious target…

Schu was brilliant 2 weeks ago and whilst that reminded supporters of his talent, the following week reminded us all how little he is delivering at 6 overall… jmo…

I'm not convinced that we've given the "Schu at 6" experiment enough time. Yes, he's looked crap when the team has looked crap, but he's also looked good when the team has looked good. When we're struggling, the focus is on his failings as playmaker, much as it is on Cherry as well, but I still think it's more to do with the team as a whole. That said, he really needs to stop throwing out a limp arm in defence.

‘Josh is across everything’: Seibold insists Brooks’ four-year deal won’t ruffle Schuster

Would not discuss what position Brooks would play but in the next breath mentions that Brooks had been halfback of the year…?

The fact this has happened before Schu re-signed seems pretty obvious that whilst Josh “is across everything”, the coach will coach and he (Josh) will play should he choose to stay on…

Josh is across everything’: Seibold insists Brooks’ four-year deal won’t ruffle Schuster​

Dan Walsh

By Dan Walsh

Updated June 26, 2023 — 5.51pm

Manly coach Anthony Seibold insists Luke Brooks’ signing on a lucrative four-year deal will not force prodigious playmaker Josh Schuster out of the club.

The Sea Eagles’ significant investment in Brooks, first reported by this masthead, will pitch one of the most maligned players in the game into the halves next season alongside veteran skipper Daly Cherry-Evans.

Brooks’ arrival from November comes as Schuster - who has been emphatic about wanting to play in the halves - continues to weigh up a three-year, $2.4 million extension offer that would keep him at the club until the end of 2027.
As well as Brooks, Manly has also signed Roosters winger Jaxson Paulo (three years) and Tigers back Tommy Talau (two years) from next season, and also locked in a three-year extension for rugby union target Tolu Koula.

Seibold declined to comment on where Brooks would line up in 2024.
Regarding Schuster, sources at Manly have confirmed a potential return to the back-row has been discussed with the 22-year-old

PHOTOS
“Josh is across everything that we’ve been planning,” Seibold told this masthead.
“We want Josh to stay, we’ve offered him an extension to his deal and that hasn’t changed. There’s been clear communication with Josh on the areas of the game he needs to grow and the areas that he’s doing well.

“Signing Brooksy adds competition for spots to our group and brings in a quality player who has been a Dally M halfback of the year, who has played 200 games and is only 28 turning 29.”

Brooks recently knocked back a three-year extension from the Tigers, worth around $600,000 annually, to test his value on the open market after 11 seasons at his junior club.
It’s believed the extra year offered by Manly proved pivotal in securing his signature after recently meeting with Seibold.
Brooks has long been a lightning rod for criticism at the joint-venture having never played finals, though he had been in impressive form until suffering a hamstring injury three weeks ago.
Advertisement

Both Tim Sheens and his coaching successor Benji Marshall were keen to retain the playmaker, though other elements of the Tigers hierarchy remained unconvinced.
Brooks ranks as one of the highest earners in the game this year on a back-ended deal worth more than $1 million but has long been prepared to take a significant pay cut on his next contract.
Luke Brooks will arrive at Manly after 11 years with the Tigers.

Luke Brooks will arrive at Manly after 11 years with the Tigers.CREDIT: GETTY
Seibold was circumspect regarding the criticism Brooks has worn for years at the Tigers, but believes the influence of Cherry-Evans and the Trbojevic brothers can bring out his best.
“What I like about Brooksy, he’s got a really good left-foot kicking game, he’s a very good runner of the football and he takes the line on really well,” Seibold said.

Obviously, he’s been the No.7 at the Tigers for a long time, but it wouldn’t be fair for me to comment on what pressure he’s been under, having not been a part of that club.

“What I do think is that the good role models that we’ve got at this club, they can help grow Luke’s game, and we can get him playing the best footy of his career here.”

Brooks’ arrival continues Manly’s roster upheaval as a swap deal that would see Talau start his contract early and send highly rated young half Latu Fainu to the Tigers remains on the table.
Negotiations around that deal and Talau’s arrival will dictate what the club does with $350,000 in salary cap relief granted to sign an outside backafter Trbojevic’s season-ending pec rupture while playing for NSW.
Advertisement

Seibold insisted Manly’s extension offer to Schuster is proof the club wants to retain him, but he conceded rival interest could sway the Samoan international if he is a free agent by November 1.
“I’m in constant communication with Josh and his family. We want to keep him at Manly, he’s been here since he was 14.
“He’ll have a decision to make because I’m sure that there’ll be interest from other parties, but we want to keep Josh here and in any case he’s contracted for 2024.”
As reported by this masthead on Monday, a push for the Tigers to pursue Schuster was knocked on the head by Marshall.
The Tigers own halves stocks remain worryingly thin for next year given Adam Doueihi is recovering from an ACL rupture, Brandon Wakeham is off-contract and the club has missed out on Mitchell Moses, Cameron Munster and Shaun Johnson.

first

‘Josh is across everything’: Seibold insists Brooks’ four-year deal won’t ruffle Schuster

That reads like 'there's a deal to play edge if you want it' but we're resigned to the fact that you'll probably end up elsewhere chasing the 6 jumper.

Seems a lot of supporters here on ST suffer from dementia. Short term memory of a couple of weeks.

You see it on almost every thread. Sack DCE, DCE is a God, time to get rid of Turbo, Jake overpaid just because he is Tommys bro, Jake is the lifeblood of this club etc etc.

All the pensioners must have nothing better to do in life, or it really is dementia - either way, I am sorry.

God help this thread when Schu has a few good weeks - sign him for life!!
you're obviously a big fan and there's no swaying that and nor should there.

In the interests of discussing football, my concern is that Schu's highlights are all he offers. Some nice slick ball playing, etc. The trouble is, everything else is bogus. Defence is not up to FG standard, kicking game is hit and miss (not that it needs to be elite) and running game is non-existent (as is organising the other players on his edge). He is gassed by half time and starts looking for cheap points because he is running on an empty tank. The 'fitness' card has expired too; he's been training for weeks and strung games together and still looks wrecked.

He goes deep into the line and throws lovely passes. That's pretty much the extent of his offering at this point. Even the games he carves up, it's some nice passing and that's pretty much it. Against quality opposition, we'll more % plays to stay in the contest. I'm sure you see it differently, and that's totally fine. Again, in the interests of discussion, what are your thoughts on his overall game? I.e. independent of his try assists this year? Thanks.

Last edited:
An extension of 2.4 million over 3 years locking him down until 2027 is pretty fair, no details from Seibold where Brooks would play, only the second row has been discussed with Schuster.

My take away is that the club regards Josh very highly with the new deal and have included him into the loop of signing Brooks.

He is a talent and he may have to choose a position over coin if he really wants the 6 jumper elsewhere.

Hopefully Schuster is locked down soon and the noise goes away and he can just play footy.

Seems a lot of supporters here on ST suffer from dementia. Short term memory of a couple of weeks.

You see it on almost every thread. Sack DCE, DCE is a God, time to get rid of Turbo, Jake overpaid just because he is Tommys bro, Jake is the lifeblood of this club etc etc.

All the pensioners must have nothing better to do in life, or it really is dementia - either way, I am sorry.

God help this thread when Schu has a few good weeks - sign him for life!!
Can't speak for others but I'm pretty firm on this one. If he plays well then great, but I'd much prefer he moves on at this stage with all things considering. Seems the club may be thinking along the same lines

An extension of 2.4 million over 3 years locking him down until 2027 is pretty fair, no details from Seibold where Brooks would play, only the second row has been discussed with Schuster.

My take away is that the club regards Josh very highly with the new deal and have included him into the loop of signing Brooks.

He is a talent and he may have to choose a position over coin if he really wants the 6 jumper elsewhere.

Hopefully Schuster is locked down soon and the noise goes away and he can just play footy.
I hope he stays on the edge but the past suggests that is heavily invested in the idea of playing 6.

Can't speak for others but I'm pretty firm on this one. If he plays well then great, but I'd much prefer he moves on at this stage with all things considering. Seems the club may be thinking along the same lines
Yeah, you can't have some of the defence he's tossed up in games this year. Everyone wants to bang on about his highlights but there's so much else that's problematic, it's like 'where do we even start'? He botched a couple of 5th tackle plays that were unforgivable last week; running Bully down the edge on the last and that chip kick that went 5m up and into the arms of the Melbourne defence. I just don't think it's his position.

Not worth $800k to play in the back row. He still has no real form to suggest his own talk.

Why wouldn't he stay?
If the amount being offered is correct and he only has to play 50-60 mins each week on an edge, surely he'd take that.
Less pressure, more highlight reels, same dosh.

Yeah, you can't have some of the defence he's tossed up in games this year. Everyone wants to bang on about his highlights but there's so much else that's problematic, it's like 'where do we even start'? He botched a couple of 5th tackle plays that were unforgivable last week; running Bully down the edge on the last and that chip kick that went 5m up and into the arms of the Melbourne defence. I just don't think it's his position.
Definitely a mindset, and it probably has alot to do with his youth/experience going for low percentage plays. I just feel we can do better

Yeah I have never really been convinced by the hype but you are right about the narrative flipping on its head…

I think people are just fed up with the inconsistency of the team as a whole and Schu is copping it (rightfully imo) because his hot-and-cold form (combined with his reported salary) is such an obvious target…

Schu was brilliant 2 weeks ago and whilst that reminded supporters of his talent, the following week reminded us all how little he is delivering at 6 overall… jmo…
Schu at the very least needs a healthy Turbo to be in the side because the forwards aren't good enough to lay out the platform for him.

you're obviously a big fan and there's no swaying that and nor should there.

In the interests of discussing football, my concern is that Schu's highlights are all he offers. Some nice slick ball playing, etc. The trouble is, everything else is bogus. Defence is not up to FG standard, kicking game is hit and miss (not that it needs to be elite) and running game is non-existent (as is organising the other players on his edge). He is gassed by half time and starts looking for cheap points because he is running on an empty tank. The 'fitness' card has expired too; he's been training for weeks and strung games together and still looks wrecked.

He goes deep into the line and throws lovely passes. That's pretty much the extent of his offering at this point. Even the games he carves up, it's some nice passing and that's pretty much it. Against quality opposition, we'll more % plays to stay in the content. I'm sure you see it differently, and that's totally fine. Again, in the interests of discussion, what are your thoughts on his overall game? I.e. independent of his try assists this year? Thanks.

I am certainly not blind to Schu's weaknesses - but Rome was not build in a day.

Overall Schu needs to be fitter and more consistent. The training staff need to be kicking his butt during the week and working him more aerobically. I have no idea why there is a gap.
Unfortunately Schu has been relying on his natural talent for his entire career.

He seems to have no issues playing the first 25 mins before he is gassed. Short term,perhaps take him off after 25-30 mins and bring him back on with 30 to go.

Croker will have no issues in playing 5/8th for 20 mins. Schu should be able to play at 100% for 60mins and be dominant ball in hand, including running where needed. It also might embarrass Schu to be better the complete game, rather than some of it.

One would hope he will be completely fit in another few weeks where he goes back to 80 mins.

For whatever reason, he does not seem to be completely over his injured calf. As we have seen with Jake and Latrell, calf's can have you out for a long time and easy to re-injure.

If our forwards continue to get smashed 3 out of every 4 weeks, Schu won't do much as he won't be able to, much like DCE cannot be dominant.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Jethro
    Star Trekkin' across the universe

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10