The Manly Penalty Count

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I would love to see someone create an algorithm that gives a numerical weighting to how devastating a penalty is to a side in the context of a match, with things like stage of the match, closeness on the scoreboard, part of the field, lateness in the tackle count all taken in to account. For example a 4th or 5th tackle penalty in your own half whilst behind on the scoreboard could be given a 3 whilst a 1st tackle penalty attacking the line when already in the lead is given a 0.5. I think if you analysed the penalties on a metric like that even the penalty counts that appear close on paper would still be incredibly lop-sided against us.
I can do the algorithm, I just need to get hold of the raw data.

One game I heard DCE saying to the ref "You have to call it if we're offside." The ref was saying you have to be onside. DCE "Yes, but you have to call it, like you always do."

Now, ok, technically the ref doesn't have to say that at all but over the last 1000 years the refs have always yelled away.
"Jake, you're not square, Jake, get off him, Jake you're offside" - yes, Jake gets barked at a lot by the refs you notice?

So dce was saying it's unfair to ping us when you're not letting us know. You're letting the other team know, but not us, just giving us the penalty.

True

Refs suck

I can understand how a particular team in one season can get penalised continually. They obviously are pushing the boundaries.
But when a club is penalised year after year, despite changes in personnel and coaches, then it is referee bias.
Over many decades Manly and Easts have been on the wrong end of penalty counts. I'm sure this is because both clubs are regarded as elitist and over-successful.
I'm also sure if you surveyed where referees played their junior RL that the Easts and Manly junior leagues would have produced the fewest.
I'm not sure that many RL supporters know this but referees are human, and even if they think they are being unbiased they subconsciously will favour the team that they like most, and which is behind on the scoreboard in order to create a closer and more interesting spectacle. The games against Newcastle was a perfect example of the latter. The refs, and vidiots, got the Knights back into that match, and that encouraged the crowd which helped lift the Kinghts' players spirits.
Really, this was a great win when all the odds were stacked against us.

I can understand how a particular team in one season can get penalised continually. They obviously are pushing the boundaries.
But when a club is penalised year after year, despite changes in personnel and coaches, then it is referee bias.
Over many decades Manly and Easts have been on the wrong end of penalty counts. I'm sure this is because both clubs are regarded as elitist and over-successful.
I'm also sure if you surveyed where referees played their junior RL that the Easts and Manly junior leagues would have produced the fewest.
I'm not sure that many RL supporters know this but referees are human, and even if they think they are being unbiased they subconsciously will favour the team that they like most, and which is behind on the scoreboard in order to create a closer and more interesting spectacle. The games against Newcastle was a perfect example of the latter. The refs, and vidiots, got the Knights back into that match, and that encouraged the crowd which helped lift the Kinghts' players spirits.

I mean the roosters had to make a GF before they won a penalty count.

Just happened to be against us.

I wonder what that total cheat Shame Hayne is doing now? I bet he has a job with Uncle Nick.

edit: Nah, but he's doing a bang up job with all 3 Queensland sides! lolololololol

Hayne, who refereed 328 NRL matches, has relocated to Brisbane in his new role as the NRL’s transitional coach for referees. He said he would spend more time at Broncos, Titans and Cowboys training in his role where the focus will be transitioning the next crop of referees into the Telstra Premiership.

Last edited:
On the plus side, Manly have stopped arguing about them and are building up their resilience with each game :rock:
giphy.gif

It didn't do them any good, we played for the 80.

The real stats of penalties is their timeline and field position.

Knights had 7 in a row FFS :confused:

Bet that scatter graph would shed light on how much control on results the whistleblower really has :nerd:
The Ponga Knights are not allowed to fail ok, it just cant happen. Its not good for the game if they fail, they need all the help they can get. You know, with the bottomless salary cap and all. Poor Kalyn cant be earning that much, because he has to moonlight on the Matty Johns show..:giggle::giggle:@:mask:@:mask::finger::finger:

The Ponga Knights are not allowed to fail ok, it just cant happen. Its not good for the game if they fail, they need all the help they can get. You know, with the bottomless salary cap and all. Poor Kalyn cant be earning that much, because he has to moonlight on the Matty Johns show..:giggle::giggle:@:mask:@:mask::finger::finger:
Kent dropped a doozy last night on NRL360, hinting that Ponga is being head hunted by the All Blacks and he is open to it due to their prestige :nerd:

To be honest except for last week which bordered on cheating I don’t think we have been too badly done by. Refereeing as a whole over the six weeks has been a lot better with the exception of the continuing breaks given to the scum which just seems to be accepted these days. Last week had a couple of shockers across the round but Annersley is doing a lot better job than the last clown.

Amazingly we head into round 6 and I don’t think we have been pinged for hand-on-the-ball yet. Maybe they are saving that one until all else fails

Ponga will persue his dream of playing for the All Blacks, he is after the big bucks early.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8
7 4 3 -8 8